Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Texas Judge Rules In Favor Of Cheerleaders In Bible Banner Lawsuit

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM
  • 143 Replies
2 moms liked this

Texas Judge Rules In Favor Of Cheerleaders In Bible Banner Lawsuit

article image
By Jonathan Wolfe, Wed, May 08, 2013

A judge ruled on Wednesday that high school cheerleaders from Kountz High School in Southeast Texas are allowed to display banners with Bible verses on them at school football games.

"The Kountze cheerleader's banners that included religious messages and were displayed during the 2012 football season were constitutionally permissible. Neither the Establishment Clause nor any other law prohibits cheerleaders from using religious-themed banners at school sporting events," said State District Judge Steve Thomas.

Last fall, school district officials had told the cheerleaders to stop showing the banners before football games. In one picture, the cheerleaders are seen holding a banner that reads "If God is for us, who can be against us" with "Romans 8:31" written in the bottom right-hand corner.

The school officials barred the banners after receiving complaints from the Freedom from Religion Foundation. The advocacy group said the banners violated the First Amendment's Establishment Clause, which bars any government organization, such as public school, from establishing or endorsing any religion.

But the cheerleaders' legal team argued that the ban was infringing on the girls' free speech rights. They said the banner was not forcing anyone to believe in the Christian faith. A Facebook group titled "Support Kountze Kids Faith" was created in support of the cheerleaders and has over 45,000 members.

The school district eventually reversed their ruling and allowed the cheerleaders to display their banners. The reversal prompted Judge Thomas to release today's summary judgment, which eliminates the need for a trial. The trial was previously scheduled for June 24.

Source: CBS

by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:37 AM
4 moms liked this

Holding up that particular bible verse before sporting events is so tacky.

So very, very tacky.

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:38 AM
4 moms liked this

Good for them for sticking with it.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:39 AM
7 moms liked this

It is a win for Freedom of Speech.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Goof for them for sticking with it.

I agree! 

Goofy.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

It is a win for Freedom of Speech.

Jesus is *for* specific teams.

IhartU
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:40 AM

So, freedom of speech trumps religious freedom. I hope the religious people keep that in mind...

smartin27284
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:40 AM
3 moms liked this

Awesome! Good for them!

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:42 AM

thx for correcting my typing error.

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Goof for them for sticking with it.

I agree! 

Goofy.

IhartU
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Good for them? What utter BULLSHIT. I don't care what one Judge says, that is a CLEAR violation of the Constitution but of course, it's Christianity involved, so let's all look the other way. I dare say if those Cheerleaders wanted to hold up verses from the Qu'ran- there would have been a different verdict.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on May. 9, 2013 at 9:11 AM
4 moms liked this

It's Texas... Christians are given preferential treatment, because here, non christians are worthless. 

It's a horrible place to live for non christians and dangerous

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN