Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teenagers and Birth Control...and parental notification

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM
  • 86 Replies

So I'm involved in a discussion elsewhere and there are parents out there who sincerely feel that if their 'under 18' daughter goes to the doctor for birth control that parents should be notified. That they sincerely want to be involved if their daughter is having sex.

What are your thoughts on this?

Is it a double standard to require parental notification for girls under 18 trying to get birth control at the doctor, but still allowing boys to purchase condoms off the rack?

If its REALLY about parents wanting to know their daughter is sexually active, shouldn't parents be notified if their son buys condoms?

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lizardannie1966
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM

A few years ago, I would have been one of the adamant ones--"I will be informed and because it's MY right!"

But where is the right of the child, especially one who knows his or her parent's will refuse to allow them to be on birth control or use condoms during sex?

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM
3 moms liked this
I do not think parents should be notified. There are many girls out there who do not have family support and need to feel safe going to a doctor or clinic.

As a side note: as a parent it would devastate me if my daughters didn't come to me first. It would be an epic fail in my part. I have always talked openly to my daughters and they know they can come to me with anything.
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this

if you go with that (warped) logic, then yes. But what will end up happening is that girls will not be going to the doctor for their BC and instead opt for the PlanB which is OTC.

I would hope my teen children would come to me about this. But I feel i also have to resepct their privacy (as much it it would kill me!). I feel that I do not need to know they are sexually active and just hpe and pray that they are being safe and making smart choices- obtaining BC is a part of that.

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:02 AM
3 moms liked this

Sorta. 

Honestly, I think the risks of sex are different for boys and girls, because girls will be responsible for a pregnancy in the way that a boy just won't.

I, personally, don't agree with parental notification laws or standards generally, on the basis that I don't think people should rely on the government to create a relationship between them and their child. If your child can't talk to you about her sex life, I think that's your problem, not the government's.

parentalrights1
by on May. 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
People are still of the mindset that the little sluts sexuality needs to be controlled.

Girls have the right, no matter what the age, to prevent their own pregnancies
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Condoms do not have any potential side effects that can come with hormonal BC.

While I would like to know if my under 18 year old is in need of BC and if she is taking it, what kind and all that goes with it, I know that she may very well not come to me as her oldest sister did.

Way back in the 80s, I was able to get BC without my mother being aware of it.  Thank goodness I was.  She was evil and had she known, there would have been hell to pay.  

I was so scared that she would find out and literally hurt me that we used condoms and such and I became pregnant and had an abortion at the age of 17.  She never knew.  I would have been hurt far worse.

So, for those with mothers like mine, it may very well be an absolute necessity.

I just worry that too many young girls will seek this out and not truly be informed enough.  Then again, if they are seeking it without wanting their parents to be aware, their relationship with their parents isn't the best and most likely, their parents would not help educate them either.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Your logic makes sense. But on the other hand, if the parents want to be that involved (and I think they should), they would also have long ago talked quite openly about relationships, sex, etc, and they would have given them or told them they would give them birth control for when they time came.

KennyPooPoo22
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this
No one except for the two people involved should need to know about what BC is used, whatever the age.
I hope that my dd will come to me, but if she chooses not to, that will be ok
talia-mom
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Yeah hormones should never be the concern of a parent of a 15 year old. Just pay if she has an issue.
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 9, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

All of this. Well said.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I do not think parents should be notified. There are many girls out there who do not have family support and need to feel safe going to a doctor or clinic.

As a side note: as a parent it would devastate me if my daughters didn't come to me first. It would be an epic fail in my part. I have always talked openly to my daughters and they know they can come to me with anything.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)