Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think Jodi Arias should get the death penalty she asked for?

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM
  • 53 Replies

Jodi Arias on Suicide Watch After Asking for the Death Penalty (VIDEO)

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

Jodi AriasYesterday, a jury of her peers convicted Jodi Arias of First Degree, premeditated murder after she stabbed her on-again, off-again boyfriend Travis Alexander to death in the shower. The crime was horrific -- she shot him in the head, stabbed him 27 times, and slashed his throat -- and it does possibly mean she could get the death penalty.

If she does, it would be a mistake. Why? Because she wants it.

Soon after her conviction, Arias told Fox 10 that she did not want life in prison and that death would be like freedom. And this is EXACTLY why the death penalty is such a completely ridiculous punishment. For the person who commits the crime, it is freedom. It is a get out of jail free card. In most cases, it is what they prefer. And I don't blame them. I would rather be dead than imprisoned for life as well. This is what Arias said:

The worst outcome for me would be natural life ... Longevity runs in my family, and I don't want to spend the rest of my natural life in one place. I said years ago I'd rather get death than life and that still is true today. I believe death is the ultimate freedom, so I'd rather just have my freedom as soon as I can get it. 

See what I mean? She knows death is easier than life confined to one space. Now she is on suicide watch and hell, given how manipulative she is accused of being, it is entirely possible she is saying this just to make them give her the opposite. But I doubt it.

The death penalty IS easier. Sure, some might say it saves the state money since they don't have to house criminals, but actually given the number of appeals necessary for a death penalty case, that is actually just not true.

Even more to the point, unless you believe in an after life, then giving a person death is just ending their days. It ends their suffering. Personally, I would find living decades behind bars far more horrific and painful than a few minutes of agony followed by black stillness.

If Arias is manipulating us, she makes a compelling case. The death penalty is not a good punishment. Once the bad guys are dead, no one is paying for the crime any more. That's not justice. It's retaliation and a poor form of that, to boot.

I say let Arias rot for life knowing what she did. I say let her pay for her crime and think about it for the rest of her (possibly long) life. I say that's a worse punishment than anything that comes in a syringe.

See the verdict HERE

Do you think Arias should get death?

by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
parentalrights1
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM
I really don't care either way but if people want her to suffer then she will get life
AlekD
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM
2 moms liked this
No. I dont believe in the death penalty.
AJsMom81507
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

it costs more to kill her than let her sit in jail.. she can waive her appeals, but it still costs more... i would rather her suffer in jail then to put her out of her misery

Lizardannie1966
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM

On the fence.

She wants it, so why give her what SHE wants?

On the other hand, why should we tax payers pay for this murderer to spend the rest of life in prison when she clearly is guilty and (IMO) deserves the death penalty?

She won't get it. I have a sneaky suspicion that she will not receive a death sentence and because she is mentally insane, despite the fact that she planned that murder from start to finish.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM
2 moms liked this
No. Whatever she asks for, she should be given the opposite. Then again, maybe that's what she's trying to do. Trying to make them do the opposite of what she says so she gets ger way. She's a manipulative psycho
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I think she's playing the reverse psychology game. She's pure evil imo.

usmc0351wife
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Unless she pulls a Timothy Mcvay (sp) who waived all his appeals and wanted put to death, she will more than likely sit in jail her whole life anyway,  there is already a woman on death row in AZ.  The list moves so slowly because we allow so many appeals 

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on May. 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm anti-death penalty, so no.
KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

No, she should be in prison the rest of her and isolated from TV, newspapers, etc....  She is a media whore and that needs to be stopped.   That will truly cause her suffering when she can't be the center of attention.  

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I can not stand this woman and so I did not (could not) read this whole OP. With that being said- I hope she DOES NOT get the death penalty and let her sit in jail all the rest of her days. This woman is a drama whore and would love to have the daeth penalty hearings (the very costly and time consuming hearings). Nah- lock 'er up in a cell and the rest of society can move on. In time, her story will be a crappy Lifetime movie on-demand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)