Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think Jodi Arias should get the death penalty she asked for?

Posted by   + Show Post

Jodi Arias on Suicide Watch After Asking for the Death Penalty (VIDEO)

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

Jodi AriasYesterday, a jury of her peers convicted Jodi Arias of First Degree, premeditated murder after she stabbed her on-again, off-again boyfriend Travis Alexander to death in the shower. The crime was horrific -- she shot him in the head, stabbed him 27 times, and slashed his throat -- and it does possibly mean she could get the death penalty.

If she does, it would be a mistake. Why? Because she wants it.

Soon after her conviction, Arias told Fox 10 that she did not want life in prison and that death would be like freedom. And this is EXACTLY why the death penalty is such a completely ridiculous punishment. For the person who commits the crime, it is freedom. It is a get out of jail free card. In most cases, it is what they prefer. And I don't blame them. I would rather be dead than imprisoned for life as well. This is what Arias said:

The worst outcome for me would be natural life ... Longevity runs in my family, and I don't want to spend the rest of my natural life in one place. I said years ago I'd rather get death than life and that still is true today. I believe death is the ultimate freedom, so I'd rather just have my freedom as soon as I can get it. 

See what I mean? She knows death is easier than life confined to one space. Now she is on suicide watch and hell, given how manipulative she is accused of being, it is entirely possible she is saying this just to make them give her the opposite. But I doubt it.

The death penalty IS easier. Sure, some might say it saves the state money since they don't have to house criminals, but actually given the number of appeals necessary for a death penalty case, that is actually just not true.

Even more to the point, unless you believe in an after life, then giving a person death is just ending their days. It ends their suffering. Personally, I would find living decades behind bars far more horrific and painful than a few minutes of agony followed by black stillness.

If Arias is manipulating us, she makes a compelling case. The death penalty is not a good punishment. Once the bad guys are dead, no one is paying for the crime any more. That's not justice. It's retaliation and a poor form of that, to boot.

I say let Arias rot for life knowing what she did. I say let her pay for her crime and think about it for the rest of her (possibly long) life. I say that's a worse punishment than anything that comes in a syringe.

See the verdict HERE

Do you think Arias should get death?

by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Replies (51-53):
Sabrina411
by New Member on May. 10, 2013 at 1:50 AM
I think they should just let her kill herself and save their money. Her being in prison is not a punishment. Inmates have so many rights its unbelievable. She'll get top of the line medical benefits see her family once a week have makeup and all kinds of snacks she can get married to some quack watch tv go to school. Doesn't sound like punishment to me..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SentRegards
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 4:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Who cares what she wants. She murdered him. She should get life because that's what she DOESNT want. Let her LIVE with it

If she gets death it should be the same as travis's
dawnie1
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I think they should give her the death penalty because, and be patient with me here, if she gets the d/p they will not execute her for years if ever. In the mean time she will sit in a cell, alone, for years. Nobody to fawn over her which is what will happen if she gets life and is put in general population. She will have no one to manipulate. That will surely be a horrible punishment for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured