Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Dallas Superintendent under fire for his desire to improve the district...

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM
  • 8 Replies

That's right, folks! Mike Miles was hired out of CO last year to be the new super to Dallas ISD which is known to have more than a few problems. Miles has a history of expecting more out of his staff and in return he treats them better than most other staff. After a year of observation, Miles came out and said that some of the principles in the repetitive low performance schools could and probably would be fired. Upon this admission, the NAACP came out and said that Miles is a racist and should be fired.....

Miles appears to have African American genes and is solely basing his decisions on performance so how is this racist in any way? DISD has a history of being a joke of an education program and the one person who can turn it around is being harrased within his first year of employment?!

by on May. 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Just because someone is black doesn't mean they can't be racist. Being racist is making a judgment about someone based on race...the color of the "judger" doesn't matter, it's the judgement that they make that determines whether or not someone is racist.

Having no details about what his plan is, what he observed, or why the NAACP considers him racist it's impossible to comment any further about the situation.

enlightened_24
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I did take the race thing into consideration but Miles has shown no signs of racism during his stay at DISD. Miles is holding performance standards as a measurement tool for his faculty. Those that have repeatedly failed their students are being evaluated. Miles is set to sit in classes with the teachers in underperforming school and evaluate them (old school!) as well as administering tests to determine if the way he has not approved could work. Basically, Miles came into Dallas and told everyone he will not be swayed or bought and everyone is pissed because he is igniting change. DISD is a complete joke and I truly believe they are running this man out because he will not abide by hidden agendas.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 4:04 PM

It is not in the NAACP's interest for under perforning schools to improve.

Case closed.

Quoting enlightened_24:

I did take the race thing into consideration but Miles has shown no signs of racism during his stay at DISD. Miles is holding performance standards as a measurement tool for his faculty. Those that have repeatedly failed their students are being evaluated. Miles is set to sit in classes with the teachers in underperforming school and evaluate them (old school!) as well as administering tests to determine if the way he has not approved could work. Basically, Miles came into Dallas and told everyone he will not be swayed or bought and everyone is pissed because he is igniting change. DISD is a complete joke and I truly believe they are running this man out because he will not abide by hidden agendas.

momtimesx4
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Quoting Billiejeens:

It is not in the NAACP's interest for under perforning schools to improve.

Case closed.

This....and you can thank Judge Barefoot Sanders for it all.

enlightened_24
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I understand but several other people have come out stating that Miles doesnt care about history...All he is trying to do is improve things. His staff in CO hated to see him leave because nobody treats them like he does (allegedly). He has a plan to improve the education here and people want him gone because he doesnt play by their rules. I pray he sticks it out and proves them all wrong. He is under such attack.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Again, there is no political benefit to improving the school system.

Private or home-school is the only real answer.

(and you're in texas, be glad you are not somewhere even worse)

Quoting enlightened_24:

I understand but several other people have come out stating that Miles doesnt care about history...All he is trying to do is improve things. His staff in CO hated to see him leave because nobody treats them like he does (allegedly). He has a plan to improve the education here and people want him gone because he doesnt play by their rules. I pray he sticks it out and proves them all wrong. He is under such attack.

BeachMommy07
by on May. 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM

This!

Quoting UpSheRises:

Just because someone is black doesn't mean they can't be racist. Being racist is making a judgment about someone based on race...the color of the "judger" doesn't matter, it's the judgement that they make that determines whether or not someone is racist.

Having no details about what his plan is, what he observed, or why the NAACP considers him racist it's impossible to comment any further about the situation.

enlightened_24
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Do all private schools cost a ton? We have no spare monies for a huge commitment like that (which sucks) and DH is home all day but doesnt have the want to or skills or something to do it (according to him) Its BS that education is political. These kids are going to grow up being completely inadequate to handle their own lives, much less run a country. I wouldnt be so quick to assume Dallas isn't all that bad. Their handbook is a complete joke and there are practically no requirements to make good grades. I have tried looking for work from home jobs but nothing seems to come through...If I could be home, I would pull his butt out of school tomorrow.
Quoting Billiejeens:

Again, there is no political benefit to improving the school system.

Private or home-school is the only real answer.

(and you're in texas, be glad you are not somewhere even worse)

Quoting enlightened_24:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN