Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Graduations

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM
  • 51 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think graduations should be reserved for only high school and college?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 47

View Results

Simply out of curiosity, I was wondering what other moms think of graduations for grades other than high school or college. 

I have both Kindergarten and High School graduations this year.  My kids have also been through preschool and 8th grade graduations. 

I personally don't understand why there are graduations other than for high school and college.  I can certainly see doing something special like a promotion dance or end of the year party, but to have a full on graduation.... I feel it kind of takes away from the accomplishment of getting through high school or college. 

What say you?

by on May. 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krysstizzle
by on May. 9, 2013 at 4:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't like the pseudo graduations. I think something special is a good idea, too, but not a graduation. 

PestPatti
by on May. 9, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Our district only has High School graduation, I will be attending my son's college graduation next weekend.  

I don't know why they need one from kg, 6th grade, 8th grade.. Its a little ridiculous.

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on May. 9, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Our district has Kindergarten and High school graduation.. The others just seem silly. Maybe have a dance, or a social to commemorate.

illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM
2 moms liked this

A high school diploma can get you a job. A college degree will get you a better one.

There's nothing beneficial about "graduating" middle school, except for continuing to high school. It seems to me like it's one of those "everyone gets a trophy" things.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Growing up, my brothers and I only had high school graduation.  It wasn't until my children started school that I encountered graduations for other grades.

Quoting PestPatti:

Our district only has High School graduation, I will be attending my son's college graduation next weekend.  

I don't know why they need one from kg, 6th grade, 8th grade.. Its a little ridiculous.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 9, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a sucker for parties, graduations, get togethers you name. Although I don't see a real point, I do enjoy an excuse to throw a party for a family member who has graduated.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 4:58 PM
We had promotion for 8th grade. The sad thing is in our area, promotion is a huge deal to some families cuz its the farthest their kids will ever go. they buy prom dresses for it and shower them with flowers and expensive gifts. totally absurd!

I think kinder and preschool graduation is extremely stupid. Promotion, eh, could do without. I do think graduation should be limited to high school and college
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

You are the opposite of me in that respect... I hate planning/hosting parties and I'm in the midst of planning one for my daughter's high school graduation :P

Quoting Euphoric:

I'm a sucker for parties, graduations, get togethers you name. Although I don't see a real point, I do enjoy an excuse to throw a party for a family member who has graduated.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM

That is really disheartening :(

Quoting Mipsy:

We had promotion for 8th grade. The sad thing is in our area, promotion is a huge deal to some families cuz its the farthest their kids will ever go. they buy prom dresses for it and shower them with flowers and expensive gifts. totally absurd!

I think kinder and preschool graduation is extremely stupid. Promotion, eh, could do without. I do think graduation should be limited to high school and college

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM
I voted for college and high school only; one exception, would be for the youth that goes to the reorientation camp. Nothing more enlightening then seeing gay youth turn into fully functional heterosexuals by having to throw your tassel on top of your head left to right.

Those youth truly deserve a major graduation ceremony.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN