Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hey Teacher. Teach!

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM
  • 54 Replies

One students reaction to being kicked out of his world history class.

What would your response be if this was your child that reacted this way and said these things to his teacher? Would you be proud? Would you be disappointed?

by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM

This is happening a lot in our district.

"Kids" are no longer willing to sit back silently and be bored out of their minds.

And I cannot stand the "teacher" who throws packets at kids and never draws real world examples of the material.

This kid had obviously had enough.

(and I might add, *I* was kicked out of my 5th grade classroom for 'challenging authority"....lol)

I would have not liked my son using "frickin". But other than that, yeah, I am OK with this.

(did she really say this was "just a paycheck" to her?)

desertlvn
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd have a heart to heart with my child and tell them that there is a time and place. In front of the class isn't the time or place. I'd schedule a meeting with the teacher and try to mediate between the two. The boy seems to have something honest and thoughtful to say and I'd help him say it in a more appropriate way.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I would indeed be proud of my child if she stood up and said such things to a teacher deserving of hearing it.

M was listening, not seeing the video.  She said that kid was pretty awesome for telling the teacher the truth.  She also said he will probably get in trouble for it when he should not.

greenie63
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I actually made a post earlier this morning about this. Here's the link for replies. I have to applaud him for standing up for his rights to have a quality education. 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/18487552/Texas_High_School_Student_Tells_Teacher_How_She_Should_Teach

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:47 PM
3 moms liked this
As a highly qualified teacher who has only been able to secure a substitute job due to staff cuts and overwhelming competition where the winners are the applicants who "know the right people", it makes me sick to hear about teachers who become lazy in their careers. If teaching is "just a paycheck" to her, she should go get her paycheck somewhere else and let teachers who are passionate about this career take over.

End rant.

If what this student is saying is true, then as a parent, I would not be angry with him for his remarks.
Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Good point. I agree.

Quoting desertlvn:

I'd have a heart to heart with my child and tell them that there is a time and place. In front of the class isn't the time or place. I'd schedule a meeting with the teacher and try to mediate between the two. The boy seems to have something honest and thoughtful to say and I'd help him say it in a more appropriate way.

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Wow she needs to lose her job. Now that being said my Childs school uses packets but it's also a Christian charter school. Only pre k and kindergarten don't have packets. The grades who use packets the teachers are still expected to teach.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Quote:

Duncanville student's teacher rant goes viral

DUNCANVILLE, Texas -

A Duncanville High School student who was kicked out of class lectured his teacher on his way out.

FOX4's Calvert Collins spoke with him after his rant, which was recorded by a fellow classmate.

His passionate speech has gone viral. It's gotten tens of thousands of hits and comments after it was posted online.

On Thursday, the district announced it would not punish Jeff Bliss for his actions. He said he was upset by what he says is his teacher's lack of passion for her profession

The teacher has been put on paid leave while the district investigates the incident. The district said that is standard procedure during investigations, but wouldn't say how long the leave will last.

"We love it when students are passionate about education," Duncanville ISD superintendent Dr. Alfred Ray told FOX4.

Ray also admitted the "setting and the tone could have been different" about Bliss' statements.

Bliss' mother is relieved the district didn't punish her son.

"When you take a chance like that, there could always be something that doesn't work out well," Rhonda Bliss said.

Jeff Bliss said he was standing up for his education but admits he could have handled it differently.

He hit a boiling point over a test in his World History class Tuesday morning.

"My question was, why we don't get the same amount of time to take the test as the rest of her classes," said Bliss.

He says his teacher replied with profanity telling him to stop his questioning and leave. That's when he erupted.

Bliss says in the rant, "If you would just get up and teach them instead of handing them a freaking packet, there's kids in here who don't learn like that."

Even though the video is viral, he said he doesn't want all the attention.

"I don't want people to look up to me as something to idolize or anything, I'm just as human as the next person," said Bliss.

He said he's received support from teachers and administrators.

Bliss said his mom was proud of him but said his attitude could have been better.

He said he backs up his outburst with his past because he dropped out of high school after his freshman year. He later returned and said he takes his schoolwork seriously. He asks that his teachers do the same.

Duncanville ISD released a statement reading, "We want our students and teachers to be engaged, but the method by which the student expressed his concern could have been handled in a more appropriate way."

I am glad to hear this kid did not get in to any trouble with the school.

I do, however, wish I knew if the school was looking in to the teacher.  It seems more than obvious she lacks.  The focus should be on her.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I would be proud of him, but make him get a haircut.  I also would have pointed out she doesn't get credit, not credibility.

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:10 PM
That's the difference...your school's teachers still teach. I'm wondering if the teacher in this clip relies on the packets to do the teaching for her. Most teachers I've met are wonderful and will use packets as a tool (for review or to keep large amounts of info organized) while still presenting a lesson to the kids. I'm fine with that.

Quoting mmtosam06:

Wow she needs to lose her job. Now that being said my Childs school uses packets but it's also a Christian charter school. Only pre k and kindergarten don't have packets. The grades who use packets the teachers are still expected to teach.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured