Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Help me pick a church.

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:01 AM
  • 184 Replies
I am looking to go back to church. I'm a mother of a 16 mo th old boy. I would love for him to learn as I did the love in the teachings of Jesus. The good morals and kind acts.... So 1) it can not be a bigoted church. I strongly believe in equality for all and do not think being Gay is a sin 2) I do not want to much legalism or ritual. 3) I don't have time right now for bible study. I need a Sunday service.

I am looking basically for you all to open my mind to the different kind of Christian sects out there not a specific church ( seeing I doubt I live near any of you all).

TYIA. :))
by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Uzma_mom_of_2
by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:10 AM
2 moms liked this

Your best off googling your local churchs and checking their websites.

loverbug75
by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:16 AM
I was hoping for a more personal point of view. But of course that's part of my research;)
loverbug75
by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:16 AM
I was hoping for a more personal point of view. But of course that's part of my research;)
Uzma_mom_of_2
by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:19 AM

I can't say Baptist (or any other specific denomination) , because I know 1 baptist church with the rainbow on their sign and many others that don't. A local church may be part of a denomination, but will accept your views on homosexuality, while the denomination as a whole does not.

I very rarely bother to check a board twice, so debate, get mad, or whatever it is that'll make you feel better, if you don't like what I have to say, because it won't bother me :)sticking out tongue

loverbug75
by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:21 AM
I get that. But I would feel like a phoney if I belonged to a church who didn't accept everyone even if some of the congregation did.

Quoting Uzma_mom_of_2:

I can't say Baptist (or any other specific denomination) , because I know 1 baptist church with the rainbow on their sign and many others that don't. A local church may be part of a denomination, but will accept your views on homosexuality, while the denomination as a whole does not.

rebeccarae
by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Good luck finding one in that requirement list. My DS knows all about Jesus through my actions, I NEVER let myself or anyone one preach. If you show it, they'll know it.
loverbug75
by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:30 AM
Absolutely. If you done try at least to show your kids through your own actions what your talking about what's the point.on the same hand I want him taught the stories.

Quoting rebeccarae:

Good luck finding one in that requirement list. My DS knows all about Jesus through my actions, I NEVER let myself or anyone one preach. If you show it, they'll know it.

loverbug75
by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:31 AM
Dont* not done

Quoting loverbug75:

Absolutely. If you done try at least to show your kids through your own actions what your talking about what's the point.on the same hand I want him taught the stories.

Quoting rebeccarae:

gdiamante
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 3:20 AM
3 moms liked this

I go to an Episcopal church. I think our value system would jive with what you're describing. Heck, we have women priests and gay clergy!

You can check out the Book of Common Prayer to get an idea of what Sunday services are like. Check out the link for The Holy Eucharist. My church typically uses "The Holy Eucharist: Rite Two."

If you've ever been to a Catholic Mass, the Episcopal service is very similar. Time-wise, it's about an hour to an hour and a half, depending on the music, the length of the sermon, and how long it takes for Communion.

Bible study is an extra. Not required but it's there for those who want it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)