Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you boycott businesses over policies you disagree with?

Posted by   + Show Post

The whole firestorm over the Abercrombie & Fitch CEO's discriminatory practice of marketing to thin, good looking, cool people reminds me of the issues with Chick-fil-A and how people were passionately either for or against the company based on the statement from its CEO. I've never shopped at A&F for many reasons, but I had to say, if I were a shopper there, I'd probably think twice about putting money in the hands of someone with such a narrow view. Still, I feel like if I started boycotting everyone I disagreed with, I'd probably have to start growing and raising my own food and making my own clothes, etc., lol, because pretty much every company out there has some policy that I disagree with or a CEO who makes equally moronic statements to the press that would upset me, lol.

Do you boycott businesses over policies you disagree with?

by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Replies (101-109):
BeachMommy07
by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Quoting SuperChicken:

Sometimes, yes.    If a company is one I find distasteful, I don't support them with my money.

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Depends on the policies of the business.  They certainly have the freedom of speech and to practice business their way, but I certain thave the power of spending my money where I want and support stores that are more in line with my beliefs.  My dollar may not bake that much of a difference but, my dollar here and another dollar from others pretty soon it makes a difference.

butterfly on headlynda  

karisma22
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:22 PM

It depends on the policy.  I haven't bought my daughter anything from A & F.  However, this weekend she was wearing an A & F t-shirt that my sister bought for her.  After reading their CEO's statement, I don't plan on spending any of my money there.  She told me she really liked it and would like a couple of more.  I told her that I wasn't buying her anything from A & F.  If she wanted anything else from them she could buy it herself or have her aunt buy it.

MelanieJK
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Only if it's something directly related to the products/services and then it's rare.    I really don't give a damn about the CEO's opinions or politics. 

SentRegards
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Yes. But only companies that test on animals like Johnson & johnson, p&g and clorox.... I try to buy products made in America too, yeah very cliche'd but for a good cause

Those animals stomachs are pumped with products and are waited on for side effects, they put it in their eyes (you know the good old avoid contact with eyes warning on labels), starve them, its just wrong to invest my money into THAT!

A lot of CEO's are just money hungry business men. They use strategy to make money if the skinny rich people got the money that's who they'll target
jhslove
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Often, yes. It's the beauty of the free market--everyone is free to share their opinions, and if I disagree with a business owner's policies and know that patronizing that business will fund practices that I find unethical, I often refuse to support those businesses. Not always--I don't worry about doing this with every single little thing. But to the extent that it's practical and affordable, I do.

It works the other way, too. There are many companies that I specifically support, even if it means paying more, because they take political stances I agree with or produce/sell their product in a way that jives with my ethics and principles. Non-GMO food companies are a great example. I buy Late July crackers instead of Cheez-Its, even though they're more expensive, because I like how they do business and that they take a firm stance against GMOs. I also like that they're a local, family-owned company and supporting them supports my local economy. They also taste a whole hell of a lot better.  :)

jhslove
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Not always. I go out of my way to support Panera Bread, for example, because their founder and CEO, Ron Shaich, has some great ideas about corporate responsibility and he really puts his money where his mouth is. I used to teach his kids.

Quoting SentRegards:

CEO's are money hungry business men. They use strategy to make money if the skinny rich people got the money that's who they'll target

SentRegards
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM
I'm going to edit my post to say a lot of CEO's.... I think a lot are good people too...

If you know the panera man ask him to bring them mocha icees back with the tapioca balls!! They dropped the product back around 2004

Quoting jhslove:

Not always. I go out of my way to support Panera Bread, for example, because their founder and CEO, Ron Shaich, has some great ideas about corporate responsibility and he really puts his money where his mouth is. I used to teach his kids.

Quoting SentRegards:

CEO's are money hungry business men. They use strategy to make money if the skinny rich people got the money that's who they'll target

jhslove
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Hahaha! I don't actually work at that school anymore....but I do drop by sometimes and if I see him, I'll definitely mention it. He's a VERY nice guy.   :)

Quoting SentRegards:

I'm going to edit my post to say a lot of CEO's.... I think a lot are good people too...

If you know the panera man ask him to bring them mocha icees back with the tapioca balls!! They dropped the product back around 2004

Quoting jhslove:

Quoting SentRegards:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)