Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you boycott businesses over policies you disagree with?

Posted by   + Show Post

The whole firestorm over the Abercrombie & Fitch CEO's discriminatory practice of marketing to thin, good looking, cool people reminds me of the issues with Chick-fil-A and how people were passionately either for or against the company based on the statement from its CEO. I've never shopped at A&F for many reasons, but I had to say, if I were a shopper there, I'd probably think twice about putting money in the hands of someone with such a narrow view. Still, I feel like if I started boycotting everyone I disagreed with, I'd probably have to start growing and raising my own food and making my own clothes, etc., lol, because pretty much every company out there has some policy that I disagree with or a CEO who makes equally moronic statements to the press that would upset me, lol.

Do you boycott businesses over policies you disagree with?

by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Replies (11-20):
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Depends how serious the "infraction" is  :)

I don't go out of my way to go to Whole Foods anymore due to the CEO's policy and thoughts on health care for employees.  I avoid WalMart like the plague. Try to be concious about where my clothes and food come from, but I'm not a purist by any means.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM

What is wrong with Cracker Barrel - I must be out of the loop on that one.

I don't eat at CFA - their chicken is nasty even if it wasn't I wouldn't eat there, I don't shop at Hobby lobby because of their anti-female policies. I order from Pappa John's because of their anti-worker policies

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Only if I know their policies and disagree with them. I don't eat at CFA or Cracker Barrel. Never shopped at A&F so that doesn't affect my shopping habits (not sure his comments bother me...I'm on the fence).

Ziva65
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Yes, I do not shop at stores whose policies I disagree with.

momto3B
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:53 AM

The fact that the head of a very successful company is an arrogant ass, is not remotely a surprise. The fact that they market to a specific audience is not surprise either. The ONLY surprise is that people are SURPRISED about the firms intended demographic. 

Oops, he said it out loud, but it has always been there. 

Debrowsky
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:57 AM

yes, but it depends on the policy.

1Giovanni
by Becca on May. 10, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Why not Cracker Barrel? Just curious, I never heard of the restruant before until I went ot Florida in Nov. It was right across the street from the hotel we where staying at so we ate there a couple of times.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Only if I know their policies and disagree with them. I don't eat at CFA or Cracker Barrel. Never shopped at A&F so that doesn't affect my shopping habits (not sure his comments bother me...I'm on the fence).

jllcali
by on May. 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM
It depends.
Talee
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I do my best to.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM
they are (or were) anti-gay.

Quoting 1Giovanni:

Why not Cracker Barrel? Just curious, I never heard of the restruant before until I went ot Florida in Nov. It was right across the street from the hotel we where staying at so we ate there a couple of times.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:43 PM
They are (or were anti-gay).

We don't have Hobby Lobby stores here and we don't order from Papa Johns so I guess I'm good there.

Quoting mikiemom:

What is wrong with Cracker Barrel - I must be out of the loop on that one.

I don't eat at CFA - their chicken is nasty even if it wasn't I wouldn't eat there, I don't shop at Hobby lobby because of their anti-female policies. I order from Pappa John's because of their anti-worker policies

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN