Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you boycott businesses over policies you disagree with?

Posted by   + Show Post

The whole firestorm over the Abercrombie & Fitch CEO's discriminatory practice of marketing to thin, good looking, cool people reminds me of the issues with Chick-fil-A and how people were passionately either for or against the company based on the statement from its CEO. I've never shopped at A&F for many reasons, but I had to say, if I were a shopper there, I'd probably think twice about putting money in the hands of someone with such a narrow view. Still, I feel like if I started boycotting everyone I disagreed with, I'd probably have to start growing and raising my own food and making my own clothes, etc., lol, because pretty much every company out there has some policy that I disagree with or a CEO who makes equally moronic statements to the press that would upset me, lol.

Do you boycott businesses over policies you disagree with?

by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Replies (21-30):
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

oh that sucks - I love their apple side dish lol dessert for breakfast

Quoting coolmommy2x:

They are (or were anti-gay).

We don't have Hobby Lobby stores here and we don't order from Papa Johns so I guess I'm good there.

Quoting mikiemom:

What is wrong with Cracker Barrel - I must be out of the loop on that one.

I don't eat at CFA - their chicken is nasty even if it wasn't I wouldn't eat there, I don't shop at Hobby lobby because of their anti-female policies. I order from Pappa John's because of their anti-worker policies

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Only if I know their policies and disagree with them. I don't eat at CFA or Cracker Barrel. Never shopped at A&F so that doesn't affect my shopping habits (not sure his comments bother me...I'm on the fence).

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on May. 10, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Of course. I don't support businesses I feel are unethical.

Like Curves --the owner of which funds anti-abortionists. 

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM

What you said,lol.

Piskie
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Sometimes yes. Depends on how important the issue is to me and how easy it is to live without them. I also purposefully shop places I do agree with.
bibdybobdyboob
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I won't eat at Chick-fil-A.   They opened up shop in our area not too long ago and I had never tried them.  Right after they came to the area, was when I heard the CEO's stance on gay marriage so I have refused to try them.  I doubt my lack of business hurts them any though.

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on May. 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I haven't but I might if I feel strongly enough about something.  If for instance, Target said they were going to stop selling kitchen ware to men because the kitchen is where women belong.  That might piss me off enough to boycott.  :-)

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I favor companies that implement policies I like, but that's not always enough to override factors like price and convenience.  I sorta feel like real and true boycotts are something that only the really privileged can do.

That said, when I'm armed with both knowledge and choice, I implement it as best I can.

MaryCimino
by New Member on May. 10, 2013 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I boycotted Abercrombie before it was cool, lol. I'm cheap and refused to spend $50 on a plain white shirt when I could go to Wal-Mart or target and get 5 of them for $7 but that's me.

bunnyxlover
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM

depends on what it is i guess, I refused to go into or purchase anything from wet seal after seeing where they got their fur from... horrible abuse of animals... and i refuse burger king because they food poisoned me (off topic i know)

to the stores, one person avoiding them probably makes no difference, but it makes me feel good knowing im standing up for what i believe in

motherslove82
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 3:29 PM

No. There doesn't seem to be any point.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN