Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you boycott businesses over policies you disagree with?

Posted by   + Show Post

The whole firestorm over the Abercrombie & Fitch CEO's discriminatory practice of marketing to thin, good looking, cool people reminds me of the issues with Chick-fil-A and how people were passionately either for or against the company based on the statement from its CEO. I've never shopped at A&F for many reasons, but I had to say, if I were a shopper there, I'd probably think twice about putting money in the hands of someone with such a narrow view. Still, I feel like if I started boycotting everyone I disagreed with, I'd probably have to start growing and raising my own food and making my own clothes, etc., lol, because pretty much every company out there has some policy that I disagree with or a CEO who makes equally moronic statements to the press that would upset me, lol.

Do you boycott businesses over policies you disagree with?

by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Replies (31-40):
Friday
by HRH of MJ on May. 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I try but have a hard time finding companies that don't have anything I object to. Like Apple, the hipsters all love them and they support gay marriage BUT their components are made in China by people living under horrible conditions. They had to put a net around the top of the buildings to curb suicides-One man worked 36 hours straight and dropped dead on the floor.

Point being I do try to use my money wisely but if you dig deep enough most companies will have some issue.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

punky3175
by Punky on May. 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM
This.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Well I guess you could call it a boycott if you wanted.  I am selective about the companies where I shop, and if their policies go against the things I find important I don't shop with them.  I do not actively try to limit their business I just choose to not give them money to help fund  the programs policies I find reprehensible.  

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM

For the most part... no.  I don't shop at places that give me poor customer service, but that's different than boycotting.

I've never shopped at Abercrombie.  My kids don't like their clothes, and I don't like going in their store.  It smells and is too loud. 

I don't have a Chick-fil-A around me, but I don't like fried chicken, so would likely not go there anyways. 

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM
4 moms liked this
Quoting IhartU:

I try to. Recently the school my daughter goes to had a fundraiser Chik  Fil A night and I told them I'd like to support the school without supporting anti-gay organizations in the process. I told them that they go on and on about being 'anti-bully' and then give money to a company who gives funds to organizations that work to deny gay people rights- which IS bullying and I wasn't very happy about it.

We probably go way more than enough to make up for you.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on May. 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM

yup

I dont shop at many places because of their policies... and a few I never shopped at in the first place...

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Quoting Friday:

I try but have a hard time finding companies that don't have anything I object to. Like Apple, the hipsters all love them and they support gay marriage BUT their components are made in China by people living under horrible conditions. They had to put a net around the top of the buildings to curb suicides-One man worked 36 hours straight and dropped dead on the floor.

Point being I do try to use my money wisely but if you dig deep enough most companies will have some issue.

Even you have to admit the net is genius.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on May. 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Friday:

Even you have to admit the net is genius.

The entire thing is disgusting. The fact that some execs sat in a conference room to discuss worker suicides and all they could come up with was a net. Nothing that actually helps the workers or address why there are so many attempts just shows me that the priority is profits before people.

Why am I not surprised that you think it's genius.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I boycott anything monsanto or gmo related, and I prefer American companies even if the cost is a bit higher. Does that count?

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Quoting Friday:

I give up, Why?

Aislinn
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Yes, but they are personal, private boycotts. For example, I have been boycotting Pepsi going on two years because they go to bars and force them to sell Monster instead of Red Bull, threatening to pull all their products. One, if I owned the place I would say "See ya!" and two Monster is just terrible! lol That is my latest boycott. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)