Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you boycott businesses over policies you disagree with?

Posted by   + Show Post

The whole firestorm over the Abercrombie & Fitch CEO's discriminatory practice of marketing to thin, good looking, cool people reminds me of the issues with Chick-fil-A and how people were passionately either for or against the company based on the statement from its CEO. I've never shopped at A&F for many reasons, but I had to say, if I were a shopper there, I'd probably think twice about putting money in the hands of someone with such a narrow view. Still, I feel like if I started boycotting everyone I disagreed with, I'd probably have to start growing and raising my own food and making my own clothes, etc., lol, because pretty much every company out there has some policy that I disagree with or a CEO who makes equally moronic statements to the press that would upset me, lol.

Do you boycott businesses over policies you disagree with?

by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Replies (41-50):
Elyssa414
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I do pick and choose and try to shop and companies that I feel good about supporting. Understanding that sometimes I'm going to inadvertently spend money somewhere that I would morally oppose.... "I can not do everything, but still I can do something. And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do." -Helen Keller
Friday
by HRH of MJ on May. 10, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Friday:

I give up, Why?

I guess you are just too predictable, always trying to say outrageous things to shock others.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

rfurlongg
by on May. 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Yep.

Quoting SuperChicken:

Sometimes, yes.    If a company is one I find distasteful, I don't support them with my money.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on May. 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM
I do not boycott to make a statement or in belief that my stance will affect their bottom line; but if I find their marketing or stance distasteful I opt to shop elsewhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Oddy_Knocky
by on May. 10, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Same

Quoting katy_kay08:

Well I guess you could call it a boycott if you wanted.  I am selective about the companies where I shop, and if their policies go against the things I find important I don't shop with them.  I do not actively try to limit their business I just choose to not give them money to help fund  the programs policies I find reprehensible.  

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on May. 10, 2013 at 5:46 PM
This.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Well I guess you could call it a boycott if you wanted.  I am selective about the companies where I shop, and if their policies go against the things I find important I don't shop with them.  I do not actively try to limit their business I just choose to not give them money to help fund  the programs policies I find reprehensible.  

rfurlongg
by on May. 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM
I stopped shopping at A&F long ago due their sexualization of young girls. It was something I preferred not to expose my children and nieces to their marketing values.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I wouldn't call it a boycott but i am certainly and informed consumer.

I don't give a shit about brand name clothing and i won't buy it or wear it but its more of a lifestyle choice than a boycott.

celticdragon77
by on May. 10, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I try to support small, local business. I think there is an alternative to all this mainstream big business. I am selective in who I buy from in regards to how things are made, grown, fed, etc.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I pretty much stay away from Walmart and Kmart if I can help it. If I'm visiting a cousin I'm close to in Wisconsin then I'm forced to go to walmart since that's the only place to get a damn thing in her town. Which is sad for the local economy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN