Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The slippery slope

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM
  • 27 Replies

1689-King William of Orange grants his subjects (except Catholics) The right to bear arms in a new Bill of Rights.

1819-In response to civil unrest, a temporary seizure of arms act is passed.  It allowed constables to search and confiscate arms from people who are "dangerous to the public peace.

1879- A license is needed if you want to carry a firearm outside of your house.

1903-The pistol Act isenacted and seems to be full of common sense.  No guns for drunks and the mentally insane. Licenses required for purchases

1920-The Firearms act, creates the first registration system and gives police the power to deny a license to anyone "unfitted to be trusted with a firearm".  This is the point where gun ownership ceased to be a right and became a privilege.

1937-The Firearms act is amended to raise the minimum age to buy a gun, gives police more power to regulate and bans full auto weapons.  Self defense is ruled to no longer be a valid reason to be given a license.

1967-The criminal Justice act expands licensing to shotguns.

1968-Existing gun laws are all centralized and fees set for shotgun licenses.

1988-After the Hungerford Massacre the Firearms act is amended yet again, it bans semi autos, pump action rifles, weapons that fire explosive ammunition, short shotguns, magazines.  Registration is made mandatory for short guns.

1997-The Dunblane massacre results in the death of sixteen children and a teacher.  The killer uses two pistols and two revolvers.     The results in another amendment, that essentially banned all handguns.

2006-After several gun related homicides, The Violent Crimes Reduction Act is passed making it a crime to make or sell imitation gunsand severely restricted air guns.

Does this seem familiar?

by on May. 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
squeekers
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM
6 moms liked this

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1920-The Firearms act, creates the first registration system and gives police the power to deny a license to anyone "unfitted to be trusted with a firearm". This is the point where gun ownership ceased to be a right and became a privilege.

So you think convicted felons and mentally unstable people should be able to buy as many guns and as much ammo as they choose?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 8:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Iknow...over your head.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

1920-The Firearms act, creates the first registration system and gives police the power to deny a license to anyone "unfitted to be trusted with a firearm". This is the point where gun ownership ceased to be a right and became a privilege.

So you think convicted felons and mentally unstable people should be able to buy as many guns and as much ammo as they choose?

sophiasmommy27
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 8:47 PM
buahahah. that's EXACTLY what I was getting ready to post. hahaha

Quoting squeekers:

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, don't want the U.S. to go down the same path as the U.K.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 10, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I think there is room for cleaning up the system/process- There's always room for improvement.

I do not know anyone who is part of a well regulated militia in 2013.

Anyone here part of any regulated militia? Please do share.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:18 PM
what does the fact that they thought a militia should be trained and prepared have to do with the right to bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED?

Quoting Sisteract:

I think there is room for cleaning up the system/process- There's always room for improvement.

I do not know anyone who is part of a well regulated militia in 2013.

Anyone here part of any regulated militia? Please do share.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 10, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Times change ladies- I bet even the forefathers would accept and want the citizenry to use common sense and move forward as needed. These were cutting edge folks, not people afraid to make changes as needed.

The system needs to be cleaned up- Sometimes change is a good thing.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:22 PM
You make no sense.

Quoting Sisteract:

Times change ladies- I bet even the forefathers would accept and want the citizenry to use common sense and move forward as needed. These were cutting edge folks, not people afraid to make changes as needed.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM
In the environment of the world the last thing the founders would want to see is the disarming of the people. I, in fact, would go so far as to say that most would probably be wondering why we are not rebelling.

Quoting Carpy:

You make no sense.

Quoting Sisteract:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)