Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Catholic mass and my daughter.

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 11:54 PM
  • 173 Replies
1 mom liked this

Lately, my daughter has been curious about my being raised Catholic.  She is aware that I do not consider myself Catholic.  She has not asked a lot of questions about that.  But she does want to know more about the religion.  I have no problem with this.

She asked if I would take her to Mass.

There is a Catholic Church across the street from our home.  Should I take her?

Honestly, I would feel somewhat uncomfortable but this isn't about me as much as it about my daughter.

Would I be a hypocrite in taking her?

by on May. 10, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on May. 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think it would make you a hypocrite.
dtm1491
by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
No. I was raised Catholic as well but am not practicing nor did I baptize my dd10 Catholic. She lately also has questions that I answer and when I did offer to take her she wasn't interested. If your dd is I say let her learn on her terms and educate her mind and when she is old enough she can choose for herself.
littlemoments99
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Why would you be a hypocrite? Because you don't associate yourself as a Catholic anymore? Because you don't believe? I was raised Catholic too and I have since left that church but joined a non-denominational church. I have a few problems with the Catholic church but still really love it. I just can't be a part of it because I think some of what they do and believe is un-biblical .

I think it's okay if you took her. I would take my kid to a Catholic church if they really wanted to know about it. I would give them my opinion about the mass though and about everything that was done during the mass. I would also be very honest about why I left. I want my kids to be Christians and I will raise them to know the truth, but I can't make them believe, just like an athiest wouldn't be able to make their child not believe. 

VeronicaTex
by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:06 AM
2 moms liked this

I would have to say, despite what you are now, it might be good for the both of you to see what the Catholic Mass has become.

It is probably so very different from what you remembered it as.

I would gently advise you to open your heart and plan to be enriched by what you see, hear and experience.

Blessings to both you and your daughter.

Veronica-Cradle Catholic

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on May. 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM
4 moms liked this

No.  I encourage learning of all religions to my kids.  

Being a religious hypocrite is when one teaches kids to do one thing whilst themselves do another.  Teaching and learning are two different things :-)

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 11, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I'd take her.

My daughter calls herself NP- non-practicing.

romalove
by Roma on May. 11, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Take her.

There is nothing wrong with "sitting in" on a religious service.  You're not going with bad intent but with good intent, to satisfy your daughter's curiosity.

True story:  my middle daughter went to mass all through high school.  

She rang bells in both the adult and children's choirs (she was the best one so they asked her to play with the adults as well as the kids) so she was there for mass and many special occasions as well. 

She's my avowed atheist child lol, my younger one is still questioning.

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Lately, my daughter has been curious about my being raised Catholic.  She is aware that I do not consider myself Catholic.  She has not asked a lot of questions about that.  But she does want to know more about the religion.  I have no problem with this.

She asked if I would take her to Mass.

There is a Catholic Church across the street from our home.  Should I take her?

Honestly, I would feel somewhat uncomfortable but this isn't about me as much as it about my daughter.

Would I be a hypocrite in taking her?

Yes you should take her, and no you wounldn't be a hypocrite. 

EWTNKids

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:41 AM
AlekD
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:45 AM
3 moms liked this
Of course. If you are wanting her to grow up to choose her own path you would be a hypocrite NOT to let her explore a faith that interests her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured