Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you 'believe' in chronic pain?

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:44 AM
  • 210 Replies
1 mom liked this

I actually had someone tell me they dont believe in chronic pain, that its possible people choose to stay hurt.  That pain isnt real, its contrived. For attention.  For drugs. 

I realize there is some debate as to some chronic conditions but chronic pain as a whole?  Have you ever heard of anyone who didnt believe pain (of arthritis for instance) was real ?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jadedcynic
by NerdyJen on May. 11, 2013 at 12:46 AM
6 moms liked this

Oh, yeah, it's fake. I fake MS with no meds because I want everyone to feel sorry for me. Except, for the the fact that nobody knows except my doctor.

romanceparty4u
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Of course I believe in it, I deal with it every day.

Sure there are always some that will scam the system for narcs, but I deal with it narc free.

There are "some people" that I don't believe are in chronic pain. They'll be the ones pulling an engine in their back yard, but eating norcos and refilling prescriptions early, because "someone stole my drugs".

rosaleeandtwo
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I've never met anyone that believed that way.
Anastacia1988
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:53 AM
That's debatable.... It's hard to Gauge a persons pain intake since it is strictly neurological .. This is the reason doctors still do the pain scale . Furthermore oxycodone patients along with other narcotics can actually feel physical pain from with drawl of the medication. This happens when the patients tolerance increases. Lastly ... People experience pain differently .. For example women lifting cars or men literally ripping leg muscles and bones cracking while holding up boulders in life or death situations . I like to ponder myself if pain even exists... Or if its our bodies way of just being programmed to survive .
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm guessing Christian science?
survivorinohio
by René on May. 11, 2013 at 12:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romanceparty4u:

Of course I believe in it, I deal with it every day.

Sure there are always some that will scam the system for narcs, but I deal with it narc free.

There are "some people" that I don't believe are in chronic pain. They'll be the ones pulling an engine in their back yard, but eating norcos and refilling prescriptions early, because "someone stole my drugs".

Ya know I dont like who I am even on small doses of narcotics every day day in and out.  No matter what when they where off and everything hurts so bad I am cranky.

I still build stuff and tackle some big projects but they take me a lot longer than they once did and I pay for it.  I dont even attend pain management at the moment but I will likely go back.

I know there are addicts that will say anything to get the drugs.  In some senses I am glad that the disability in my leg is visible.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Chronic pain is very real.  I had an aunt that was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis when she was just 20 years old.  She suffered throughout her life.  It ate away at her,  She took medication daily, received all the available treatments -- even did acupunture.  By the end of her life she dragged her left leg because all the nerves were `dead'.  Her back, and her other leg were painful but she kept going.  The constant pain, and all the medication and treatment should took to control it for most of her life weakened her heart.  She had a massive coronary and died at 63. 

jllcali
by Jane on May. 11, 2013 at 1:01 AM
I live with it. Fortunately it's not debilitating, for now anyway.

As with anything, there are always going to be people who scam and taking advantage.
ZakkarysMom
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:02 AM
4 moms liked this
I deal with chronic pain every day. Its very real. Daily chores and being active with my kids is exhausting and painful.
Lizardannie1966
by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I live with chronic pain daily and though I am now getting Kenalog injections in my left hip, I still deal with pain every day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)