Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Unconditional Love

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM
  • 29 Replies
2 moms liked this

In my other thread about the burial of the deceased bomber, one member posted that, if her child had killed people like that, she would treat her child as "dead to her" regardless of if she was dead or not, and completely detatch herself from her child because she wouldn't love her anymore. 

Which got me to thinking, what are your thoughts on unconditional love? Who does your unconditional love extend to? Anyone? Just your children? Your SO? Extended family or close friends?

For me, I love God unconditionally, first of all. After that, I love my family unconditionally, even somewhat removed family members (such as cousins and such) Even if they were to do someting unthinkable, I would still feel that familial  bond to them that I don't think I would be capable of emotionally severing. 

But (and I know this will make me seem like a monster to some) if I am being truly honest with myself, my love for close friends and even my husband isn't totally unconditional. I think it's because, since I chose to include them in my "family" I can choose to exclude them as well. Don't get me wrong, I am a pretty loyal friend and consider myself a particularly devoted wife, but if it ever came to something like rape or murder, I don't think I could continue to truly love them. Care about them and pray for them, loving them in the Christian "love your enemies" sense sure, but the personal love would be broken. 

What about you?

by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on May. 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM
4 moms liked this

I have unconditional love for my children, that cannot be broken by anything they would do.  I might be heartbroken by them, but I could never not love them.

Everything else is conditional.

Talee
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes my affection would be gone. I could still pray though, I could love that way, from a distance if that makes sense.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on May. 11, 2013 at 12:10 PM
2 moms liked this
Honestly, I did not "know" unconditional love until I looked in the eyes if my first born. I will always love them, and no matter what they did they would always be considered "family".
SuperChicken
by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:10 PM

My love is conditional, I suppose, but it would take A LOT for me to not love my child.   I shudder to even type this, but if he were to rape and kill children or something like that, I know I would stop loving him.   Even if that makes me horrible.  There are some things that are beyond my capabilities.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Jeffrey Dhamer's father never stopped loving him. He didn't condone what did, he just didn't turn his back on him. I would hope I could do the same.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM
You can love someone without likin them

Love for my children is unconditional. I may not like the people they become if they do something monstrous and I will even expect them to pay for crimes appropriately but id never stop loving them.

I think it takes a terrible person to actually stop loving their child. But there are terrible people
ashellbell
by shellbark on May. 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM
I could never ever stop loving my child. I wouldn't care what she did. I can hate her actions, be ashamed, angry, disappointed, unsupportive, but I will always love her. I'd give my own life for her.
greenie63
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM

The love for my children will always be unconditional. I may not like everything they do in life, but I will always love them. I've always said that children are the true meaning of unconditional love. I loved my ex husband at one time, but we divorced, so yes it was conditional otherwise we'd still be married. 

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on May. 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM
This...for my boys.

Quoting ashellbell:

I could never ever stop loving my child. I wouldn't care what she did. I can hate her actions, be ashamed, angry, disappointed, unsupportive, but I will always love her. I'd give my own life for her.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I am not capable of unconditional love. I'm human.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)