Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How to spot a murderer's brain

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 19 Replies

If this science was proven, how would you like to see it applied? Scan convincted criminal minds before sentencing? Or scan the mentall ill? Or troublemakers? Or what about everyone at a certain age? Do you see this being abused in some sci-fi way?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/may/12/how-to-spot-a-murderers-brain

How to spot a murderer's brain

Do your genes, rather than upbringing, determine whether you will become a criminal? Adrian Raine believed so – and breaking that taboo put him on collision course with the world of science

Scans of a normal brain, left, beside that of murderer Antonio Bustamante
Scans of a normal brain, left, beside that of murderer Antonio Bustamante, who was spared the death penalty after a jury was shown these pictures. Photograph: Public domain

In 1987, Adrian Raine, who describes himself as a neurocriminologist, moved from Britain to the US. His emigration was prompted by two things. The first was a sense of banging his head against a wall. Raine, who grew up in Darlington and is now a professor at the University of Pennsylvania, was a researcher of the biological basis for criminal behaviour, which, with its echoes of Nazi eugenics, was perhaps the most taboo of all academic disciplines.

In Britain, the causes of crime were allowed to be exclusively social and environmental, the result of disturbed or impoverished nurture, rather than fated and genetic nature. To suggest otherwise, as Raine felt compelled to, having studied under Richard Dawkins and been persuaded of the "all-embracing influence of evolution on behaviour", was to doom yourself to an absence of funding. In America, there seemed more open-mindedness on the question and, as a result, more money to explore it. There was also another good reason why Raine headed initially to California: there were more murderers to study than there were at home.

When Raine started doing brain scans of murderers in American prisons, he was among the first researchers to apply the evolving science of brain imaging to violent criminality. His most comprehensive study, in 1994, was still, necessarily, a small sample. He conducted PET [positron emission tomography] scans of 41 convicted killers and paired them with a "normal" control group of 41 people of similar age and profile. However limited the control, the colour images, which showed metabolic activity in different parts of the brain, appeared striking in comparison. In particular, the murderers' brains showed what appeared to be a significant reduction in the development of the prefrontal cortex, "the executive function" of the brain, compared with the control group.

The advancing understanding of neuroscience suggested that such a deficiency would result in an increased likelihood of a number of behaviours: less control over the limbic system that generates primal emotions such as anger and rage; a greater addiction to risk; a reduction in self-control; and poor problem-solving skills, all traits that might predispose a person to violence.

Even two decades ago, these were difficult findings to publish, however. When Raine presented a far less controversial paper in 1994 to a peer group, one that showed a combination of birth complications and early maternal rejection in babies had significant correlation with individuals becoming violent offenders 18 years later, it was denounced as "racist and ideologically motivated" and, according to Nature magazine, was simply further strong evidence that "the uproar surrounding attempts to find biological causes for social problems will continue". Similarly, when, 15 years ago, at the urging of his friend Jonathan Kellerman, the child psychologist and crime writer, Raine put together a proposal for a book on some of his scientific findings, no publisher would touch it. That book,The Anatomy of Violence, a clear-headed, evidence-based and carefully provocative account of Raine's 35 years of study, has only now appeared.

Rest of story at link

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Very interesting!  Yes, I think there would be significant opportunity for abuse, but if applied carefully I think it could definitely do some good.  I'm not sure what would be appropriate though...I'll have to do some thinking/discussing on it. 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Interesting.

romanceparty4u
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM

The brain can be chemically altered by the owner of the brain, thus--I feel that these people could have been born completely normal.

I've dealt with too many mentally ill people that used enough drugs to fry their brains. Still no excuse for poor behavior.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM

bump

JTROX
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Quoting romanceparty4u:

The brain can be chemically altered by the owner of the brain, thus--I feel that these people could have been born completely normal.

I've dealt with too many mentally ill people that used enough drugs to fry their brains. Still no excuse for poor behavior.

But the drug use can be a symptom of the mental illness, not the cause of the mental illness.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Neat stuff.
Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Seems that I watched a show that debunked this guy as a fraud.

krysstizzle
by on May. 12, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Nature AND nurture. 

Not nature vs. nurture. 

Seems most of the study of the brain/psychology/etc. points to that, anyway.

eta: generally speaking and obviously not in every single case. 

KreatingMe
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Americans, and it seems Britains too, only want to believe that we control our own destinies. That's a very helpful philosophy but like most things it's not true 100% of the time. It's very American to think if a person just pulls himself up by his bootstraps, he can do anything and have the American dream. Likewise there are those that think, if parents didn't get divorced, or spanked their kids more, or spent more time with them, or whatever they wouldn't grow up to be violent adults. These are overly simplistic ideas and people don't like the details or delving in too deep with that in mind I get where Raine met a lot of resistance. 

Yes, I can see this being abused. I can also see it as an excuse to give up on children/adults and cut services to help or rehabilitate those with behavioral/mental problems. 

romanceparty4u
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 1:15 PM

And, it can be the cause of the mental illness. Sometimes there's no way of telling, unless you knew that person to be completely normal prior to frying their brain.

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting romanceparty4u:

But the drug use can be a symptom of the mental illness, not the cause of the mental illness.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN