Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Dallas School District Planning on Banning Tucked-in Shirts, Students Look Healthier without Them

Posted by   + Show Post

Dallas School District Planning on Banning Tucked-in Shirts, Students Look Healthier without Them

article image
By Ashley Davis, Sun, May 12, 2013

A Dallas school district is considering disallowing tucked-in shirts as they believe wearing a shirt untucked can better hide an obese student's belly.

Currently, Dallas ISD has a tucked-in shirt requirement, but now they are considering the fact that it can highlight overweight children's physiques, drawing negative attention to their midsection.

Though they did not actually use the word "overweight" in their memo, they used language that suggests the ban is due to body types.

"For a middle-school student, it could be a self-esteem issue if they are made to tuck in their shirt because if they wear it loose, their healthiness might now show as much," Board President Lew Blackburn said.

The discussion also involved the banning of leggings, shirts that show mid-drifts, an earrings on boys.

"They should be banned," Bernadette Nutall said. "Boys should not be wearing earrings."

But freshman board member Dan Micciche said he didn't understand why they were spending so much time talking about the school's dress code.

"I can't believe that this is actually a board policy...I just think it's way too detailed," he said.

Sources: Inquisitr, Dallas Observer

by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Replies (11-20):
mikesmom65270
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:29 AM

sidesplittinglaughter

Woodbabe
by Woodie on May. 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Will they ban shirts that close all the way if they get too big for their shirts too?

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

BrighteyedAsh
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:49 AM
"Boys should not be wearing earrings."?

My son's ear(s) is/are not pierced, and I don't see him ever doing so, but that sounds like a ridiculous rule. How does it harm anyone?
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Currently the ISD has a dress code and one of the rules is they your shirt must always be tucked in... They want to get rid of that rule. If kids still want to tuck their shirts they can.

Quoting meriana:

Why the heck ban them, why not just let kids wear their shirts tucked in or not as they wish.  Doesn't seem to me that a whole lot of discussion is required or do they just not have anything more important to address.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kameka
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Why do we have to ban or require this stuff!? How about they simply repeal the rule for tucked in shirts? No, you should not be showing your midriff in junior high, I agree with that, but maybe you could let them wear spaghetti straps to help keep cool (not even kindergarteners are allowed that because it may "draw undo attention" to them, per DISD). Boys and earrings? Get over yourself. If girls can wear earrings then so should boys. Same with hair length.
I will say that I was in high school when Columbine happened and the year after I graduated my school put a lot of new rules in place concerning dress code and I was elated that I had left. If I had been made to tuck in my shirt I would have protested my butt off.
rfurlongg
by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Say what?? With all the problems facing DISD they are are actually concerned about tucked in shirts? Good grief.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on May. 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM
It used to be that a tucked in shirt was a sign of a neat/well dressed individual. Shirts hanging out are sloppy looking.
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Our school district also requires shirts to be tucked in. And all boys have to wear belts.

Quoting unspecified42:

Maybe there was more to this memo than the article implies, but it sounds to me like they are repealing a mandate to tuck in shirts...

This sounds like an absolutely ridiculous school board to begin with, though. Who the hell REQUIRES shirts be tucked in? And who hasn't yet banned shirts that show your midriff? Seriously? And how can you have a mandate to tuck shirts in without banning said shirts?

Conclusion: This is all stupid in so many ways.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM
No. All shirts must be tucked in so I'm not sure about the mid-driff thing...

Quoting unspecified42:

But they allow shirts that don't cover your abdomen?

Quoting TimetoMomUp:

A lot of schools in the Dallas area and suburbs have a uniform requirement. 

Quoting unspecified42:

Maybe there was more to this memo than the article implies, but it sounds to me like they are repealing a mandate to tuck in shirts...

This sounds like an absolutely ridiculous school board to begin with, though. Who the hell REQUIRES shirts be tucked in? And who hasn't yet banned shirts that show your midriff? Seriously? And how can you have a mandate to tuck shirts in without banning said shirts?

Conclusion: This is all stupid in so many ways.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM
That is some personal issue of one person on the school board...

Ridiculous.

Quoting BrighteyedAsh:

"Boys should not be wearing earrings."?

My son's ear(s) is/are not pierced, and I don't see him ever doing so, but that sounds like a ridiculous rule. How does it harm anyone?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN