Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Dallas School District Planning on Banning Tucked-in Shirts, Students Look Healthier without Them

Posted by   + Show Post

Dallas School District Planning on Banning Tucked-in Shirts, Students Look Healthier without Them

article image
By Ashley Davis, Sun, May 12, 2013

A Dallas school district is considering disallowing tucked-in shirts as they believe wearing a shirt untucked can better hide an obese student's belly.

Currently, Dallas ISD has a tucked-in shirt requirement, but now they are considering the fact that it can highlight overweight children's physiques, drawing negative attention to their midsection.

Though they did not actually use the word "overweight" in their memo, they used language that suggests the ban is due to body types.

"For a middle-school student, it could be a self-esteem issue if they are made to tuck in their shirt because if they wear it loose, their healthiness might now show as much," Board President Lew Blackburn said.

The discussion also involved the banning of leggings, shirts that show mid-drifts, an earrings on boys.

"They should be banned," Bernadette Nutall said. "Boys should not be wearing earrings."

But freshman board member Dan Micciche said he didn't understand why they were spending so much time talking about the school's dress code.

"I can't believe that this is actually a board policy...I just think it's way too detailed," he said.

Sources: Inquisitr, Dallas Observer

by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Replies (31-40):
thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I don't know about banning, that's kind of dumb, leave it up to the kids, but I always hated to wear shirts tucked in. hate the way it shows off my gut if I do. I/m not fat, but I'm not flat either.

meriana
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Currently the ISD has a dress code and one of the rules is they your shirt must always be tucked in... They want to get rid of that rule. If kids still want to tuck their shirts they can.

Quoting meriana:

Why the heck ban them, why not just let kids wear their shirts tucked in or not as they wish.  Doesn't seem to me that a whole lot of discussion is required or do they just not have anything more important to address.

Right. I just don't see the need for lengthy discussion and/or debate. Kids are no longer required to wear dress slacks and dress shirts or dresses/skirts at public schools so it would seem to make sense to just say something to the effect of, if we get rid of this ban, the kids will be far more comfortable. Then do a vote.
Meadowchik
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I bet the tuck-in rule started as a way to help prevent the low-hanging pants thing.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Actually they are required in the DISD... They have to wear khaki or navy slacks and white, blue, or red polo shirts tucked in with a belt. :-)

I agree that this is a waste of time... Why the draw out conversation I have no Idea...

Quoting meriana:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Currently the ISD has a dress code and one of the rules is they your shirt must always be tucked in... They want to get rid of that rule. If kids still want to tuck their shirts they can.

Quoting meriana:

Why the heck ban them, why not just let kids wear their shirts tucked in or not as they wish.  Doesn't seem to me that a whole lot of discussion is required or do they just not have anything more important to address.

Right. I just don't see the need for lengthy discussion and/or debate. Kids are no longer required to wear dress slacks and dress shirts or dresses/skirts at public schools so it would seem to make sense to just say something to the effect of, if we get rid of this ban, the kids will be far more comfortable. Then do a vote.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ktina11
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Why can't they just repeal the policy if only allowing tucked in shirts? Students can tuck them in or not....whatever suits them. Why "disallow tucked in shirts"?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IhartU
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Quoting Stephanie329:

Same here. I'm not even sure I own a shirt that needs tucked in. Thank goodness I wear scrubs to work:)

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting IhartU:

My kids go to public school and they're required to have their uniform shirt tucked in. Nothing wrong with looking neat and tidy and if you feel your gut is too damn fat to have your shirt tucked in, then do something about it and loose some weight.

Even though I grew up in the 80's and our public schools had no uniforms, eveyone at least looked presentable. Seems like once the 'grunge craze' hit, it's gone down hill from there and everyone thinks it's okay to look like a slob. Dress like a slob, feel like a slob. Dress like you care, and it shows. There have actually been studies done about how dress affects feelings and attitudes not only those who are wearing it, but those you come in contact with.

I understand, and agree, when it comes to looking appropriate.  I see far too many kids looking as if they literally rolled out of bed and walked to school.  But I don't know that tucking in, or not, should be a requirement.  

I am not comfortable with my shirts tucked in.  Never have been.  It isn't a weight issues as much as I just don't like it.  

I have to, for work, on days I am out and about and in the various facilities.  There is always a difference in my attitude on those days.  No one else knows but I feel it.  I don't feel comfortable.  

Appropriate and comfortable.  Some times it is a hard line to figure out.  Many parents feel their children should be able to wear any thing they want to school, at any time, regardless of any thing.  I've never been in that boat.  

But I don't feel forcing some kids, regardless of weight or not, to tuck in is really necessary.

Having tucked in shirts also is a rule in my children's school for safety reasons. It's harder to conceal a weapon if your shirt is tucked in.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Stpp!  Are you SERIOUS?

Let students think for themselves?  NO!  We can't have that! 

Quoting meriana:

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 3:46 PM

That was the purpose around here.

Quoting Meadowchik:

I bet the tuck-in rule started as a way to help prevent the low-hanging pants thing.

enlightened_24
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 4:18 PM

THIS is the type of shit that has DISD running in circles. No, lets not hold people accountable for their actions, that would be wrong. Lets pick on the kids uniforms instead, because uniforms need more debate in Dallas. FFS people, get your head out of your ass and TEACH THE STUDENTS

LntLckrsCmQut
by on May. 13, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Dallas has a hundred problems, and a tucked shirt ain't one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN