Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Dallas School District Planning on Banning Tucked-in Shirts, Students Look Healthier without Them

Posted by   + Show Post

Dallas School District Planning on Banning Tucked-in Shirts, Students Look Healthier without Them

article image
By Ashley Davis, Sun, May 12, 2013

A Dallas school district is considering disallowing tucked-in shirts as they believe wearing a shirt untucked can better hide an obese student's belly.

Currently, Dallas ISD has a tucked-in shirt requirement, but now they are considering the fact that it can highlight overweight children's physiques, drawing negative attention to their midsection.

Though they did not actually use the word "overweight" in their memo, they used language that suggests the ban is due to body types.

"For a middle-school student, it could be a self-esteem issue if they are made to tuck in their shirt because if they wear it loose, their healthiness might now show as much," Board President Lew Blackburn said.

The discussion also involved the banning of leggings, shirts that show mid-drifts, an earrings on boys.

"They should be banned," Bernadette Nutall said. "Boys should not be wearing earrings."

But freshman board member Dan Micciche said he didn't understand why they were spending so much time talking about the school's dress code.

"I can't believe that this is actually a board policy...I just think it's way too detailed," he said.

Sources: Inquisitr, Dallas Observer

by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Replies (41-50):
WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Banning leggings? Does this mean that the school is going to have to start monitoring the length of girl's skirts again?  The school my daughter attends requires leggings to be worn with skirt an inch above the knee or shorter.  I like that rule, mainly because dd likes to wear skirts in the winter, and I don't have to fight with her to put on tights to keep her legs warm.  I don't see anything wrong with leggings as long as they are paired with a shirt or a cute sweater dress or tunic top.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I think they would be better off if the banned crap food and required plenty of PE and outdoor play.  I am just a Mom though..so what do I know????

lga1965
by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM

'here's an idea.....eat smaller portions, stay away from McDonalds and get up off your butts and run, so you lose weight.

I am discouraged by the kids who have big jelly bellies and high cholesterol counts as if they are 45 years old. Soooo unhealthy. If kids were healthy and slim, they could tuck in their shirts.

This is bizarre!Pathetic.

MelanieJK
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:16 PM

They might look less unhealthy but they'll look less tidy too.     It's not uncommon for workplaces to require shirts to be tucked in. 

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, let's just hide the problem instead of actually trying to do something about it.  Way to go Dallas!

My kid's school has a policy that all shirts need to be tucked in.  It's a K - 8 school.  I have not heard of any student being embarrassed because it shows their belly fat more.  Of course, I have not seen very many students at all with a ton of belly fat to begin with.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me in Dallas though.

lifeforchrist
by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM

i honestly don't know when people decided leggings were pants. They are not pants! spandex have never been cute people.

survivorinohio
by René on May. 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I agree that tucked shirts are an issue.  A is a curvy girl already at 8 ( she is in a bra and has quite a rear)  The uniform pants do not fit her well and it would be wonderful if she didnt have to tuck.

SpiritedWitch
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Oh good Bob!! Shouldn't they be focusing on, oh I don't know, EDUCATION instead of what the kids are wearing!?!? 

RMC007
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I feel the kids should have the choice to whether or not to tuck in their shirts. I worked at an elementary school that had standarized dress. All students had to wear polo type shirts, tucked in with a belt, and khakis. I felt so bad for the students that were a little chubby as the tucked in, cheap polo shirt, only highlighted the problem areas. I also felt horrible for the girls that were developing early as there was really no hiding in the tucked in shirt.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 13, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Quoting meriana:

Why the heck ban them, why not just let kids wear their shirts tucked in or not as they wish.  Doesn't seem to me that a whole lot of discussion is required or do they just not have anything more important to address.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN