Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Can you imagine learning that one of your relatives did something this horrific?

Posted by   + Show Post

Castro Brothers Say They Knew Nothing About Ohio Kidnappings but Are Being Persecuted Nonetheless

by Julie Ryan Evans

Castro BrothersIn addition to the three women and child held captive and tortured in an Ohio House of Horrors, there may two others that were harmed by the actions of accused kidnapper and rapist Ariel Castro -- his own brothers. Pedro and Onil Castro were originally detained along with him for their suspected involvement. Now, however, it seems they may have known nothing at all

The men -- who are currently in hiding along with other family members -- were released by police, and authorities say there's no evidence they had anything to do with the abduction or torture of Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, and Michelle Knight. Despite that, however, their lives have been forever altered, and they've been the targets of much hate.

In an interview with CNN, which will air Monday, the men spoke about how they've had rocks thrown through the windows of their homes and have received death threats. They say they're not able to go home and believe that people will always suspect they had some involvement. Pedro said:

I couldn't never think of doing anything like that. If I knew that my brother was doing this ... I would not be, not -- in a minute, I would call the cops because that ain't right. But yeah, it's going to haunt me down because people going to think, yeah, Pedro got something to do with this and Pedro don't have nothing to do with this. If I knew, I would have reported it, brother or no brother.

It's heartbreaking on so many levels. First to realize that someone you share blood with could be such a sick, twisted individual, and you had no clue. But then to have people think you could have anything to do with it is just unimaginable. I feel for them, and hope that with time and perhaps more assurances from police that they had no involvement or knowledge that they can resume their lives as normally as is possible in the wake of this horrific crime.

Click for video

Can you imagine learning that one of your relatives did something this horrific?

by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Replies (31-37):
meriana
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2013 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting DawnPratt23:

LOL, there are a few other rumored black sheep-but nothing concrete with paper trail to make it easy to verify :)

Quoting meriana:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Im a Genealogist, and have a few black sheep ancestors, one was charged with stealing a horse. Eventually was pardoned, but still nothing as sick as this.

Quoting meriana:

Doing genealogy I've always wanted to find and have been on the lookout for a "black sheep" but this...uh, that's way way way way too black. I feel sorry for any future genealogists of that family.

Now that's the kind of "black sheep" one expects to find. They usually leave such a nice paper trail too...LOL

Several years ago while researching family, I found some comments made by an ancestor concerning a male ancestor. The comments were such that I thought, Finally, a black sheep...so I spent some time finding everything I could on the guy. Turned out the gal who wrote the comments in a letter to someone else was quite religious and all the guy in question ever did was enjoy the fruits of his orchards a bit too much. Cracked me up!
DawnPratt23
by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Oh my what a sin. LOL...

There is a rumor about my bio dad's moms paternal side being related to John Wilkes Booth and changed their name to Tate. I haven't researched that side much since my Grandma on that side died years ago of MS. I really need to look into that.

On my mothers side there is a huge debate about a relative being of Cherokee decent. I have asked my Native American friends and they keep documents but I'd have to know a tribe that the child came from. However,  again it is debate, part of the family still denies and other half claims. LOL in these days, and considering I graduated from an Indian Reservation you'd think that wouldn't be an issue.

Then the horror stories I hear about my Maternal Great Grandparents, about cults,  sex abuse is something completely out there. The things I hear about people I thought were nice is very shocking. I have learned that people will spill all your secrets after you have passed.

Quoting meriana:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

LOL, there are a few other rumored black sheep-but nothing concrete with paper trail to make it easy to verify :)

Quoting meriana:

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Im a Genealogist, and have a few black sheep ancestors, one was charged with stealing a horse. Eventually was pardoned, but still nothing as sick as this.

Quoting meriana:

Doing genealogy I've always wanted to find and have been on the lookout for a "black sheep" but this...uh, that's way way way way too black. I feel sorry for any future genealogists of that family.

Now that's the kind of "black sheep" one expects to find. They usually leave such a nice paper trail too...LOL

Several years ago while researching family, I found some comments made by an ancestor concerning a male ancestor. The comments were such that I thought, Finally, a black sheep...so I spent some time finding everything I could on the guy. Turned out the gal who wrote the comments in a letter to someone else was quite religious and all the guy in question ever did was enjoy the fruits of his orchards a bit too much. Cracked me up!

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 1:30 AM
I have a nephew that everyone swears is going to murder someone. He's just....not right. As a little little kid like age 3 to 8 he would talk about in detail how he would like to kill people. In detail. He doesn't seem to have empathy. Hes cold. Never smiles. Never likes anything. Just got kicked out of this special school he was in cause he threatened to kill his gf. My sister says he sees a therapist but I don't really think he does. Hes been kicked out of everything cause he's....psycho.
MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this
My mom does genealogy. I'm related to 12th president Zachary Taylor and 4th president James madison. My dads side Genghis khan.
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Adam Lanza's brother had the same issue and I can't even remember his name. He I do not believe did any interviews though. The interview is just keeping them in the spot light IMO

DawnPratt23
by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:53 AM

My husbands grandma had traced his family back to Degory Priest of the MayFlower, and I do believe Zachary Taylor is part of Allerton line. From what I have seen Zachary Taylor's Great Great Aunt was Sarah Allenton, and Great Great Uncle Degory Priest. Issac Allerton was Zachary Taylors Great Great Grandfather and one of the 102 signers of the Mayflower Compact.  It is really interesting history that your family is part of and a lot of Documentation there for you. I know she had it verified and he is part of the Rhode Island Chapter of the Mayflower Society.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

My mom does genealogy. I'm related to 12th president Zachary Taylor and 4th president James madison. My dads side Genghis khan.

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I really don't know much. I only have the family line from my parents on past him. Person after person. I actually read up on him online cause I didn't know much about him.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

My husbands grandma had traced his family back to Degory Priest of the MayFlower, and I do believe Zachary Taylor is part of Allerton line. From what I have seen Zachary Taylor's Great Great Aunt was Sarah Allenton, and Great Great Uncle Degory Priest. Issac Allerton was Zachary Taylors Great Great Grandfather and one of the 102 signers of the Mayflower Compact.  It is really interesting history that your family is part of and a lot of Documentation there for you. I know she had it verified and he is part of the Rhode Island Chapter of the Mayflower Society.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)