Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How big is the IRS scandal? Does it surprise you at all?

Posted by   + Show Post

How far do you think this scandal goes? Does it surprise you to learn that the IRS is likely doing this to people?

"The IRS inspector general will release an audit sometime this week, but congressional aides gave several media outlets a draft of the audit. According to the document, IRS employees in the Cincinnati office used several troublesome phrases to single out 501(c)4 applicants for review — including, at various points between 2010 and May 2012, groups that 'criticize how the country is being run,' aim to educate Americans 'on the Constitution and Bill of Rights,' and lobby to 'make America a better place to live.'" [full story here]

by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Replies (51-59):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM

If mixed race couples start publicly disavowing paying taxes and making up groups to get out of paying taxes....

Your argument lacks thought or reason...

Quoting Billiejeens:

Targeted Audits

When I head the IRS I will target mixed race families, no problem, right?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Billiejeens
by on May. 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Ought oh.

Larry Connors, a veteran local news anchor at KMOV Channel 4 in St. Louis, says that the Internal Revenue Service has been targeting him since an April 2012 interview he conducted with President Obama -- a fact that he dismissed as coincidence until the recent reports about the IRS targeting conservative groups.

"Shortly after I did my April 2012 interview with President Obama, my wife, friends and some viewers suggested that I might need to watch out for the IRS. I don't accept 'conspiracy theories', but I do know that almost immediately after the interview, the IRS started hammering me," Connors wrote on his Facebook page late Monday night.

Connors did not specify how the IRS has been "hammering" him. He did not immediately respond to a request for clarification (see Update below).

According to his account, his questions for Obama touched on the economy and spending but were not exceptional in nature (video here). But following "allegations that the IRS focused on various groups and/or individuals questioning or criticizing government spending, taxes, debt or how the government is run," Connors now believes there may be a possible connection.

"Can I prove it? At this time, no," he wrote. "But it is a fact that since that April 2012 interview ... the IRS has been pressuring me."

See his full post here.

UPDATE (1:36 p.m.): Connors emails POLITICO:

I’m sorry, but I just was told … Corporate does not want me to do any interviews.  Sorry

Billiejeens
by on May. 14, 2013 at 2:56 PM

When are we going to stop the PC Bullshit and call this for what it is?

This is the United States this is not Chicago.

The boy is so far in over his head it is shameful.

Abuse of power, corruption, abuse of more power, more corruption.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I think ALL tax exempt organizations should be audited.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Not surprised at all.  The IRS has lacked  oversight for years.  Their  main concern is keeping your over-payment, and hassling the tax-free institutions based on  the wide latitude of their authority, personal opinion of employees,  and/or the climate of the country at the moment.  Rest assured, and make no mistake -- they will find another target by the next filing year.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Reminds me of Nixon AND the FBI director in the 60's and 70's. Until J Edgar Hoover died.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Goodwoman614
by Satan on May. 14, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Quoting Billiejeens:

The boy is so far in over his head it is shameful. Alrighty, then! Why don't you start? Just come on ot with it -say what you really think: that damn n***** shoulda never set for in the White House.

Billiejeens
by on May. 14, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting Billiejeens:

The boy is so far in over his head it is shameful. Alrighty, then! Why don't you start? Just come on ot with it -say what you really think: that damn n***** shoulda never set for in the White House.

That's a little harsh, he could take a tour like any one else.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 4:29 PM

It doesn't surprise me one bit as the Bush admin had the exact same problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured