Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Issa: Obama Covered Up Benghazi Terrorism By Calling It An ‘Act Of Terror’

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:29 PM
  • 9 Replies

Issa: Obama Covered Up Benghazi Terrorism By Calling It An ‘Act Of Terror’

House Oversight Chairman Darrell Issa (R-CA) responded to President Obama’s forceful condemnation of the GOP’s effort to portray his administration’s response to the attacks on the American diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya as a cover-up on Monday, suggesting that the president sought to downplay the severity of the incident by describing the killings of four Americans as an “act of terror” rather than a “terrorist attack”

In the day following the Benghazi attacks, Obama appeared at the White House Rose Garden alongside then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. In his remarks, Obama referred to the incident as an “act of terror” and used the phrase again at a campaign rally the day after in Denver, CO. “I want people around the world to hear me: To all those who would do us harm, no act of terror will go unpunished,” he said.

But Issa claimed that Obama relied on the “act of terror” formulation to dissuade Americans from thinking it was a terror attack, thus improving his chances of re-election.

“The president sent a letter to the President of Libya where he didn’t call it a terrorist attack even when at the time the President of Libya was calling it pre-planned Sept. 11 terrorist attack,” Issa told Fox News’ Megyn Kelly. “The words that are being used carefully — like you just said, ‘act of terror’ — an ‘act of terror’ is different than a ‘terrorist attack.’ The truth is, this was a terrorist attack, this had Al Qaeda at it.” Watch it:

Seven days after Obama’s comments at the Rose Garden, National Counterterrorism Center Director Matthew Olsen called the the assault in Benghazi an “opportunistic attack” in testimony before the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee. “I would say yes, they were killed in the course of a terrorist attack on our embassy,” he said, presumably pleasing Issa.

UPDATE

During a visit to Washington Hospital Center on Sep. 13, 2001 — just two days after the attacks on the World Trade Center — President George W. Bush described the incident as an “unbelievable act of terror.”

by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
survivorinohio
by René on May. 13, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

There isnt a difference in my mind.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 6:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh my god. These people are lunatics, driven by political motives. Pathetic, 

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Did he misspeak? It happens. If not, than what the fuck?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 13, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I am not seeing what the uproar is now, over the word(s) he used, nor then.

It is the same thing.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:18 PM
This politician doesn't give his fellow citizens very much credit.
GLWerth
by Gina on May. 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM
3 moms liked this

Darrel Issa covers up the fact that he's a moron by calling himself a "congressman". A lot of them, on both sides use that one.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on May. 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM

....Errrr.... what?

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM

what am I missing here?

Fox news says its was 'terrorism" and POTUS says it was an "act of terror"

act of terror  

Web definitions
(act of terrorism) terrorism: the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence)
SWasson
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:57 PM

WTH? Really? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN