Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Bush and His Aides Made 935 False Statements about Iraq In the 2 Years After 9/11

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:43 PM
  • 13 Replies

Bush admin

Given the Republican obsession with Benghazi talking points, it’s time for a very specific flashback. In 2008, two non partisan groups released a study that determined that President Bush and his top aides made 935 false statements about the security risk posed by Iraq in the two years following September 11, 2001.

These statements were part of a deliberate campaign, according to the study conducted by the Center for Public Integrity and the Fund for Independence in Journalism. They concluded, “The false statements dramatically increased in August 2002, with congressional consideration of a war resolution, then escalated through the mid-term elections and spiked even higher from January 2003 to the eve of the invasion… In short, the Bush administration led the nation to war on the basis of erroneous information that it methodically propagated and that culminated in military action against Iraq on March 19, 2003.”

The study’s conclusions were further reinforced when former Bush White House press secretary Scott McClellan wrote, “top Bush aides had outlined a strategy for carefully orchestrating the coming campaign to aggressively sell the war… In the permanent campaign era, it was all about manipulating sources of public opinion to the president’s advantage.” (What Happened: Inside the Bush White House and Washington’s Culture of Deception)

According to the study, then President George W Bush made 232 false statements about Iraq and former leader Saddam Hussein’s possessing weapons of mass destruction, and 28 false statements about Iraq’s links to al Qaeda.

“President George W. Bush and seven of his administration’s top officials, including Vice President Dick Cheney, National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, made at least 935 false statements in the two years following September 11, 2001, about the national security threat posed by Saddam Hussein’s Iraq…

On at least 532 separate occasions, Bush and these three key officials, along with Secretary of State Colin Powell, Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, and White House press secretaries Ari Fleischer and Scott McClellan, stated unequivocally that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction (or was trying to produce or obtain them), links to Al Qaeda, or both.”

On July 2004, the Republican majority led Senate Select Committee released the Intelligence Senate Report on Iraqi WMD Intelligence, which identified numerous failures in intelligence gathering and “analysis” (i.e., interpretation). However, Republicans defended the Bush administration’s statements on Iraq.

An investigation into the administration’s use of the intelligence was delayed for three years due to Republicans claiming it wasn’t as important (Senator Roberts, R-KS) as other pending items. Phase two of the investigation was released in 2007, but not all of the report was released. It determined, “our Committee has concluded that the Administration made significant claims that were not supported by the intelligence.”

Read the examples of the egregious lies told in the lead up to the Iraq War.

Methodology: “Over the past two and a half years, researchers at the Fund for Independence in Journalism have sought to document every public statement made by eight top Bush administration officials from September 11, 2001, to September 11, 2003, regarding (1) Iraq’s possession of weapons of mass destruction and (2) Iraq’s links to Al Qaeda. Although both had been frequently cited as rationales for the U.S. war in Iraq, by 2005 it was known that these assertions had not, in fact, been true.”

http://www.politicususa.com/bush-aides-935-false-statements-iraq-2-years-911.html

by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MelanieJK
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

And the republicans got their butts kicked in 2008.     Same needs to happen to the democrats now.     Two wrongs don't make a right.    If we respond to this with "they all do it",   it's our own damn fault that we get people who all do it.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 6:49 PM
3 moms liked this
Classic deflection tactics by the left to take away the focus from their pet project.
TigOlBitties
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 6:57 PM
2 moms liked this
My question is...if they came out right from the jump and said "All Qaeda just successfully completed an attack on US forces/personnel in Benghazi", what would the Republicans have wanted our response to be? Full fledged war in Libya?

Also, do people really feel that they deserve to know top secret intelligence in real time? I've never expected that and we've never seen that. I don't know why this one attack is different I guess. It's sad and unfortunate of course, but we've had plenty of embassies attacked and personnel killed before...why is this one the most scrutinized? Death and attacks are the type of things that happen with embassies in volatile regions. It's just inevitable.
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I agree.  I keep scratching my head and thinking I am missing something.  I mean, didn't they come out and admit it was an attack pretty quick anyway?  If they were still covering it up now I could see people getting pissed but look how long it took the public to get any info on the reasons for attacking Iraq.  YEARS.  And it was all contradictory.  Many more lives were lost, directly by our actions in the invasion.

Quoting TigOlBitties:

My question is...if they came out right from the jump and said "All Qaeda just successfully completed an attack on US forces/personnel in Benghazi", what would the Republicans have wanted our response to be? Full fledged war in Libya?

Also, do people really feel that they deserve to know top secret intelligence in real time? I've never expected that and we've never seen that. I don't know why this one attack is different I guess. It's sad and unfortunate of course, but we've had plenty of embassies attacked and personnel killed before...why is this one the most scrutinized? Death and attacks are the type of things that happen with embassies in volatile regions. It's just inevitable.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 13, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Because some would like must continue to show the tie to the Democrats and H Clinton- 

Instead of honing their own plausible candidate, they are hoping to smear a foe that they may face in 2016. 

ITA with your comment here.

Quoting TigOlBitties:

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on May. 13, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I am so glad someone is counting this.

Everyone knows there isn't any more important issues in the world than the number of ... {yawn}

... what?

inspain
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Shhhh!!  Republicans never do anything "wrong" they're just misunderstood.  Remember, it's all Obama's fault.

Even if Bush lied (over and over and over and over...), it's still Obama's fault.

ilana_ny
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:34 PM

And Obama does not lie? They all lie. They ALL want money and power, and non of them (Bush or Obama) cares about you or me or pur kids.  

Quoting inspain:

Shhhh!!  Republicans never do anything "wrong" they're just misunderstood.  Remember, it's all Obama's fault.

Even if Bush lied (over and over and over and over...), it's still Obama's fault.

MelanieJK
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:36 PM

The attack was by Al Queda not the Libyans (Obama initially blamed the Libyan protesters).     It was important because Obama was campaigning that Al Queda was on the run and unable to mount a terrorist attack and bragging that there hadn't been any.    That's why the administration made such a point of  calling the  Fort Hood massacre "workplace violence" rather than a terrorist attack.  

YOU the voter needs to be informed when you vote.    You can only make an intelligent decision if you have the truth.    If you choose not to care so be it but it is important that you know what it is that you're chosing not to care about.    

Quoting TigOlBitties:

inspain
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Oh, FFS, does there always have to be a disclaimer???  Yeah, they all lie.  I know that.  You know that.  But most of the Republicans I know would swear on a stack of bibles that their guy doesn't/didn't.  

Look, they're all about the same with some variations on theme and style.  But you have to admit some are really only working for a very select segment of the population.  I say, if you're going to fuck people, fuck EVERYONE.

Quoting ilana_ny:

And Obama does not lie? They all lie. They ALL want money and power, and non of them (Bush or Obama) cares about you or me or pur kids.  

Quoting inspain:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN