Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Serial bully banned from all schools.

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote:

‘Serial Bully’ Banned From All Schools After She Beats Up Classmate & Videotapes It (VIDEO)

by Kiri Blakeley 5 hours ago

A judge has decided that one 14-year-old girl in Jacksonville, Florida isnot fit for any of the schools in that county. Not because she's a genius. And not because she has disabilities. But because she's allegedly an inveterate bully. The eighth grader allegedly lured classmate Aria Jewett off school grounds and then attacked her while 30 students stood around watching. The fight was videotaped. Aria suffered a fractured skull. The attacker girl was arrested. Aria's parents asked for an injunction to keep the girl out of Aria's school but the judgment surprised even them. The judge declared that the girl was too much of a danger for her to be in any of the public schools in the entire county.

Said Florida Circuit Court Judge Henry Davis in his ruling:

This child is a threat to all of the children at any school. The injunction is a permanent injunction barring this child from returning to any public school in Duval County.

Seems like a common sense approach, but the school's superintendent actually disagrees. The superintendent, Nikolai Vitti, says:

I don't think we should use the bad decision that children make outside of school as an example or scapegoat to make a message.

He reportedly went on to say that education is a constitutional right, and that even a girl who smashes another girl's head and videotapes it deserves one. The unnamed girl already has a lawyer and the lawyer is trying to return her to county public schools.

This shows you just about everything that is wrong with schools (and parenting) these days. Students are living in fear of kids like this bullying girl, and yet what appears to be more important to the girl's parents and the school's superintendent is that she gets her education! Never mind that the education system had failed her so far. Perhaps it was teaching her math and science, but it certainly wasn't teaching her empathy or humanity. I think she needs a different school -- the school of Hard Knocks.

I don't mean like the hard knocks she gave Aria, that fractured her skull and could have killed her. I mean the school that says if you screw up, you pay for it. And if you screw up repeatedly -- as allegedly this girl had numerous videotaped beatings to her name -- then you pay royally. And that means maybe your parents -- who seem more concerned about hiring you a lawyer than teaching you how to behave -- have to move away or home school you. Sounds like instead of spending money on a lawyer, they could have bought their daughter a tutor and a lifetime supply of anger management classes. I wonder if Vitti would be fine sending a daughter of his into a classroom with this girl?

Do you think this girl should be allowed back in schools?

Image via CBS News

Link to the story is HERE.

Do you think she should be allowed back in to school?

Myself, no.

Nor do I agree with the statement that school failed to teach her empathy and humanity.  While schools, or some of the teachers and admin, can certainly teach a child along these lines by their own actions, it is not the school responsibility to 'teach' these things.  There is no class designated for this.  This should be taught, and shown, at home.

by on May. 13, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Replies (21-30):
stormcris
by Christy on May. 13, 2013 at 10:38 PM
2 moms liked this

I am curious why she has not been sent to a behavioral school.

However, schools should not be able to police outside of the school property, yet the fact that the child was lured away should be addressed as to how that happened. In this state that would result in either suspension or expulsion and then no school in the state would accept her regardless. 

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:41 PM
I suppose it is. Good analogy.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I don't necessarily disagree... but does her right to an education supercede the rights of others to an education (one where you are free to learn without fear of being beaten)? Or can we assume that this bully has lost her right, because of her actions, in order to maintain the rights of other (innocent) children?

Is it any different than a free person having the "right" to be free, but losing that right when they break the law?

Quoting UpSheRises:

She has the right to and education...asshole or not.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 13, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I agree with the judge also. If we handled more serial bully's like this maybe it wouldn't be so rampant. If the parents of these thugs refuse to do anything about it, then our schools need to do what they can to protect the rest of the student population. 

meriana
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

No she shouldn't be allowed in public school and her parents should be paying the dr. bills for the girl she injured. I wonder what the Superintendent would have said if the girl had been killed, which could have happened.  Her parents should be getting her some kind of help instead of a lawyer to try and get her back into the public schools so she can harm more kids. Maybe they're afraid of her?

With the way bullys are dealt with, just getting suspended for a day or two usually, along with the one they bullied who dared to defend him/herself, it's a wonder we don't have more kids like her.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:48 PM
2 moms liked this

she can get an education in juvie

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on May. 13, 2013 at 10:50 PM
No she doesn't.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:03 PM
If you give someone a skull fracture, you need some serious mental evaluation and therapy! Not to be let lose in school to hurt more people!
daisykat
by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm curious as to what other problems this girl has created. It said she was a serial bully, so has she been thrown out of other schools? How many other fights has she instigated? I'd like to know more about the extent of her bullying.

And yes, she should have an education, but not at the expense of other's safety. Besides, is it doing her any good. After beating this girl within an inch of her life, did she go home and study her algebra? Most likely not.
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Quoting Euphoric:

I agree with the judge.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Youre in the US, right?

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

No she doesn't.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)