Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Angelina Jolie Announces She Has Undergone Preventive Double Mastectomy

Posted by   + Show Post

In an op-ed piece to be published in Tuesday’s New York Times, actressAngelina Jolie has announced that she recently completed a preventive double mastectomy. In the piece, the actress explains that the procedures have decreased her chances of getting breast cancer, from 87% to 5%, and that she feels “empowered that I made a strong choice that in no way diminishes my femininity.”

Jolie says she is sharing her experience now in hopes that other women can benefit from it.

From Jolie’s New York Times op-ed:

My doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer, although the risk is different in the case of each woman.

Only a fraction of breast cancers result from an inherited gene mutation. Those with a defect in BRCA1 have a 65 percent risk of getting it, on average.

Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risk as much I could. I made a decision to have a preventive double mastectomy. I started with the breasts, as my risk of breast cancer is higher than my risk of ovarian cancer, and the surgery is more complex.

On April 27, I finished the three months of medical procedures that the mastectomies involved. During that time I have been able to keep this private and to carry on with my work.

Jolie goes on to describe, in detail, the procedures, including a reconstruction that she says “can be beautiful.” She also praised husband Brad Pittfor his support, and advised “anyone who has a wife or girlfriend going through this, know that you are a very important part of the transition.”

In December of 2011, oddly enough, E! correspondent Giuliana Rancicannounced that she would undergo double mastectomy surgery, and went straight from that announcement to an interview with… Angelina Jolie.

Read the full op-ed here.

by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Goodwoman614
by Satan on May. 14, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Quoting kailu1835:

It has been known for quite some time that xrays can increase the cancer risk. It is why when you go get an x ray on, say, your teeth or skeleton, they always block your breasts and reproductive organs. The kind of xray that is used in mammograms is a different kind. It is made to better permeate the body. This makes it so much more dangerous than regular xrays. It has now been proven, beyond doubt, that the breast cancer risk increases exponentially for people who have certain genetic markers for breast cancer. Doctors are great, but they only know what they are taught in medical school, as opposed to what you've learned, at Google U? Blogger College? Wow. and they are still teaching antiquated medicine, as well as how to do more to the patient, such as medicating when there are safer alternatives.
Quoting Goodwoman614:

Wow. And here I thought there was still a place for regular old doctors. And science.

but not any more!! 

Not when there's *free* advice from repliers on CM threads! 

Goodwoman614
by Satan on May. 14, 2013 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting pj2becca21:

there are many ways to prevent breast cancer.

1. Stay away from mammograms
  2. Stop using Anti- pursperents

Yay! I'll take my medical *advice* from somebody over the Interwebz, who can't even spell.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:36 AM
2 moms liked this
Nice put down. Come up with that yourself, did you? Why don't you check out the medical studies from actual medical journals that corroborate what I listed out, instead of assuming that I don't know what I'm talking about.
Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting kailu1835:

It has been known for quite some time that xrays can increase the cancer risk. It is why when you go get an x ray on, say, your teeth or skeleton, they always block your breasts and reproductive organs. The kind of xray that is used in mammograms is a different kind. It is made to better permeate the body. This makes it so much more dangerous than regular xrays. It has now been proven, beyond doubt, that the breast cancer risk increases exponentially for people who have certain genetic markers for breast cancer. Doctors are great, but they only know what they are taught in medical school, as opposed to what you've learned, at Google U? Blogger College? Wow. and they are still teaching antiquated medicine, as well as how to do more to the patient, such as medicating when there are safer alternatives.
Quoting Goodwoman614:

Wow. And here I thought there was still a place for regular old doctors. And science.

but not any more!! 

Not when there's *free* advice from repliers on CM threads! 

babiesbabybaby development

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

pj2becca21
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Oh cool thanks. I did not know that

Quoting kailu1835:

antiperspirants lol That would be the aluminum in the deodorant that increases risk. You want to stay away from not just antiperspirants, but all things aluminum... like certain baking sodas, all pop cans, etc.
Quoting pj2becca21:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on May. 14, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Im not sure I understand....did she have breast cancer or malignant tumours or benign tumours?

Personally I wouldnt have a double masectomy unless they were riddled with malignant tumours...not benign ones.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on May. 14, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Quoting kailu1835:

antiperspirants lol That would be the aluminum in the deodorant that increases risk. You want to stay away from not just antiperspirants, but all things aluminum... like certain baking sodas, all pop cans, etc.
Quoting pj2becca21:

Yay! Everyone fire your doctors! F*ck those commies! Who needs science? We got interwebz M.D.s to guide us. Yay!!

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:45 AM
It doesn't sound like it. It sounds like she had some genetic testing done and discovered certain genetic markers that indicate that she is at an increased risk for breast cancer and so decided to just get them removed all together. On a side note, I think that will probably be the end of her acting career unless she chooses to wear fakes. I am sure men everywhere and crying in agony lol My husband thinks she is hot lol
Quoting turtle68:

Im not sure I understand....did she have breast cancer or malignant tumours or benign tumours?

Personally I wouldnt have a double masectomy unless they were riddled with malignant tumours...not benign ones.

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

Goodwoman614
by Satan on May. 14, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Quoting pj2becca21:

Oh cool thanks. I did not know that

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting pj2becca21:

Believing what random strangers say regarding medical information: Internet win!!

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Hello, it IS science. Take a second and look it up or quit running your mouth.
Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting pj2becca21:

Yay! Everyone fire your doctors! F*ck those commies! Who needs science? We got interwebz M.D.s to guide us. Yay!!

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

pj2becca21
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Antiperspirant Safety: Should You Sweat It?

What to know about the rumors about antiperspirants.
By 
WebMD Feature
Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD

Word travels fast on the Internet. As stories fly from inbox to inbox, they gain momentum and news sometimes blurs with fiction. A few years ago, an email began circulating that gave many readers reason to pause. It read:

"I just got information from a health seminar that I would like to share. The leading cause of breast cancer is the use of antiperspirant. Yes, ANTIPERSPIRANT. Most of the products out there are an anti-perspirant/deodorant combination so go home and check your labels."

Recommended Related to Skin Problems & Treatments

Pityriasis Rosea

Important It is possible that the main title of the report Pityriasis Rosea is not the name you expected.

Read the Pityriasis Rosea article > >

The email went on to explain how antiperspirant prevents the body from "purging toxins," which, when trapped, find their way into the lymph nodes, where they concentrate and contribute to the cellular changes that lead to cancer. Meanwhile, on the Web, several sites featured stories about a supposed link between antiperspirants andAlzheimer's disease.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/antiperspirant-facts-safety

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting pj2becca21:

Yay! I'll take my medical *advice* from somebody over the Interwebz, who can't even spell.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN