Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Angelina Jolie Announces She Has Undergone Preventive Double Mastectomy

Posted by   + Show Post

In an op-ed piece to be published in Tuesday’s New York Times, actressAngelina Jolie has announced that she recently completed a preventive double mastectomy. In the piece, the actress explains that the procedures have decreased her chances of getting breast cancer, from 87% to 5%, and that she feels “empowered that I made a strong choice that in no way diminishes my femininity.”

Jolie says she is sharing her experience now in hopes that other women can benefit from it.

From Jolie’s New York Times op-ed:

My doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer, although the risk is different in the case of each woman.

Only a fraction of breast cancers result from an inherited gene mutation. Those with a defect in BRCA1 have a 65 percent risk of getting it, on average.

Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risk as much I could. I made a decision to have a preventive double mastectomy. I started with the breasts, as my risk of breast cancer is higher than my risk of ovarian cancer, and the surgery is more complex.

On April 27, I finished the three months of medical procedures that the mastectomies involved. During that time I have been able to keep this private and to carry on with my work.

Jolie goes on to describe, in detail, the procedures, including a reconstruction that she says “can be beautiful.” She also praised husband Brad Pittfor his support, and advised “anyone who has a wife or girlfriend going through this, know that you are a very important part of the transition.”

In December of 2011, oddly enough, E! correspondent Giuliana Rancicannounced that she would undergo double mastectomy surgery, and went straight from that announcement to an interview with… Angelina Jolie.

Read the full op-ed here.

by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:47 AM
You are displaying willful ignorance of the facts.
Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting pj2becca21:

Oh cool thanks. I did not know that

Quoting kailu1835:

antiperspirants lol That would be the aluminum in the deodorant that increases risk. You want to stay away from not just antiperspirants, but all things aluminum... like certain baking sodas, all pop cans, etc.
Quoting pj2becca21:

there are many ways to prevent breast cancer.

1. Stay away from mammograms
  2. Stop using Anti- pursperents

Believing what random strangers say regarding medical information: Internet win!!

babiesbabybaby development

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on May. 14, 2013 at 2:48 AM

You dont think genetics play any part in a family history of breast cancer?

Quoting LindaClement:

I'm with you.

I'm not having one of those mammogram things until they do the same thing to test for testicular cancer.

Breast cancer is associated with two things: physical trauma and radiation. Yea, both at once.

No thanks.

Quoting kailu1835:

Yes, I do mean NOT getting mammograms. Mammograms use xray. For someone who already has genetic markers for breast cancer, a single xray can triple that person's risk. Ultrasound is not only a heck of a lot safer, it is also more accurate in determining whether a lump is a cyst or otherwise.
Quoting OrangeBalloon:

Do you really mean NOT getting mammograms? 

That is pretty extreme, but I don't blame her for doing it. 

Quoting kailu1835:

Whatever. Way too extreme. There are plenty of ways to minimize the risks. Starting with no mammograms.

KayLundy3
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:48 AM
Didn't her mother die of breast cancer?
pj2becca21
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:50 AM

I knew thw Acholah can cause it, because the body can not release the toxins, but  I look it up 

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting pj2becca21:

Oh cool thanks. I did not know that

Quoting kailu1835:

antiperspirants lol That would be the aluminum in the deodorant that increases risk. You want to stay away from not just antiperspirants, but all things aluminum... like certain baking sodas, all pop cans, etc.
Quoting pj2becca21:

Believing what random strangers say regarding medical information: Internet win!!

Goodwoman614
by Satan on May. 14, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Quoting kailu1835:

Hello, it IS science. Take a second and look it up or quit running your mouth.
Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting pj2becca21:

Yay! Everyone fire your doctors! F*ck those commies! Who needs science? We got interwebz M.D.s to guide us. Yay!!

Cuz if I find it on the interwebz, then I'll know everything worth knowing, medically! 

No need for doctors, insurance...that commie Obamacare...why didn't I think of it sooner?!?!?

& if I'm really feeling lazy (*cough*ignorant*cough*), why, I can just come here and fine ppl like YOU will clue me in!!

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:53 AM
Of course it does. But you can have the genetics for it and never get breast cancer. But if you get a mammogram, you increase your risk exponentially (the risks are minimal if you don't have the specific genetic markers). Which is why I mentioned earlier that ultrasounds are safer and more effective.
Quoting turtle68:

You dont think genetics play any part in a family history of breast cancer?

Quoting LindaClement:

I'm with you.

I'm not having one of those mammogram things until they do the same thing to test for testicular cancer.

Breast cancer is associated with two things: physical trauma and radiation. Yea, both at once.

No thanks.

Quoting kailu1835:

Yes, I do mean NOT getting mammograms. Mammograms use xray. For someone who already has genetic markers for breast cancer, a single xray can triple that person's risk. Ultrasound is not only a heck of a lot safer, it is also more accurate in determining whether a lump is a cyst or otherwise.
Quoting OrangeBalloon:

Do you really mean NOT getting mammograms? 

That is pretty extreme, but I don't blame her for doing it. 

Quoting kailu1835:

Whatever. Way too extreme. There are plenty of ways to minimize the risks. Starting with no mammograms.

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 2:55 AM
1 mom liked this
If you're unwilling to open your mind to the fact that doctors are not Gods and do not always practice sound, scientific based medicine, then there's no point to further conversation. However, the American Cancer Society agrees with me, that radiation to the chest increases the risk of cancer. Mammograms are radiation. ergo.....
Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting pj2becca21:

Yay! Everyone fire your doctors! F*ck those commies! Who needs science? We got interwebz M.D.s to guide us. Yay!!

Cuz if I find it on the interwebz, then I'll know everything worth knowing, medically! 

No need for doctors, insurance...that commie Obamacare...why didn't I think of it sooner?!?!?

& if I'm really feeling lazy (*cough*ignorant*cough*), why, I can just come here and fine ppl like YOU will clue me in!!

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

RandRMomma
by Maya on May. 14, 2013 at 2:58 AM
I don't understand why she got the double mastectomy. It's not a surefire way of preventing breast cancer, or any other cancer for that matter. Cancers do spread.

I also don't understand the hooblah over people sharing their opinions on certain areas of medicine on the Internet. Anyone with half of a brain should have enough common sense to know that they should always consult with their doctors before taking something on the Internet as the 100% truth.

With all of that said, that's not a procedure that I'd get done.
RandRMomma
by Maya on May. 14, 2013 at 2:59 AM
Doctors are "gods" to some people.

Quoting kailu1835:

If you're unwilling to open your mind to the fact that doctors are not Gods and do not always practice sound, scientific based medicine, then there's no point to further conversation. However, the American Cancer Society agrees with me, that radiation to the chest increases the risk of cancer. Mammograms are radiation. ergo.....
Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting pj2becca21:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on May. 14, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Is there anyway to find breast cancer in time to have treatment without a mammogram?

Quoting kailu1835:

It doesn't sound like it. It sounds like she had some genetic testing done and discovered certain genetic markers that indicate that she is at an increased risk for breast cancer and so decided to just get them removed all together. On a side note, I think that will probably be the end of her acting career unless she chooses to wear fakes. I am sure men everywhere and crying in agony lol My husband thinks she is hot lol
Quoting turtle68:

Im not sure I understand....did she have breast cancer or malignant tumours or benign tumours?

Personally I wouldnt have a double masectomy unless they were riddled with malignant tumours...not benign ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)