Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Where's the anti gun crowd after the NOLA shootings?

Posted by   + Show Post
For the record, I have no stance on gun control, I view guns the same way I view abortion: don't like them, don't get one. I was surprised, though, that there was no cry for stricter gun control after the shooting in Nawlins. Why has it been so quiet? I've asked a few people IRL this question and have gotten interesting answers, so I thought I'd ask you ladies.
by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Replies (21-30):
RandRMomma
by Maya on May. 14, 2013 at 12:44 PM
I haven't heard about it until this post. So, my guess is that most people don't know about it.
MelanieJK
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I did see a report making sure that we knew that it was just street crime not terrorism.     I kinda think that the people in that parade felt as much terror as the people in the marathon.     Political correctness is a method for turning people into mindless robots.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Aren't more guns supposed to make us safer?

SuperChicken
by on May. 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I've seen a few people wondering why the so many people were shot when having guns is supposed to make us all safe because the good guys with guns would protect us from the bad guys with guns, so where were the good guys that day.  But that's about it. 

There has been less outrage about this incident, which I assume is because nobody died.  They were wounded, yes, but that doesn't stack up next to dead children on the outrage scale.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Political correctness? Isn't that a 'liberal' thing?

Isn't it mostly a conservative issue to make things domestic terrorism?

So who is being a mindless robot? I'm really not sure here.

Gun control or gun violence doesn't really care what it's called and it is my opinion that more guns do not make us safer.

Quoting MelanieJK:

I did see a report making sure that we knew that it was just street crime not terrorism.     I kinda think that the people in that parade felt as much terror as the people in the marathon.     Political correctness is a method for turning people into mindless robots.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 12:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Also: OP, perhaps this isn't as big a 'gun control' issue because people were not killed. This probably indicates that the gun used was not a high capacity magazine assault type weapon. Gun control does not mean yanking all guns and shackling all gun enthusiasts based on gun violence incidences all around. It means looking at patterns and understanding where the best most logical regulations need to be made.

This does NOT mean this incident was not a tragedy. By any means. There are many terrorized people out there from this incident.

candlegal
by Judy on May. 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM
3 moms liked this

Right now they are busy spinning the talking points to keep Obama from getting the blame for Benghazi, the IRS and the AP.   They have enough to keep them busy these days.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I am glad you posted this, as I wonder the same...not to mention national concern/reaction. How is this different than Sandy Hook?

:(

SuperChicken
by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Nobody died?  A bunch of little children were not murdered?  That's a big difference, imo.    I for one am relieved to to be mourning even more children.

Quoting Radarma:

I am glad you posted this, as I wonder the same...not to mention national concern/reaction. How is this different than Sandy Hook?

Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 14, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I guess the outcome is why the interest/attention seems less.

Hadn't thought of it that way...I just think anyone opening fire on a crowd of innocents including KIDS is horrifying.

Quoting SuperChicken:

I've seen a few people wondering why the so many people were shot when having guns is supposed to make us all safe because the good guys with guns would protect us from the bad guys with guns, so where were the good guys that day.  But that's about it. 

There has been less outrage about this incident, which I assume is because nobody died.  They were wounded, yes, but that doesn't stack up next to dead children on the outrage scale.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)