Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do/say?

Posted by on May. 14, 2013 at 5:23 PM
  • 10 Replies

Do you call people on their words? Does it matter how well you know them?

Have you ever experienced an encounter that left you shocked and bewildered?

Recently in the lounge one of the staff members said, "You won't find any mexicans or black people working here because we have no use for them. They should know their place."(truth be told it's just a bunch of white ladies and one lone man who is also white, as far as I know anyway.)

People exited that room so fast it was like a fire drill!

by on May. 14, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Della529
by Matlock on May. 14, 2013 at 5:26 PM

In that case, I'd walk out of the establishment.

ashellbell
by shellbark on May. 14, 2013 at 5:30 PM
I would've given them the stink eye and reported them.
Tag3.0
by on May. 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I would have reported them.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 5:39 PM

For your example, I'd have to know why I was there in the first place to determine whether I would take a seat, or go back to the lobby/parking lot, or leave altogether.

Usually I don't get bothered by people's words, unless they're picking on someone elses words and they're speaking like an idiot.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I would have left too (being Mexican....LOL) and then I would have talked to their suppervisor about the issue. 

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2013 at 5:43 PM

At work, I probably would have mumbled something under my breath, left, and made it a point to not be near that person anymore.

It really depends on who the person is and where we are.  Hubby has an Uncle who is a blatant racist/bigot and isn't shy about it.  He's actually quite proud of himself.  While I bite my tongue while at one of my hubby's relative's homes, I will not tolerate him speaking that way in my own. 

PestPatti
by on May. 14, 2013 at 5:52 PM
4 moms liked this

I probably would have said " No, but apparently we have a dumbass working here".

Donna6503
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Why do I feel they wouldn't say that to me.

:/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SWasson
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I do call people on their words when they're really offensive like that, as long as I know them or know OF them. With strangers, it depends on whether or not I get a "danger" vibe from them.

MelanieJK
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 6:26 PM

This was a workplace?     You should confront them and/or report them.    That's describing real discrimination.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured