Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Amy's Baking Company--- Recipe for Insanity?

Posted by   + Show Post

Did anyone catch this fiasco? jaw drop

How Not To React To Internet Criticism: The Epic Facebook Meltdown Of Amy’s Baking Company

amy_knivesIt appears that the owners of Amy’s Baking Company in Arizona expected an appearance on celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay’s “Kitchen Nightmares” program to vindicate them. They believed that they serve quality food, that they have been unfairly slandered by the entire Internet. Maybe they had never seen the reality program, which features last-ditch efforts to save failing restaurants run by people who are delusional or incompetent…and frequently both.

Normally, no one would care about a little cafe/pizzeria/bakery in Arizona. Amy’s showed up on the map in 2010 after a paranoid, unhinged rant aimed at a man who posted a one-star review about an undercooked pizza. The owner accused the reviewer of not knowing what fresh dough and tomatoes should taste like, of working for a competing restaurant, and of being ugly. “Do US a favor and keep your ugly face and you ugly opinions to yourself and go back to the restaurant that you really work at!!” she wrote.

More than two years later, the owners signed on to Ramsay’s show. It’s not clear why: perhaps they believed that Ramsay would taste their amazing food, vindicate the business, and stand outside the door swearing at everyone with a Yelp account in order to make them go away. Instead, Ramsay walked away from a restaurant makeover for the first time in more than a hundred episodes on two continents.

Normally, the program follows a strict formula: a stubborn owner or chef believes that they have the best food in the country and can’t understand why customers stay away. Often, in the United States version of the program, there are terrible family or staff conflicts. Planted customers send their crappy food back in dismay. Everyone except the front-line staff butts heads with Ramsay until a crucial peak to the conflict that usually involves some kind of ancient slimy meat in the freezer. The menu is made over, a different batch of planted customers show up and like the food, and hearts are warmed.

The Amy’s Baking Company episode ended at the very peak of the conflict…as the owners refused to take any criticism from Ramsay. If he wasn’t going to make the mean Yelpers go away, what could he do for them? Nothing.

But this isn’t a TV recap. We frequently focus on business owners who show everyone how not to react to bad online reviews, and Amy’s Baking Company is providing a master class in that as we speak…on Facebook.

A Reddit thread linked to the restaurant’s page, providing a steady influx of trolls. A more savvy business would shut down their Facebook page. This is not that business.

Screen Shot 2013-05-14 at 12.56.35 PM

Screen Shot 2013-05-14 at 12.56.17 PM

Screen Shot 2013-05-14 at 12.56.08 PM

Screen Shot 2013-05-14 at 12.57.35 PM

Screen Shot 2013-05-14 at 12.57.21 PM

Screen Shot 2013-05-14 at 12.56.45 PM

lunch_reservations

Just you watch, Internet blogger nerds! This restaurant is going to sic the SCOTTSDALE, ARIZONA POLICE DEPARTMENT ON YOU!

policearecoming

The font on that last comment seems pretty legit.

http://consumerist.com/2013/05/14/amys-baking-company-shows-businesses-how-not-to-react-to-internet-criticism-in-epic-facebook-meltdown/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyclay/2013/05/14/lessons-from-amys-baking-company-six-things-you-should-never-do-on-social-media/

by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Replies (101-110):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

There used to be this greek restaurant in Edmonds called AP Barbaras.  They have the best Spaghetti Mazithra in the entire world (what tiny portion I've been to anyway, lol).  The restaurant changed hands when a Korean guy and his family bought it.  Nicest family ever.  Sometimes they brought their little ones in.  Anyway, they started shrinking portion sizes, as well as shortening hours, and when my uncle and I talked to him he said it cost close to 1000/day just to keep the place open.  I could not imagine.  The spaghetti dish was only around 6 bucks for the plate, the lasagne my uncle got was around 8.  I can't imagine that he was selling over 120 dishes a day.  They never seemed very busy when we were there.  The eventually went out of business, and I can't find Spaghetti Mazithra anywhere else :(

Quoting stacymomof2:

I'm thinking there is money behind it, that they are just dumping in money to make the bills.  Unfortunately I see it all the time, most restaurants lose money more than they make it.  The little deli my hubs and I own makes money because my husband does everything there and works open to close 6 days a week.  Unfortunately the place that we opened at my job (where I work for someone else) has been operating in the red all this past winter.  It is an ugly, hard business.  We are killing ourselves trying to turn it around.  The profit margins are very, very narrow.  People who are new to the business almost always fail.  They don't have a realistic idea at the amount of work it actually takes to run a busy, clean restaurant with consistently good food.

Quoting kailu1835:

I honestly don't understand how they are still in business!

Quoting LilliesValley:

LMFAO! I saw this and watched the video on Fox. These people are insane. I hope they go out of business soon.

babiesbabybaby development

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM

If a picture was copywrited and used whoever owned the copywrite could sue.  But if it is a stock image then no.  When you buy a stock image you own permission to use it.

I'm no law expert but being in this business for as long as I have I know one thing...no one "owns" a recipe or a certain presentation unless it is in manufacturing.  (Like the recipe for coke or something.)

Any restaurant can try to copy recipes for any other restaurant, or use recipes they find online or in a cookbook.

Quoting kailu1835:

I'm clueless about this, but I'm curious... what if said pictures/presentations/recipes were copywrited?  Would it then be illegal?

Quoting stacymomof2:

Yeah, you can argue the ethics of it but it isn't illegal.  It's not illegal to copy recipes or presentations or anything.  It certainly isn't illegal to buy frozen stuff and call it "fresh." 

joyfree
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Here's the latest from the deadly duo:

Other Side of Amy’s Baking Company Controversy in Scottsdale To Soon Be Told

SCOTTSDALE, AZ. MAY 15, 2013 -- Amy’s Baking Company will host a Grand Re-Opening on Tuesday night, May 21, following unflattering portrayals on national television.

Customers will be able to decide who is correct: a famous celebrity chef or the marketplace that has supported the small, locally-owned business for six years.

When re-opened, a portion of proceeds will benefit a charity organized to bring awareness to cyber bullying.

Seating is limited. Reservations may be made by emailing sjones@rosemoserallynpr.com.

Diners will also have the opportunity to meet, and judge for themselves the character of owners Amy and Samy Bouzaglo, who have devoted their lives to and earn their living from their small restaurant. The Bouzaglos have been married for 10 years, after Sammy emigrated from Israel.

The owners will likely be holding a press conference before the Grand Re-Opening and answer falsehoods depicted on a reality television show, including assertions that the restaurant confiscates tips from servers.

In fact, wait staff is paid $8-$14 per hour, two and half to nearly five times the standard hourly wage for servers.

Questions will also be answered about what happened to their Facebook page.

Amy’s Baking Company was recently featured on the hit PBS show “Check Please” and has received A+ reports from CBS 5 for kitchen preparedness.

“We are very upset by what has taken place, apologize about the acrimony that has ensued but now must fight back to save our business. We hope and believe much good can result from what has transpired. We ask the public to keep an open mind as we begin to tell our side of the story,” Samy Bouzaglo said.

For more details, please contact Michael Saucier.

-30-
See More
Like · · · 21 minutes ago ·
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Yeah, it is really really tough even for experienced people to make money.  The overhead is crazy, labor costs are crazy even though most of the staff is minimum wage, insurance, rent or mortgage, hell just the water bill.  A slow month can turn into a hellish spiral of cutting costs and cutting corners, service and quality goes in the toilet, boom, crappy yelp review and bye bye restaurant.  

Quoting kailu1835:

There used to be this greek restaurant in Edmonds called AP Barbaras.  They have the best Spaghetti Mazithra in the entire world (what tiny portion I've been to anyway, lol).  The restaurant changed hands when a Korean guy and his family bought it.  Nicest family ever.  Sometimes they brought their little ones in.  Anyway, they started shrinking portion sizes, as well as shortening hours, and when my uncle and I talked to him he said it cost close to 1000/day just to keep the place open.  I could not imagine.  The spaghetti dish was only around 6 bucks for the plate, the lasagne my uncle got was around 8.  I can't imagine that he was selling over 120 dishes a day.  They never seemed very busy when we were there.  The eventually went out of business, and I can't find Spaghetti Mazithra anywhere else :(

Quoting stacymomof2:

I'm thinking there is money behind it, that they are just dumping in money to make the bills.  Unfortunately I see it all the time, most restaurants lose money more than they make it.  The little deli my hubs and I own makes money because my husband does everything there and works open to close 6 days a week.  Unfortunately the place that we opened at my job (where I work for someone else) has been operating in the red all this past winter.  It is an ugly, hard business.  We are killing ourselves trying to turn it around.  The profit margins are very, very narrow.  People who are new to the business almost always fail.  They don't have a realistic idea at the amount of work it actually takes to run a busy, clean restaurant with consistently good food.

Quoting kailu1835:

I honestly don't understand how they are still in business!

Quoting LilliesValley:

LMFAO! I saw this and watched the video on Fox. These people are insane. I hope they go out of business soon.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Cyber bullying? They swear at their customers and tell them to get out if they dare complain, they try to hurt their customers, and THEY are complaining about being bullied???

Quoting joyfree:

Here's the latest from the deadly duo:

Other Side of Amy’s Baking Company Controversy in Scottsdale To Soon Be Told

SCOTTSDALE, AZ. MAY 15, 2013 -- Amy’s Baking Company will host a Grand Re-Opening on Tuesday night, May 21, following unflattering portrayals on national television.

Customers will be able to decide who is correct: a famous celebrity chef or the marketplace that has supported the small, locally-owned business for six years.

When re-opened, a portion of proceeds will benefit a charity organized to bring awareness to cyber bullying.

Seating is limited. Reservations may be made by emailing sjones@rosemoserallynpr.com.

Diners will also have the opportunity to meet, and judge for themselves the character of owners Amy and Samy Bouzaglo, who have devoted their lives to and earn their living from their small restaurant. The Bouzaglos have been married for 10 years, after Sammy emigrated from Israel.

The owners will likely be holding a press conference before the Grand Re-Opening and answer falsehoods depicted on a reality television show, including assertions that the restaurant confiscates tips from servers.

In fact, wait staff is paid $8-$14 per hour, two and half to nearly five times the standard hourly wage for servers.

Questions will also be answered about what happened to their Facebook page.

Amy’s Baking Company was recently featured on the hit PBS show “Check Please” and has received A+ reports from CBS 5 for kitchen preparedness.

“We are very upset by what has taken place, apologize about the acrimony that has ensued but now must fight back to save our business. We hope and believe much good can result from what has transpired. We ask the public to keep an open mind as we begin to tell our side of the story,” Samy Bouzaglo said.

For more details, please contact Michael Saucier.

-30-
See More

Like · · · 21 minutes ago ·

thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM

It sometimes amazes me that he hasn't walked away more often. He winds up with some doozies.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on May. 16, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Some people are just bonkers. I was browsing earlier tonight and caught an episode of that Mystery Diners on Food Network where the manager/hostess had gotten dumped by a much younger male server and was refusing to seat guests at his tables, and she was heavily flirting with customers, giving them free food, and when she asked one guy who she had given a free drink to out and he said no, she literally took the check out of his hand and had to go "make adjustments" and added the drink to the bill! 

Nuts, just nuts. 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on May. 16, 2013 at 1:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I couldn't watch this past the 9 minute mark. That lady's BATSHIT crazy.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 19, 2013 at 2:39 AM
1 mom liked this

There is a petition to have her committed.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/have-amy-bouzaglo-committed/q5JK3hhw

It only needs 809 more signatures. 

jarkrt
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 6:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I never watch Kitchen Nightmares, but I had to see what all the fuss was about. And, wow! I'm only seven minutes into it, and just ... wow. There are no words. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN