Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Amy's Baking Company--- Recipe for Insanity?

Posted by   + Show Post

Did anyone catch this fiasco? jaw drop

How Not To React To Internet Criticism: The Epic Facebook Meltdown Of Amy’s Baking Company

amy_knivesIt appears that the owners of Amy’s Baking Company in Arizona expected an appearance on celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay’s “Kitchen Nightmares” program to vindicate them. They believed that they serve quality food, that they have been unfairly slandered by the entire Internet. Maybe they had never seen the reality program, which features last-ditch efforts to save failing restaurants run by people who are delusional or incompetent…and frequently both.

Normally, no one would care about a little cafe/pizzeria/bakery in Arizona. Amy’s showed up on the map in 2010 after a paranoid, unhinged rant aimed at a man who posted a one-star review about an undercooked pizza. The owner accused the reviewer of not knowing what fresh dough and tomatoes should taste like, of working for a competing restaurant, and of being ugly. “Do US a favor and keep your ugly face and you ugly opinions to yourself and go back to the restaurant that you really work at!!” she wrote.

More than two years later, the owners signed on to Ramsay’s show. It’s not clear why: perhaps they believed that Ramsay would taste their amazing food, vindicate the business, and stand outside the door swearing at everyone with a Yelp account in order to make them go away. Instead, Ramsay walked away from a restaurant makeover for the first time in more than a hundred episodes on two continents.

Normally, the program follows a strict formula: a stubborn owner or chef believes that they have the best food in the country and can’t understand why customers stay away. Often, in the United States version of the program, there are terrible family or staff conflicts. Planted customers send their crappy food back in dismay. Everyone except the front-line staff butts heads with Ramsay until a crucial peak to the conflict that usually involves some kind of ancient slimy meat in the freezer. The menu is made over, a different batch of planted customers show up and like the food, and hearts are warmed.

The Amy’s Baking Company episode ended at the very peak of the conflict…as the owners refused to take any criticism from Ramsay. If he wasn’t going to make the mean Yelpers go away, what could he do for them? Nothing.

But this isn’t a TV recap. We frequently focus on business owners who show everyone how not to react to bad online reviews, and Amy’s Baking Company is providing a master class in that as we speak…on Facebook.

A Reddit thread linked to the restaurant’s page, providing a steady influx of trolls. A more savvy business would shut down their Facebook page. This is not that business.

Screen Shot 2013-05-14 at 12.56.35 PM

Screen Shot 2013-05-14 at 12.56.17 PM

Screen Shot 2013-05-14 at 12.56.08 PM

Screen Shot 2013-05-14 at 12.57.35 PM

Screen Shot 2013-05-14 at 12.57.21 PM

Screen Shot 2013-05-14 at 12.56.45 PM

lunch_reservations

Just you watch, Internet blogger nerds! This restaurant is going to sic the SCOTTSDALE, ARIZONA POLICE DEPARTMENT ON YOU!

policearecoming

The font on that last comment seems pretty legit.

http://consumerist.com/2013/05/14/amys-baking-company-shows-businesses-how-not-to-react-to-internet-criticism-in-epic-facebook-meltdown/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyclay/2013/05/14/lessons-from-amys-baking-company-six-things-you-should-never-do-on-social-media/

by on May. 14, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Replies (41-50):
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Thanks!  :D

Quoting autodidact:

ha! not now, you don't 

it's all over online, here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6LY7TJ16pg

Ahh!  I can't wait to see it.  I love Kitchen Nightmares.  I have to wait for it to come online.

GLWerth
by Gina on May. 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I watched the show just tonight. Wow, what a couple of crazy people.

And the sad thing is that the waitresses were all rather sweet through the whole thing. Even the two people who used to work there weren't nasty about them.

Crazy.

Tag3.0
by on May. 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM

sHE IS TRYING TO BE FAMOUS. BITCH WILL GET HER OWN SHOW.

Lizardannie1966
by on May. 14, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I am not able to see the posting from October. It seems to jump from November and December to March, then April and this month.

Nuts...all of it. Just nuts.

Quoting Mipsy:

Yes its posted 5 times in one day in December of 2012. I highly doubt its been hack for 6 months or more. They have a nasty status posted in October of 2012. Plus if they are able to log on and "claim" they've been hacked, why haven't they deleted that status in 2012 or corrected that posting 5 times? Cuz they are idiots.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

No, I meant that it's posted on the same day five times and as many times as they've been on to argue with others on their FB page, it just seems odd that haven't fixed this.

I believe they're unprofessional and yes, idiots but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt about the FB page.

Quoting Mipsy:

They posted that news article in 2012. I don't believe for a second their page is hacked or ever has been. I believe they are true idiots.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

They spammed their own FB page five times with the Phoenix New Times article about Gordon Ramsey and didn't fix it? Why would they do this?

As nutty as she is and as many wrongs as have been committed by them, I wonder if their FB page has been hacked?

And honestly, some of the comments to them (some of which are saying things like, "I've never been in your restaurant before.........but.............uh......") on their FB are getting ridiculous, too.

Lizardannie1966
by on May. 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM

There's also a Crazy Amy's Baking Company that was created last week on the 9th and it's.......well...I don't know how the law works when it comes to this sort of thing and Facebook pages. I'm not even sure if what's on there would be something that Amy and Samy could pursue legally.

It's funny. Without a doubt, but wow........someone must have some considerable time on their hands to have created this page devoted to bashing Amy and Samy. lol

Quoting joyfree:

OMG! They have created two new Facebook pages yet they're still spewing bile and venom!!!

"I Love Amy's Baking Company", and "Amy's Baking Company Bakery Boutique & Bistro New Official"

slapgoing crazytoddler tantrum

katy_kay08
by on May. 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL...now they are claiming all of their accounts have been hacked.  

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 14, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Freak.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on May. 14, 2013 at 11:43 PM
2 moms liked this
joyfree
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Thank you! Shortcuts don't work in Chrome and I was too lazy to go back to post that link in Internet Explorer... I think the woman is NUTS! She just keeps dishing it out, doesn't she? Why make a new page while the old one is still up and then continue insulting the readers? Especially after she tried to edit out all her own crazy posts on the old one?

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Their new official FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/AmysBakingCompanyBakeryBoutiqueBistroNew

kiriis
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

The facebook now says that all of their accounts were hacked, and they didn't say any of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)