Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fourth Grader Creates Documentary About School's Horrible Meals

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 8 Replies

Fourth Grader Zachary Maxwell Creates Documentary About School's Horrible Meals

article image
By Ashley Davis, Tue, May 14, 2013

An 11-year-old boy who attends a New York City public school was upset when his parents said he could not bring a lunch to school, and should instead buy lunches there. He was upset mainly because the lunches at his school were disgusting.

In order to convince his family that the school lunches were not only disgusting, but unhealthy, he secretly filmed his meals and created a documentary out of it.

Zachary Maxwell put together the film, with the help of his father, which included meals he ate over a six month period.

Titled "Yuck: A 4th Grader's Short Documentary About School Lunch," the 20-minute film has captured the attention of many film festivals, and is even set to be screened at the Manhattan Film Festival next month.

"The city's Department of Education says that it's committed to providing 'delicious and nutritious meals through their food service program,'" Maxwell says in the trailer, "But the lunch being served at my school was nothing like what they were advertising on their website."

A clip reveals that his school supposedly enlisted the helped of celebrity chefs, like Rachel Ray and Ellie Krieger, to come up with healthy food options. But Maxwell discovered that the school was not using the chefs' recommendations, as most of the meals were bland and unappetizing.

The school is upset over the film, as a spokesperson for the school board accused Maxwell of doctoring footage by selectively serving himself food that did not include healthy elements.

And at one point, his project almost collapsed, as his teacher caught him filming without permission. He managed to get away with it by pretending he had deleted the footage.

Despite the school's outrage, Maxwell is receiving praise from others. He has been asked to serve as an adviser to the New York City Department of Education's Office of School Food.

Since filming the documentary, he has started bringing his food from home.

Sources: Daily Mail, Manolith

by on May. 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
boobarandbell
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 9:57 AM

so they're saying he 'selectively choose foods without healthy elements'... that they offer, and it's not their fault? I've seen my kids shcool lunches, and i'm not too impressed either. My son takes lunch most days from home. When i was in school, we were given all the food groups, period. Now, all food groups are provided, but kids can opt to take what they want! When i've been up at school visiting or voluntering, i saw SO many kids not taking fruits, or vegetables. BUT, we are charged the same amount whether or not they take all the food provided. 

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Quoting boobarandbell:

so they're saying he 'selectively choose foods without healthy elements'... that they offer, and it's not their fault? I've seen my kids shcool lunches, and i'm not too impressed either. My son takes lunch most days from home. When i was in school, we were given all the food groups, period. Now, all food groups are provided, but kids can opt to take what they want! When i've been up at school visiting or voluntering, i saw SO many kids not taking fruits, or vegetables. BUT, we are charged the same amount whether or not they take all the food provided. 

In my district, if kids take all of the food groups, the lunch account is charged $2.25 (full price). If they do not, the lunch account is charged an additional $.50.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

A little girl in Scotland did much the same thing - she began photographing and blogging about her disgusting school lunches - and she made a real difference.  Here it is, you need to start from her first entry:

http://neverseconds.blogspot.com/

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on May. 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM

bump

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Quoting boobarandbell:

In my district, if kids take all of the food groups, the lunch account is charged $2.25 (full price). If they do not, the lunch account is charged an additional $.50.

I think that's a great idea. It also lets the parents know thier kids aren't chooseing the good stuff.

But I have to wonder, what about the kids on free lunch? They can't be charged an extra .50

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM

You're right but for the life of me, I can't remember what the notice said about free/reduced lunch. I think there was a charge for them but it wasn't quite as high. The notice doesn't seem to be available, any longer, on the district website but I could be looking in the wrong area.

Of course, the kids are taking it but no one is ensuring that it's being eaten so a lot of it is probably going to waste.

I know that my high schooler doesn't eat fruit.  I don't know why, he just doesn't like it. He takes after one of my brothers like that. Anyway, he will take a fruit to ensure the lower cost but he usually just passes it off to a friend or drops it in front of some random kid in the lunch room.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Quoting boobarandbell:

I think that's a great idea. It also lets the parents know thier kids aren't chooseing the good stuff.

But I have to wonder, what about the kids on free lunch? They can't be charged an extra .50

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on May. 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Well hell. You can't force a kid to eat healthy. My kids aren't keen on eating the good stuff so I just don't buy the crap. So when they're at home they don't have much of an option,lol. But really when they're at school, what can you do?

Quoting lizmarie1975:

You're right but for the life of me, I can't remember what the notice said about free/reduced lunch. I think there was a charge for them but it wasn't quite as high. The notice doesn't seem to be available, any longer, on the district website but I could be looking in the wrong area.

Of course, the kids are taking it but no one is ensuring that it's being eaten so a lot of it is probably going to waste.

I know that my high schooler doesn't eat fruit.  I don't know why, he just doesn't like it. He takes after one of my brothers like that. Anyway, he will take a fruit to ensure the lower cost but he usually just passes it off to a friend or drops it in front of some random kid in the lunch room.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Quoting boobarandbell:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

cherlygirlie
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I think this is great! Our school is fairly good about providing healthy lunches, but my kids still think they are disgusting and take their lunch every day. IMO, I don't think they should offer unhealthy options. It's one thing to serve pizza on Fridays, it's another to have soft pretzels, ice cream and cookies available every day.  Our school rarely has fresh vegetables (always cans because of storage, but yet the food truck delivers 2-3x per week) and the fresh fruit usually doesn't look so great either. My daughter (also 4th grade) eats a ton of produce, so she is picky about the quality of it - she used to eat buffalo chicken salad occassionally, but said the lettuce was always wilted and brown. Who wants to eat that?!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured