Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sarah, of the bible, has had no luck concieving with her half-brother/husband. She lays with a king and has a baby later that year....

Posted by   + Show Post
Reading the bible eventually made an atheist out of me. Nothing in the bible seemed to reflect what was taught to me in church. Anyone else feel the same?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
jehosoba84
by Jenn on May. 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting prommy:

Maybe you should try to be more honest. God sent an angel who asked Mary if she would accept this gift. She wasn't sexually assaulted, she freely chose to carry God's son in her womb. Joseph loved Mary and when the angel visited him he too accepted this great gift. Your "title" makes this truly beautiful event sound sordid.

This is what I was thinking ^^

autodidact
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

eye rolling

Quoting prommy:

I wish you Christian bashers would find another damned hobby.

Autodidact, Unrepentant Heathen

coronado25
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM
I feel that that makes it even worse that the deity chose not to speak to Mary directly. He sent a male angel who was very beautiful by biblical accounts. either way, the Christian god chose an unmarried woman, betrothed to another man to impregnate.

Quoting prommy:

Quoting coronado25:

You are not to call me a Christian basher. I am stating that the bible does not reflect what I was taught at church...or at home, for that matter by my CHristian parents. If you feel threatened by the subject matter of this post and have nothing but accusatory drivel that adds nothing to discussion then why bother to post?

Quoting prommy:

Maybe you should try to be more honest. God sent an angel who asked Mary if she would accept this gift. She wasn't sexually assaulted, she freely chose to carry God's son in her womb. Joseph loved Mary and when the angel visited him he too accepted this great gift. Your "title" makes this truly beautiful event sound sordid. If that's all you got from this incredible birth then good riddance.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prommy
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mehamil1:

She doesn't believe that. I don't either. What you think is a "gift" and a great story is to me a myth. It's a myth based on many other myths of a similar story line. Not uncommon at that place and time. 

If you can't handle someone criticizing your miracle I wonder how strong your faith is in that miracle. 

Quoting prommy:
Quoting coronado25:
You are not to call me a Christian basher. I am stating that the bible does not reflect what I was taught at church...or at home, for that matter by my CHristian parents. If you feel threatened by the subject matter of this post and have nothing but accusatory drivel that adds nothing to discussion then why bother to post?
Quoting prommy:

I wis you Christian bashers would find another damned hobby.

Maybe you should try to be more honest. God sent an angel who asked Mary if she would accept this gift. She wasn't sexually assaulted, she freely chose to carry God's son in her womb. Joseph loved Mary and when the angel visited him he too accepted this great gift. Your "title" makes this truly beautiful event sound sordid. If that's all you got from this incredible birth then good riddance.

Right... you/she can say any ugly thing you want but if someone else has a different opinion it is not valid or acceptable. So when you did a post not too long ago that was nothing more than bullying someone else on CM that was OK. Now I get it, it's only acceptable if you say it.

jehosoba84
by Jenn on May. 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Legit question: What were you taught in church that went against or did not reflect the Bible?

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:36 PM
6 moms liked this
FYI, atheists don't believe in your god. So I'm not sure what your expectations are in reading this thread, but it's probably not going to end up with all of us being moved by this "incredible birth". I prefer to call it like it is, Mary got pregnant out of wedlock, and made up one hell of a story!
Quoting prommy:

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting prommy:

prommy
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting coronado25:

I feel that that makes it even worse that the deity chose not to speak to Mary directly. He sent a male angel who was very beautiful by biblical accounts. either way, the Christian god chose an unmarried woman, betrothed to another man to impregnate.

Quoting prommy:

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting prommy:

I was always taught that the Glory of God was too great for a person to behold. He sent an angel so that Mary wouldn't be so frightrened. He saw how wonderful a person she was and chose her to be the mother of his child, should she accept the role.

prommy
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting pansyprincess:

FYI, atheists don't believe in your god. So I'm not sure what your expectations are in reading this thread, but it's probably not going to end up with all of us being moved by this "incredible birth". I prefer to call it like it is, Mary got pregnant out of wedlock, and made up one hell of a story!
Quoting prommy:

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting prommy:

Wow! I'm being lectured about my belief system from someone who doesn't have one! Funny! Very Funny!

coronado25
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM
2 moms liked this
How is this a distortion though? In the story, mary is pregnant by her god while she is betrothed to a man. Whether I believe or you believe in such things is besides the point if we look at the words of the story then it is true that mary who is already betrothed gets pregnant by her god who chooses her...an unwed virgin and betrothed to a man...to get pregnant with his offspring. There is no distortion.

Quoting prommy:

Quoting mehamil1:

I wish you Christians would grow a thicker skin. Surly your faith is strong enough to stand a bit of criticism. 

Quoting prommy:

In my book lies and distortions do not equal criticism.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM
9 moms liked this

Religion is nothing, if not contradictory.  Ignore these parts, abide by these parts.  This parts only for the Jews.  Be nice, treat others well, stone these people.  Thou shalt not kill, there is a time for killing.  And for me, especially the misogynistic nature towards woman.  You can be a pastor in this religion, not a priest in this one.

It made me realize that NO ONE interprets and reads the bible the same way.  Everyone thinks they know what is right and what is wrong.  The church says one thing, the bible says something, and everyone's actions are something completely different.

You couldn't pay me to walk into a catholic church after what they have done and covered up.  I also can only go with my gut.  My gut says that it is not ok to treat people as less than others.  Churches do that all the time.  Who is good, who is bad.  Who is going to hell, who isn't.  It's all about controlling the masses.  When you figure that out, you start to realize that you don't need to be controlled.  I realized I know innately to me what is right and wrong.  That steers me better than any of these man man institutions that have failed so many people.

Quoting jehosoba84:

Legit question: What were you taught in church that went against or did not reflect the Bible?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)