Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sarah, of the bible, has had no luck concieving with her half-brother/husband. She lays with a king and has a baby later that year....

Posted by   + Show Post
Reading the bible eventually made an atheist out of me. Nothing in the bible seemed to reflect what was taught to me in church. Anyone else feel the same?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Replies (21-30):
jehosoba84
by Jenn on May. 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Right...and this illegitimate child went on to preach the love and word of God, performed hundreds of miracles, including raising people from the dead and changing water into wine, controlling the weather, etc etc.  I know I know, THOSE are all a bunch of lies too.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't believe NO explanation is sufficient.

Quoting pansyprincess:

FYI, atheists don't believe in your god. So I'm not sure what your expectations are in reading this thread, but it's probably not going to end up with all of us being moved by this "incredible birth". I prefer to call it like it is, Mary got pregnant out of wedlock, and made up one hell of a story!
Quoting prommy:

Quoting coronado25:

You are not to call me a Christian basher. I am stating that the bible does not reflect what I was taught at church...or at home, for that matter by my CHristian parents. If you feel threatened by the subject matter of this post and have nothing but accusatory drivel that adds nothing to discussion then why bother to post?

Quoting prommy:

I wish you Christian bashers would find another damned hobby.

Maybe you should try to be more honest. God sent an angel who asked Mary if she would accept this gift. She wasn't sexually assaulted, she freely chose to carry God's son in her womb. Joseph loved Mary and when the angel visited him he too accepted this great gift. Your "title" makes this truly beautiful event sound sordid. If that's all you got from this incredible birth then good riddance.

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Did I just lecture you??  Do you even know what that means?  I have a belief system.  It just doesn't include a god.  I'm just letting you know that if you came in here with the intention of showing up how wonderful god is, and expecting to move us with his story of impregnating a "virgin", you are probably barking up the wrong tree. 

But feel free to continue to believe all you want.  No skin off my back.

Quoting prommy:

Quoting pansyprincess:

FYI, atheists don't believe in your god. So I'm not sure what your expectations are in reading this thread, but it's probably not going to end up with all of us being moved by this "incredible birth". I prefer to call it like it is, Mary got pregnant out of wedlock, and made up one hell of a story!
Quoting prommy:

Quoting coronado25:

You are not to call me a Christian basher. I am stating that the bible does not reflect what I was taught at church...or at home, for that matter by my CHristian parents. If you feel threatened by the subject matter of this post and have nothing but accusatory drivel that adds nothing to discussion then why bother to post?

Quoting prommy:

Maybe you should try to be more honest. God sent an angel who asked Mary if she would accept this gift. She wasn't sexually assaulted, she freely chose to carry God's son in her womb. Joseph loved Mary and when the angel visited him he too accepted this great gift. Your "title" makes this truly beautiful event sound sordid. If that's all you got from this incredible birth then good riddance.

Wow! I'm being lectured about my belief system from someone who doesn't have one! Funny! Very Funny!

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM
6 moms liked this

Not believing in the immaculate conception and questioning how all that went down is not a lie and not a distortion. It's criticism for what you believe. And if you are this butt hurt over it I question how strong you are in your belief of that particular miracle. 

Quoting prommy:
Quoting mehamil1:

I wish you Christians would grow a thicker skin. Surly your faith is strong enough to stand a bit of criticism. 

Quoting prommy:

In my book lies and distortions do not equal criticism.

coronado25
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM
And isnt it funny that he chose her cousin to carry John the Baptist? Although, he was not the father of John the baptist, it is such an amazing thing that both these women in the same family had two such holy children? this amazing coincidence was never discussed at church...when I began reading the bible as abook, these things really stood out.

Quoting prommy:

Quoting coronado25:

I feel that that makes it even worse that the deity chose not to speak to Mary directly. He sent a male angel who was very beautiful by biblical accounts. either way, the Christian god chose an unmarried woman, betrothed to another man to impregnate.

Quoting prommy:

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting prommy:

I was always taught that the Glory of God was too great for a person to behold. He sent an angel so that Mary wouldn't be so frightrened. He saw how wonderful a person she was and chose her to be the mother of his child, should she accept the role.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2Gs
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know how anyone can deny there is a God of some sort.  Look at rainbows, and fireflies...good music and supurb food.  Look at the kindess of the human spirit.   You have to have an IQ of zero to think there isn't a God.  Now why Jesus?  Becuase it's the best answer we have.  And I totally get how the Bible is confusing and frustrating.  Why is Jesus the best answer we have? Because it's the most likely true story out of all the rest of them.  Jesus appears in all other major religious doctorines.  Jews believe he existed.  Muslims believe he existed.  

So the question is -  Was he the son of God?   Why not?  Why is it so hard to believe?  I see free will as a gift.  So that explains evil.   Now where is the big hurdle?

It's called faith for a reason.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you in high school? 

Quoting prommy:
Quoting mehamil1:

She doesn't believe that. I don't either. What you think is a "gift" and a great story is to me a myth. It's a myth based on many other myths of a similar story line. Not uncommon at that place and time. 

If you can't handle someone criticizing your miracle I wonder how strong your faith is in that miracle. 

Quoting prommy:
Quoting coronado25:
Quoting prommy:

I wis you Christian bashers would find another damned hobby.

Right... you/she can say any ugly thing you want but if someone else has a different opinion it is not valid or acceptable. So when you did a post not too long ago that was nothing more than bullying someone else on CM that was OK. Now I get it, it's only acceptable if you say it.

enlightened_24
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM
2 moms liked this
I think the problem with the Bible is that is was taken literal. I think there are great lessons to be learned through the stories, but do I believe a virgin had a baby? no. A man rose from the dead? Zombies do not exist. A man walked on water and fed hundreds off one basket? Maybe if he was a wizard...Every animal on the planet fit into one boat? Nah. Too many delusions...
prommy
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Quoting coronado25:

How is this a distortion though? In the story, mary is pregnant by her god while she is betrothed to a man. Whether I believe or you believe in such things is besides the point if we look at the words of the story then it is true that mary who is already betrothed gets pregnant by her god who chooses her...an unwed virgin and betrothed to a man...to get pregnant with his offspring. There is no distortion.

Quoting prommy:

Quoting mehamil1:

I wish you Christians would grow a thicker skin. Surly your faith is strong enough to stand a bit of criticism. 

Quoting prommy:

In my book lies and distortions do not equal criticism.

The title has a extremely negative connotation. Whether you believe the events surrounding the birth of Jesus as true or not, many of us do view them as true and the title makes it look like poor little Virgin Mary was forced to do something..she was impregnated...not she accepted the offer to bear God's son.

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

You have hit the nail directly on the head.  All those "miracles" you listed, I don't believe that a single one of them happened.  You can't convince me that they did ... That's how I knew I was an atheist. 

And if you believe that without an explaination, well honestly, that baffles me.  Why the heck would someone believe that happened?  Because a random book says so? 

No one told you to read this thread.  You saw from the beginning the poster said "I'm an atheist.  anyone else feel like reading the bible made them one as well?"  so it was obviously directed at atheists.  Don't get me wrong, you can read whatever you want.  But if you can't handle someone believing differently from you, perhaps you should bow out gracefully, instead of digging your feet in and trying to convince people that the supernatural actually happened.  You are wasting your time and energy on us.

Quoting jehosoba84:

Right...and this illegitimate child went on to preach the love and word of God, performed hundreds of miracles, including raising people from the dead and changing water into wine, controlling the weather, etc etc.  I know I know, THOSE are all a bunch of lies too.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't believe NO explanation is sufficient.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Quoting prommy:

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting prommy:

prommy
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mehamil1:

Are you in high school? 

Quoting prommy:
Quoting mehamil1:

She doesn't believe that. I don't either. What you think is a "gift" and a great story is to me a myth. It's a myth based on many other myths of a similar story line. Not uncommon at that place and time. 

If you can't handle someone criticizing your miracle I wonder how strong your faith is in that miracle. 

Quoting prommy:
Quoting coronado25:
Quoting prommy:

I wis you Christian bashers would find another damned hobby.

Right... you/she can say any ugly thing you want but if someone else has a different opinion it is not valid or acceptable. So when you did a post not too long ago that was nothing more than bullying someone else on CM that was OK. Now I get it, it's only acceptable if you say it.

No. Are you a human?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN