Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sarah, of the bible, has had no luck concieving with her half-brother/husband. She lays with a king and has a baby later that year....

Posted by   + Show Post
Reading the bible eventually made an atheist out of me. Nothing in the bible seemed to reflect what was taught to me in church. Anyone else feel the same?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Replies (31-40):
2Gs
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:49 PM

you Christians?  That would really sound ugly if you were saying you Blacks or you homosexuals, but somehow it's ok if it's Christians.  Thanks for lumping us all in the same category.  . 

Quoting mehamil1:

I wish you Christians would grow a thicker skin. Surly your faith is strong enough to stand a bit of criticism. 

Quoting prommy:

I wish you Christian bashers would find another damned hobby.

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM
9 moms liked this

I guess that I have an IQ of zero because a rainbow doesn't make me believe in god.  Or perhaps YOU need to do a little research on how a rainbow occurs and you will see there is an explaination that isn't god.  But yeah ... *I* have an IQ of zero.  :headbang

Quoting 2Gs:

I don't know how anyone can deny there is a God of some sort.  Look at rainbows, and fireflies...good music and supurb food.  Look at the kindess of the human spirit.   You have to have an IQ of zero to think there isn't a God.  Now why Jesus?  Becuase it's the best answer we have.  And I totally get how the Bible is confusing and frustrating.  Why is Jesus the best answer we have? Because it's the most likely true story out of all the rest of them.  Jesus appears in all other major religious doctorines.  Jews believe he existed.  Muslims believe he existed.  

So the question is -  Was he the son of God?   Why not?  Why is it so hard to believe?  I see free will as a gift.  So that explains evil.   Now where is the big hurdle?

It's called faith for a reason.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM
3 moms liked this
Way to go. Insult the people who think differently than you. SMH

Quoting 2Gs:

I don't know how anyone can deny there is a God of some sort.  Look at rainbows, and fireflies...good music and supurb food.  Look at the kindess of the human spirit.   You have to have an IQ of zero to think there isn't a God.  Now why Jesus?  Becuase it's the best answer we have.  And I totally get how the Bible is confusing and frustrating.  Why is Jesus the best answer we have? Because it's the most likely true story out of all the rest of them.  Jesus appears in all other major religious doctorines.  Jews believe he existed.  Muslims believe he existed.  

So the question is -  Was he the son of God?   Why not?  Why is it so hard to believe?  I see free will as a gift.  So that explains evil.   Now where is the big hurdle?

jnich4
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Pansyprincess, have you ever seen the movie Saved? Your response made me think of that :)

Quoting pansyprincess:

FYI, atheists don't believe in your god. So I'm not sure what your expectations are in reading this thread, but it's probably not going to end up with all of us being moved by this "incredible birth". I prefer to call it like it is, Mary got pregnant out of wedlock, and made up one hell of a story!
Quoting prommy:

Quoting coronado25:

You are not to call me a Christian basher. I am stating that the bible does not reflect what I was taught at church...or at home, for that matter by my CHristian parents. If you feel threatened by the subject matter of this post and have nothing but accusatory drivel that adds nothing to discussion then why bother to post?

Quoting prommy:

Maybe you should try to be more honest. God sent an angel who asked Mary if she would accept this gift. She wasn't sexually assaulted, she freely chose to carry God's son in her womb. Joseph loved Mary and when the angel visited him he too accepted this great gift. Your "title" makes this truly beautiful event sound sordid. If that's all you got from this incredible birth then good riddance.

jehosoba84
by Jenn on May. 15, 2013 at 3:53 PM

You, also, are right. I'm not trying to convert anyone, or at least i don't think I am. I did take a bit of offense at the title of this post tho and wanted to add my 2 bits regarding that. (which I've already done via prommy's response below) So I'll leave y'all to your commiserating on the awfulness of the christian church : ) 

Quoting pansyprincess:

You have hit the nail directly on the head.  All those "miracles" you listed, I don't believe that a single one of them happened.  You can't convince me that they did ... That's how I knew I was an atheist. 

And if you believe that without an explaination, well honestly, that baffles me.  Why the heck would someone believe that happened?  Because a random book says so? 

No one told you to read this thread.  You saw from the beginning the poster said "I'm an atheist.  anyone else feel like reading the bible made them one as well?"  so it was obviously directed at atheists.  Don't get me wrong, you can read whatever you want.  But if you can't handle someone believing differently from you, perhaps you should bow out gracefully, instead of digging your feet in and trying to convince people that the supernatural actually happened.  You are wasting your time and energy on us.

Quoting jehosoba84:

Right...and this illegitimate child went on to preach the love and word of God, performed hundreds of miracles, including raising people from the dead and changing water into wine, controlling the weather, etc etc.  I know I know, THOSE are all a bunch of lies too.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't believe NO explanation is sufficient.

Maybe you should try to be more honest. God sent an angel who asked Mary if she would accept this gift. She wasn't sexually assaulted, she freely chose to carry God's son in her womb. Joseph loved Mary and when the angel visited him he too accepted this great gift. Your "title" makes this truly beautiful event sound sordid. If that's all you got from this incredible birth then good riddance.

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

How is that different from prommy saying "you Christian bashers"

But still, you need to grow a thicker skin if someone believing differently than you makes you get this freakin' nuts.

Quoting 2Gs:

you Christians?  That would really sound ugly if you were saying you Blacks or you homosexuals, but somehow it's ok if it's Christians.  Thanks for lumping us all in the same category.  . 

Quoting mehamil1:

I wish you Christians would grow a thicker skin. Surly your faith is strong enough to stand a bit of criticism. 

Quoting prommy:

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:54 PM

hahaa ... Yes, I have.  Actually one of my agnostic friends actually attended the school that that movie was based on!

Quoting jnich4:

Pansyprincess, have you ever seen the movie Saved? Your response made me think of that :)

Quoting pansyprincess:

FYI, atheists don't believe in your god. So I'm not sure what your expectations are in reading this thread, but it's probably not going to end up with all of us being moved by this "incredible birth". I prefer to call it like it is, Mary got pregnant out of wedlock, and made up one hell of a story!
Quoting prommy:

Quoting coronado25:

You are not to call me a Christian basher. I am stating that the bible does not reflect what I was taught at church...or at home, for that matter by my CHristian parents. If you feel threatened by the subject matter of this post and have nothing but accusatory drivel that adds nothing to discussion then why bother to post?

Quoting prommy:

prommy
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Quoting Peanutx3:

Quoting 2Gs:

You mean like how the atheists are insulting the Christians?

coronado25
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Take th story of david and goliath for example. We are taught and given passages to read that David killed Goliath and saved his nation and he did it for the glory of his god and that he was very brave for his god. When you read the entire story in he bible you read that David was jealous that others got to fight where he must stay and tend sheep. You read that he heard about the reward of great riches and a princess and fame for your family name by ordr of the king if you kill goliath. It was that which the bible says, motivated David to leave his flock unattended on the hill and race to the frontline of battle requesting an oppurtunity to kill the giant...and the reason for the war to begin with?? Because the Goliath and his people did not believe in David's god. This story is the complete opposite of the values I was taught to hold dear and the Sunday school version omits nearly all the pertinent facts of the story.

Quoting jehosoba84:

Legit question: What were you taught in church that went against or did not reflect the Bible?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:56 PM
4 moms liked this
Such a childish response. Just because someone else did it doesn't mean it is right. Just once I wish people one both sides of this debate would take the higher road and not insult others.

Quoting prommy:

Quoting Peanutx3:

Quoting 2Gs:

You mean like how the atheists are insulting the Christians?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN