Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sarah, of the bible, has had no luck concieving with her half-brother/husband. She lays with a king and has a baby later that year....

Posted by   + Show Post
Reading the bible eventually made an atheist out of me. Nothing in the bible seemed to reflect what was taught to me in church. Anyone else feel the same?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Replies (431-435):
Diane1223
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 1:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Things in the Bible are parables, that are supposed to be used as examples. They are not to be taken word for word, or literal translation. I am Catholic and Catholicism is based more on oral tradition, but we do use the readings from the Bible, and follow the teachings from the Bible.
coronado25
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2013 at 2:02 AM
During the brief time I spent as a Catholic (I converted from a protestant faith to marry my second husband...funny though, I was baptised Catholic as an infant) I couldnt swallow (forgive the pun!) the culture of oral tradition without alot of doubt as to the integrity of any piece of information that is passed on by word of mouth for a millenium. However, I really loved the idea of it and for awhile it struck me as more romantic and richer--like a tapestry of faith and tradition as compared to a duller less textured version that I then saw my previous faith as.

Quoting Diane1223:

Things in the Bible are parables, that are supposed to be used as examples. They are not to be taken word for word, or literal translation. I am Catholic and Catholicism is based more on oral tradition, but we do use the readings from the Bible, and follow the teachings from the Bible.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coronado25
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Thank you for your response and participation.  I guess you are right...it does not say, at least in this translation, that they shared a bed.  

But Sarah would've at least been in the palace long enough to make it obvious that the King was not sleeping with his other wives because the last verse claims that the god had closed their wombs....So at least 6 weeks, I'd say would be a fair judgment of the length of time Sarah spent in Abimelech's palace.

If she was not in the palace for the pleasure of the King, why was she there? 

You see, because I do not believe that any god/s exist, I don't believe it when the characters in the bible say "god spoke" to them.  I look at the actions of the people in the story. They may attribute god as the reason for their human behaviors in the bible, but to me, that is all it is...an explanation of their own actions.

We have a woman who was barren....this may be due to her trying to concieve with a half brother.  

We have the half brother, Abe who clearly loves her...even though this is back in a day when women were not valued as they are now and could be traded like property...We know Abe wants Sarah to be able to have a baby of her own. 

Seems to me, she was a good looking woman in her late 40's and post menapausal (I don't think the ages of people in the old testament were accurately translated). She would indeed laugh at the idea that she could still become pregnant...although we do know that this happens now and again even today.  

Abimelech may not have lay with her, but she was a woman on her own kept in a palace away from her husband, she wanted a baby and the men there though she was single.  I think she must've been there for at least long enough for someone to notice that the wives of the king had not missed any of their periods. They probably all cycled together, so say 5 or 6 weeks?

...So what was the king doing?  and who? Was he really only laying with his wives and the god in the bible was sealing up his wives so that they could not bear children?  And if Abimelech had not yet touched Sarah, why was the god preventing Abimelech's wives from concieving?  

I know that this is a god that you believe exists and that this story has significant meaning in your faith.

I am not really directing any of these questions at you.  I am just showing how my own line of thought travels when I read the bible.  

I totally respect your feeling that what is written in the bible is sacred and am not attempting to desicrate it by expressing my view of this story, or any othersthere within.  

Quoting micheledo:

Genesis 20

20 Now Abraham moved on from thereB)" style=""> into the region of the NegevC)" style=""> and lived between KadeshD)" style=""> and Shur.E)" style=""> For a whileF)" style=""> he stayed in Gerar,G)" style=""> and there Abraham said of his wife Sarah, “She is my sister.H)" style="">” Then AbimelekI)" style=""> king of Gerar sent for Sarah and took her.J)" style="">

But God came to AbimelekK)" style=""> in a dreamL)" style=""> one night and said to him, “You are as good as deadM)" style=""> because of the woman you have taken; she is a married woman.”N)" style="">

Now Abimelek had not gone near her, so he said, “Lord, will you destroy an innocent nation?O)" style=""> Did he not say to me, ‘She is my sister,P)" style="">’ and didn’t she also say, ‘He is my brother’? I have done this with a clear conscienceQ)" style=""> and clean hands.R)" style="">

Then God said to him in the dream, “Yes, I know you did this with a clear conscience, and so I have keptS)" style=""> you from sinning against me.T)" style=""> That is why I did not let you touch her. Now return the man’s wife, for he is a prophet,U)" style=""> and he will pray for youV)" style=""> and you will live. But if you do not return her, you may be sure that you and all who belong to you will die.”W)" style="">

Early the next morning Abimelek summoned all his officials, and when he told them all that had happened, they were very much afraid. Then Abimelek called Abraham in and said, “What have you done to us? How have I wronged you that you have brought such great guilt upon me and my kingdom? You have done things to me that should never be done.X)" style=""> 10 And Abimelek asked Abraham, “What was your reason for doing this?”

11 Abraham replied, “I said to myself, ‘There is surely no fear of GodY)" style=""> in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife.’Z)" style=""> 12 Besides, she really is my sister,AA)" style=""> the daughter of my father though not of my mother; and she became my wife.13 And when God had me wanderAB)" style=""> from my father’s household,AC)" style=""> I said to her, ‘This is how you can show your love to me: Everywhere we go, say of me, “He is my brother.”’”

14 Then AbimelekAD)" style=""> brought sheep and cattle and male and female slaves and gave them to Abraham,AE)" style=""> and he returned Sarah his wife to him. 15 And Abimelek said, “My land is before you; live wherever you like.”AF)" style="">

16 To Sarah he said, “I am giving your brother a thousand shekelsa]" style="">[a] of silver. This is to cover the offense against you before all who are with you; you are completely vindicated.”

17 Then Abraham prayed to God,AG)" style=""> and God healed Abimelek, his wife and his female slaves so they could have children again, 18 for the Lord had kept all the women in Abimelek’s household from conceiving because of Abraham’s wife Sarah

and Genesis 21

21 Now the Lord was gracious to SarahA)" style=""> as he had said, and the Lord did for Sarah what he had promised.B)" style=""> Sarah became pregnant and bore a sonC)" style=""> to Abraham in his old age,D)" style=""> at the very time God had promised him.E)" style=""> Abraham gave the name Isaaca]" style="">[a]F)" style=""> to the son Sarah bore him. When his son Isaac was eight days old, Abraham circumcised him,G)" style=""> as God commanded him. Abraham was a hundred years oldH)" style=""> when his son Isaac was born to him.

Sarah said, “God has brought me laughter,I)" style=""> and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me.” And she added, “Who would have said to Abraham that Sarah would nurse children? Yet I have borne him a son in his old age.”

There is no indication that she had Isaac the same year.  It is entirely possible, but time frame isn't given.  So my issue isn't with that part so much.  We really don't know how much time passed.

BUT, Genesis 20:4 clearly states that the king had not yet gone near Sarah.  

Again - I have no issue with people not believing it.  Just find it funny when people don't know what it is they don't believe.  :)

The cure for anything is saltwater.

doomshroom
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM
maybe for the same reasons you make posts bashing liberals.

why is respect so important ONLY when it comes to religious beliefs?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Poodles- I reread the OP several times and maybe I am missing something but how is her not believing in the Bible bashing?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting coronado25:

You are not to call me a Christian basher. I am stating that the bible does not reflect what I was taught at church...or at home, for that matter by my CHristian parents. If you feel threatened by the subject matter of this post and have nothing but accusatory drivel that adds nothing to discussion then why bother to post?

Quoting prommy:

I wish you Christian bashers would find another damned hobby.

OP, why post something like this if you know Christians are going to feel bashed?

These kinds of posts always bring scoffing, laughing and bullying towards a certain group of people.  And Christians are the ONLY group of people that this CAN be done to without being called some sort of bigot. 

When with this become "politically incorrect"? 

Talk about your "homophobia"-- you are a Christophobe.  And I am calling YOU a bigot. 

All of you that rant against the "stupidity" of Christians.  You are bigots. 

The replies that follow such posts are usually quite negative towards Christians.  It's bashing.  There are a few women in here that LOVE to post things they know are going to upset religious people. 

Why do it? 

HardRockKim
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM

YOU dont sound like YOU know what TRUTH is. How will you take responsibility for anyone turning away from catholicism? leave?

Kimberly-Christian

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I am here to tell he truth about our faith.

I am not here to convince any one to convert.

I will not take reponsibility for turning any one away from Catholicism, either.

Too many of you want the Catholic Church to suit YOU, and your beliefs:  Abortion, Gay Marriage, women priests, ect.

Many of you will be waiting until hell freezes over until the Church changes for YOU.

Veronica-Roman Catholic 

Quoting HardRockKim:

No,its you giving a distorted picture. You constantly judge and criticize almost everyone on here. Calling moms a heathen or not a real catholic. Who are you to make that judgement call?Being a cradle catholic doesnt mean jack shit to me.I can see how you would turn one from catholicisim.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Our God is a very loving God.

He does, however, give us guidelines to follow. which is His Holy Word: the Bible.

Now following through, are you criticizing God's Holy Word? For this is what I quote verbatim.

Anything else I quote or refer to comes from the Vatican of Rome, the Catechism or the Magisterium of Rome.

I believe you have met too many Catholics that do not know God's Holy Word and rearrange the Catechism to suit themselves....

Those are the ones that are giving you a very distorted picture of Catholics.  

Veronica

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)