Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What is the difference between bashing and criticising?

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 3:44 PM
  • 63 Replies

In another post, the OP is getting accused of bashing Christians because she stated why she became an Atheist and it had to do with a specific story in the Bible.

Tell me, why is that considered bashing and not criticising and what IS the difference if any?

by on May. 15, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:49 PM

It's fine line between the two but I think that line is crossed when it gets personal. Once it gets personal, it turns into bashing. But then again, you have to define "personal." It's all pretty subjective crap. Speaking personally, when an individual expresses the feeling of being "bashed" and requests the behavior stop and the other does not, then you kinda know- it's gotten personal-hence "bashing."

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM
5 moms liked this
I think its bashing when they give you crap like saying you believe in make believe man in the sky. When they mock the faith. Telling someone they are wrong and stupid for their beliefs.
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Curious OP- were you accused of bashing or criticizing?

stormcris
by Christy on May. 15, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

It is the perception of the person taking offense. Nothing is bashing until a person takes the position as an offense against them. 

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

From what I've seen on here there is no difference. Of course in theory there is a difference but not on cm.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on May. 15, 2013 at 3:56 PM
I can agree with this.

Quoting stormcris:

It is the perception of the person taking offense. Nothing is bashing until a person takes the position as an offense against them. 

jllcali
by Jane on May. 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM
7 moms liked this
To some people, anything other than unconditional agreement of their position (whether it be religious or anything else one can have an opinion on) is bashing or picking on them. If you are honestly not trying to bash, don't worry too much. There are whiners everywhere.
MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Personally, I don't mind when someone says, basically "here's why you're wrong." That's criticism, and it's fine. 

When it crosses the line is when someone essentially says "you're wrong and so you must be stupid." (happens a lot on political threads)   

Chritians often feel bashed by atheists because atheists have a tendancy to imply that Christians are stupid for believing in something. Even when an atheist is simply saying why they don't believe, there's an inference there that only someone stupid would believe.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the difference lies in the eye of the beholder.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this
For some it is when anyone disagrees with them. I see it more from Christians. They will cry persecution if you do not fully agree with them. Not all Christians on here do this but there are more than a few.

Only 2x on here did I find the line crossed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)