Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you really believe in the Bible?

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 5:24 PM
  • 127 Replies
3 moms liked this
I have to admit that I am a bit amazed that people take the Bible so literal. Do people truly believe in the stories?? I always took the Bible as a guide and the stories as a way of giving examples of how to live. Kind of like a how to book of how to be a good person. I have always been amazed people take the stories in the Bible as fact. Adam and Eve? Turning into salt or sand?
by on May. 15, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katy_kay08
by on May. 15, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

no, I don't believe in the stories in the Bible.  

romalove
by Roma on May. 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM
6 moms liked this

I believe there are some historical things in the Bible.  They are compiled stories.

I think much of it is made up, and all of it comes from man and not from God.

Talee
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I do believe in them however not all of it literally. I think there are holes in the bible, books left out (which I would love to read someday). I also have a very open mind about things too though....even to the point of wondering if God might look more apelike and that we have evolved. (yeah dont laugh or gasp folks, like I said i keep an open mind) I dig science and biology and cannot discount some of those things based on a literal interpretation of the bible (which is how i was raised). 

NWP
by guerrilla girl on May. 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I believe that the bible has a basis in reality, that stories, passed down orally through generations change. The bible itself has changed many times. I don't take it literally.

IandLoveandYou
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't, but I agree.

I am amazed not only that people do.. But often surprised by the people who do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 5:49 PM
If you do not mind answering, what are some of the things you take literally from the Bible?

Quoting Talee:

I do believe in them however not all of it literally. I think there are holes in the bible, books left out (which I would love to read someday). I also have a very open mind about things too though....even to the point of wondering if God might look more apelike and that we have evolved. (yeah dont laugh or gasp folks, like I said i keep an open mind) I dig science and biology and cannot discount some of those things based on a literal interpretation of the bible (which is how i was raised). 

smartin27284
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I believe in the Bible.

SLTmom
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Jesus spoke in parables.  Why would the other stories not be of a similar vein?

Lizardannie1966
by on May. 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM
5 moms liked this

I believe the Bible is symbolic and meant to be metaphoric versus taken literally.

However, I believe and respect that many people do take the Bible literally and it brings them comfort and I would never dream of belittling them or making them feel inferior for doing so.

They are within their right to believe as they so choose.

inspain
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM
7 moms liked this

Not one word of it.  Badly written fiction.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN