Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Diaper Change at Starbucks Leads to Police Call

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 7:40 PM
  • 98 Replies

When there's no changing table and your baby needs a clean diaper, what is a parent to do? That's the question that faced Denver parents Ruth and Alex Burgos at a local Starbucks last Friday night.

During a coffee run to a Starbucks on E. 49th Ave. Friday night, the Burgos' one-year-old son Thiago needed a diaper change. Ruth Burgos ran her son into the restroom only to find there was not a changing table there so she decided to change Thiago's diaper in the seating area instead.

"As a mother, you have to do what you have to do. Wherever you have to do it," Ruth told 9News. "I just kind of wiped him off, cleaned him off as quickly as I could."

But Ruth's husband Alex says that a Starbucks employee tossed a rag to his wife, spoke to her rudely and then proceeded to laugh about the situation with other Starbucks employees, Fox News reports.

That's when Alex's temper boiled over like his hot Venti coffee which he decided to pour on the floor, telling the employees, "You better clean that," according to USA Today.

Alex and the coffee shop employees reportedly exchanged some strong words when a Starbucks employee called the Denver Police to report a "disturbance."

No one was arrested and in a statement Starbucks spokesperson Jamie Riley said that the company was "concerned" and has "apologized to the Burgos family" adding that Starbucks wants all customers to be treated with "dignity and respect."

Although Starbucks did apologize, the reaction to the incident has been mixed with many negative social media posts directed toward the store but also toward the parents, as Westwood reports.

What do you think? Were the parents out of line to change their baby's diaper in the seating area or did the Starbucks employees take it too far? Let us know in the comments below.

by on May. 15, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on May. 15, 2013 at 7:47 PM
2 moms liked this

The employees were out of line but I wonder if they realize there are probably people sitting in those seats with no underwear on.

I really do not think the diaper changing was a big issue.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on May. 15, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting stormcris:

The employees were out of line but I wonder if they realize there are probably people sitting in those seats with no underwear on.

I really do not think the diaper changing was a big issue.

By sitting area, I assume they mean where people sit and drink and eat. I must admit that that really grosses me out. I'm not sure where else they could have changed the baby though since there wasn't a changing table in the bathroom.

Sounds to me like Starbucks may want to rethink adding changing tables.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Well, it is gross to change a diaper in the eating area.

I don't think most things warrant arguing and fighting. Maybe the manager should be making a spot. I know alot of Moms who 'hang out' at Starbucks with their tots.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 15, 2013 at 8:20 PM
12 moms liked this
Did they not drive to Starbucks? Change him in the car, not where people eat. Starbucks is also to blame for not having a changing station.
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on May. 15, 2013 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting EireLass:

Well, it is gross to change a diaper in the eating area.

I don't think most things warrant arguing and fighting. Maybe the manager should be making a spot. I know alot of Moms who 'hang out' at Starbucks with their tots.

I agree. This definitely shouldn't have caused an argument.  I'm assuming the employees were young and definitely could have handled the situation better, but that father should not have dumped his coffee on the floor purposefully.  I know if some punk kid threw a rag at me while I was changing my child My husband would have had words with him. He wouldn't have dumped coffee out, but everyone in that facility would have known how rude the employee was.  

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on May. 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LauraKW:

Did they not drive to Starbucks? Change him in the car, not where people eat. Starbucks is also to blame for not having a changing station.

Agree. I also think their employees were rude to the wife and the husband was a JA for dumping his coffee on the floor.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Agree. Starbucks will probably pay these people a lot to turn this into good press. An initiative to make their stores more family-friendly thanks to this couple blah blah blah.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting LauraKW:

Agree. I also think their employees were rude to the wife and the husband was a JA for dumping his coffee on the floor.

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM
3 moms liked this

I would not want to be drinking coffee and smelling poop. I would not want to be drinking coffee and looking at a baby's rear end no matter how cute the baby is. That's a bio hazard they were handling in an area people consume food. I vote no.

thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Both were wrong. Go out to your car to change your baby, don't do it in an area that people consume food and drink. But the employees handled it very poorly as well, they should have told them politely they couldn't change the baby there, not acted as they did.

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM

The employees were absolutely rude, and I don't blame the parents for not wanting to change their child on the bathroom floor.  But I hope they laid a changing pad down and didn't do iti right on the seat!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN