Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My CE today.. Did you know that ..

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM
  • 33 Replies

I home school my son through a virtual charter school, K12.  Today I had to meet with "team" at our local public elementary school for his IEP. 

I was told today that after 6 years old, they don't have autism any more.  My guy is 6, so anyday now his autism behaviors should just magically go away.  I was speechless for a few minutes, and when I regained my thoughts, just had to ask when it was going to go away. At six and a half?  A month before his seventh birthday?  The day before his sixth birthday? 

I never got an answer. These are people who supposedly know about and educate kids. 

I did get extra time for him during standardized testing though, which is all I wanted.

by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 15, 2013 at 8:49 PM
What the what? Tell them they need to re-evaluate him. Send a copy by certified mail to the counselor in charge of his IEP and another certified copy to the principal and a third to the superintendent. Let us know if you get any response, there is more you can do.

On a side note, my oldest has been doing K12 this year. It's a great program. He also gets extra time for his testing but he didn't need it, thankfully.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 15, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Did they differentiate if this applied only in the state of FL or in other states too?

rfurlongg
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Say what? Were these administrators or special ed teachers? What were their qualifications?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
desertlvn
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I'm sorry your local district is so out of touch. I don't know anyone who would think such a thing. That is just plain crazy.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 15, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Did they state that there would be a different diagnosis as it applied to school? It seems they have to find now in order to get the extra help that there is an emotional or behavioral interference.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:57 PM

That sounds very strange.  Do they mean that they have to have an official dx at this point, from a develpmental pediatrician, etc., rather than a working dx?  

I would talk to them again, get them to clarify their position in writing, and look for an advocate.  Advocates can be expensive, but in my personal experience, they are worth every penny.  

tooptimistic
by Kelly on May. 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM

We did K12 this year too, and for the most part liked it a lot.

At our OT's office, they have an advocate, that I am going to call tomorrow.

I hope we don't need the extra time either, but its now there if he needs it.

Quoting LauraKW:

What the what? Tell them they need to re-evaluate him. Send a copy by certified mail to the counselor in charge of his IEP and another certified copy to the principal and a third to the superintendent. Let us know if you get any response, there is more you can do.

On a side note, my oldest has been doing K12 this year. It's a great program. He also gets extra time for his testing but he didn't need it, thankfully.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on May. 15, 2013 at 8:59 PM

We have a dx from a development pedi, and all of this therapy notes.

I am hoping the staff is different next year.  We are so lucky that there is an advocate at our OTs office.

Quoting momtoscott:

That sounds very strange.  Do they mean that they have to have an official dx at this point, from a develpmental pediatrician, etc., rather than a working dx?  

I would talk to them again, get them to clarify their position in writing, and look for an advocate.  Advocates can be expensive, but in my personal experience, they are worth every penny.  

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:59 PM
????? That's ridiculous! My daughter has an IEP and the ladies that take care of her paperwork are great and would never say anything so stupid! She doesn't have autism, but has a diagnosis.
Did You know that you can get an advocate to go with you to those meetings? At least in the state I live in!
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 15, 2013 at 9:03 PM
What state are you in? Glad you have such easy access to an advocate. That can be key.

Quoting tooptimistic:

We did K12 this year too, and for the most part liked it a lot.

At our OT's office, they have an advocate, that I am going to call tomorrow.

I hope we don't need the extra time either, but its now there if he needs it.

Quoting LauraKW:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN