Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Heart of Texas Rocked by tornadoes...

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 2:38 AM
  • 29 Replies

My hometown was hit hard just a few miles from where I sit. 6 confirmed dead 14 still missing 100s injured. The area was filled with some of the counties less fortunate. Habitat for humanities homes all destroyed. Please keep these families in your thoughts. 110 homes are in the division the majority are destroyed.

by on May. 16, 2013 at 2:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on May. 16, 2013 at 2:43 AM
1 mom liked this

not good... healing thoughts to the families and I hope the ones missing are found

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 2:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I live in Temple (Bell County) this storm is crazy wicked. Hugs to the families affected by the loss of loved ones and homes
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 2:50 AM

At least six dead in Hood County tornadoes

Posted on May 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Updated today at 1:43 AM

GRANBURY (AP) — At least six people were killed Wednesday as a spring tornado outbreak devastated parts of North Texas, destroying or damaging dozens of homes and injuring dozens of people.

The worst-hit city Wednesday was Granbury, where authorities say a deadly tornado tore through two neighborhoods about 8 p.m. Hood County Sheriff Roger Deeds delivered the death toll at a midnight news conference.

"Some were found in houses. Some were found around houses," Deeds said. He also said the total could climb as crews pick through the rubble of shattered homes.

About 50 people were taken to a Granbury hospital, where 14 were admitted for treatment of injuries and two were transferred to a hospital in Fort Worth, about 35 miles to the northeast, Deeds said.

As many as 100 people were injured, said Matt Zavadsky, spokesman for MedStar Mobile Healthcare. His company sent three ambulances and a medical bus from its Fort Worth base to Granbury.

Deeds said officials were trying to account for 14 people, but it was not clear if they were missing or were away from the area for other reasons.

Hardest hit were two neighborhoods, Rancho Brazos Estates and DeCordova Ranch, in the southern end of the town of about 8,000 residents about 65 miles southwest of Dallas.

Ambulances from as far away as Fort Worth were being called to Granbury, said Tye Bell, Richland Hills police spokesman who was heading to Granbury on Wednesday night.

Rancho Brazos Estates resident Elizabeth Tovar said she rode out the tornado with her husband and sister as she clutched her 9-month-old daughter.

"We heard the winds whipping and glass smashing everywhere," said Tovar, 25. "I felt like a long time and when things died down I looked up and saw that the roof was gone."

Another resident of that neighborhood, Allacia Jenny, said she witnessed devastation in her neighborhood.

"The house across from mine looked like it was destroyed," said Jenny, 22.

Toppled large trees litter her yard, and "I saw power lines all over the place," she said.

At Stumpy's Lakeside Grill in Lake Granbury, the storm took diners and workers by surprise. Some people rushed inside from the patio and ducked under tables as the wind gusts and hail started, but nobody was injured, said Eric Martinez, a cook. Then they looked across the lake and saw several homeowners' boat docks "just get torn apart," he said.

"The boat docks just flew off, and they're actually gone," Martinez said, adding that the boards and other debris landed in some yards.

The same storm spawned another tornado that storm spotters told the National Weather Service was a mile wide. That twister tore through the southwestern quadrant of Cleburne, a courthouse city of about 30,000 about 25 miles southeast of Granbury.

There were no reports of deaths in that storm, Cleburne Mayor Scott Cain said, "but we do have the potential for some injuries." He had no estimates.

Cain had no estimate on the number of homes damaged, but he said he expected the number to soar into the dozens based on his inspection of damage ranging from roof damage to total destruction.

Downtown Ennis was hit by a tornado around 12:10 a.m. Thursday, causing significant damage, the city manager told News 8.

Another tornado hit the small town of Millsap, about 40 miles west of Fort Worth. Parker County Judge Mark Kelley said roof damage was reported to several houses and a barn was destroyed, but no injuries were reported.

Hail as large as grapefruit also pelted the area around Mineral Wells on Wednesday evening. A police dispatcher reported only minor damage.

———

Associated Press writer John L. Mone reported from Granbury; Terry Wallace reported from Dallas; Angela K. Brown and Jamie Stengle in Dallas also contributed.

WFAA.com maintained a minute-by-minute blog as powerful storms swept across North Texas:

12:55 Granbury Medical Center spokeswoman Dixie Lee Hedgecock said more than 40 tornado victims were brought to the facility with injuries ranging from minor abrasions to serious contusions and abrasions. Some patients have been released; others continue to be evaluated, but only one has been admitted. Anyone seeking information about patients at the hospital can call this number: 817-579-2888. - WFAA

12:53a The tornado watch for all of North Texas has now been canceled. -National Weather Service

12:31a A phone bank has been established for relatives seeking information about the victims of the tornadoes in Hood County. Call 682-498-8010. - Monika Diaz reporting from Granbury

12:30a All tornado warnings have now been canceled. - National Weather Service

12:23a Tree and roof damage is reported in downtown Ennis in Ellis County as a dangerous storm associated with a tornado warning is moving to the west toward Mabank. - Chief Meteorologist Pete Delkus

12:18a We're walking through a residence near Cleburne that had its roof ripped off as a violent storm passed. Darrin Vasquez said it was "loud and very violent" as the storm created a "vacuum" that appeared to be lifting everything up. "Thank God we're all right. We all said our prayers," Vasquez said. He used a mattress to shield his family from debris in a bathroom of their home. - Jason Whitely reporting from Cleburne

12:16a A new tornado warning has been issued for east-central Ellis County, south-central Kaufman County and north-central Navarro County until 12:45 a.m. - National Weather Service

12:10a Hood County Sheriff Roger Deeds confirms six dead in at least three tornadoes that hit his county near Granbury. "That could climb higher as the night goes on," he said, adding that the hardest-hit area is the Rancho Brazos subdivision, with the damage concentrated along Davis Road between Acton Highway and Rhea Road. He said 14 people were unaccounted for. "Pray for Granbury," he said. - Monika Diaz reporting from Granbury

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on May. 16, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Quoting mmtosam06:

I live in Temple (Bell County) this storm is crazy wicked. Hugs to the families affected by the loss of loved ones and homes

Hello neighbor.. I live on Ft Hood

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 3:15 AM
Hello right back.

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting mmtosam06:

Hello neighbor.. I live on Ft Hood

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM

so much damage 

talia-mom
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 2:09 PM
I am glad your family is okay. A friend lost his whole house.
Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Wow! That is some large hail!

armywifey1983
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Dhs mom, step dad and little sister live in Frisco, a little northeast of the damage. Its scary to know how close they were to all this. I'm sending healing thoughts to everyone affected by the storms yesterday.
Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know if you have heard, but 7 of the missing have been accounted for and are safe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN