Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Photos of Soldiers Faces Before and After War

Posted by   + Show Post

Mesmerizing Photographs Of Soldiers' Faces Before And After A War

Rollie WilliamsMore from Rollie »  

While the emotional repercussions of war aren't easy to measure, the before, during, and after pictures of soldiers who have seen combat tell a pretty unsettling story. There's something mesmerizing about these photographs, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Full disclosure: I had to resize these to get them to fit on the page. I didn't intend to distort porportions so if they look weird in that way blame me, not the photographer.

http://www.upworthy.com/mesmerizing-photographs-of-soldiers-faces-before-and-after-a-war?c=upw1

by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Replies (21-30):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM

So, I went to the site to look at the photos.  They really are not that much different that the re-sized ones posted here.

Of course most are going to look leaner and such after.  

I really am not seeing such a huge difference, outside of that.  Granted, for some...........not all, the differences are within where one cannot really 'see' them.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on May. 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM

my husband has changed a lot as well and it is so hard to watch

Ziva65
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM

That's wat I see, that, aged, and some skin sun damage. A few have developed a receding hair line as well.

Quoting beethann:

I just see men who look like they have lost weight or shaped up. 

Except the first man...he looks rough.

usmc0351wife
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:23 AM

War causes a lot of stress on the body and mind. My husband has been deployed 5 times and he suffers from gray hair, grunts and moans when he moves and has aching joints and limbs. Mind you he is 28. His first deployment in 2004, he came home so skinny because they didn't have a lot to eat and nutrition available to them while out on patrol. As the years have went by the deployments get alittle more bearable in terms of nutrition and food available to them on patrols and at FOBs. No one comes back from war the same and that is what science and psychologists are trying to figure out how to help them as majority of the wounds are not seen.  As far as the physical features it just lookalike they are stressed but relieved to be home. 

jllcali
by Jane on May. 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Constricted pupils are a symptom of sympathetic nervous system stimulation, otherwise known as "fight or flight".

Quoting Talee:

I dunno if you girls can tell but in the during photos their pupils are more narrow...in the before and after more dilated. Maybe because they are home then.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM
I honestly can't see a difference either. I opened this expecting something drastic.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

They look older and in shape but honestly I don't see a big difference...

Most of their "during" pictures have the same expression but I have those pics of my husband as well...

Hubby came home from his second deployment leaner & with some grey hair. War ages you but that's not surprising...
Tatiana7
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Bless their hearts, I wanna "fix" them all.

It's haunting.  I see the face pulling downward from stress.  The eyes are larger but more protected by the eyebrows.

AromaDrops33
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM
The eyes change for sure, they have to be alert with hardly any sleep for 9-12 months.
My DH got back from his 3rd deployment last December and he's changed a little. When they are over there and they have off time they work out a lot, I noticed my DH looking a lot leaner in photos.
Talee
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Quoting jllcali:

Constricted pupils are a symptom of sympathetic nervous system stimulation, otherwise known as "fight or flight".

Quoting Talee:

I dunno if you girls can tell but in the during photos their pupils are more narrow...in the before and after more dilated. Maybe because they are home then.

Hehe thanks. I forget the technical words...

Jen #1238904688930684906

lga1965
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM
I didn't say that about ALL military. But we knew too many POW's and army men who were in Vietnam who lost it.
Was your hubby a POW or did he nearly get killed while in action ?
Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I'll be honest, Your reply just makes me angry...

My husband has not lost his heart or soul as you imply. He also has not lost his humanity. To make such an assumption about so many people is just ignorant. Are some affected more by war than others? Absolutely. But that does NOT mean they lost their heart, soul, or humanity.

Quoting lga1965:

I don't think war is good for anyone's soul or humanity. Who would be happy about causing death and destruction to people who probably have nothing to do with the politics involved. They won't recover from that. They certainly don't "look more alive". In better shape...physically ,maybe,but what about their minds ?

War sucks. If I had received a draft notice in the 1960's and could have been sent to Southeast Asia, I would have gone to Canada. It was not a legitimate war. War kills heart and soul. We knew Air Force flyers who never recovered. Physically they looked fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)