Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Photos of Soldiers Faces Before and After War

Posted by   + Show Post

Mesmerizing Photographs Of Soldiers' Faces Before And After A War

Rollie WilliamsMore from Rollie »  

While the emotional repercussions of war aren't easy to measure, the before, during, and after pictures of soldiers who have seen combat tell a pretty unsettling story. There's something mesmerizing about these photographs, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Full disclosure: I had to resize these to get them to fit on the page. I didn't intend to distort porportions so if they look weird in that way blame me, not the photographer.

http://www.upworthy.com/mesmerizing-photographs-of-soldiers-faces-before-and-after-a-war?c=upw1

by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Replies (41-50):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM
You're not gonna like my answer but its probably because most women don't see the brunt of combat...

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

Why no pictures of women before during and after?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lady-J-Rock
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Um if you say so.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

You're not gonna like my answer but its probably because most women don't see the brunt of combat...

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Heaven only knows what those eyes have seen.  All of them have a bit of a haunted look and the young looking guys now look like men.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM
I realize that women see combat.
So don't take it that way...

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

Um if you say so.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:36 PM

That is haunting.  My nephew has changed so much. He has ptsd and is now home, but he is not the carefree kid he used to be. His eyes are haunted by whatever images he has seen.  He doesn't say it, but you can see it.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Ignore her.  SHE is the soulless, heartless one to speak with such dripping disdain about our military men and women.  My father was in two tours in Vietnam, saw many of his men, some close friends, get killed.  He now reaches out to help his surviving brothers who struggle with PTSD which, contrary to little Miss Idealogue's bullshit, does NOT make them soulless or heartless.  Lost, maybe, in some cases but not gone.   Your husband and your father are both heroes.  You know it, I know it, anybody who treasures the freedoms we enjoy in this country know it. 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Of course I take it personally.

My husband has been IN battle. He has lost friends (4 right in front of him when they opened a rigged door). He has been shot at and has shot at others...

I am tired of people like you who make these men out to be heartless soulless monsters. I am tired of people hearing my husband is a Marine and automatically assuming he has no conscience and is devoid of emotion. I am tired of people stating that serving in the military means you like to kill people and you must have no humanity. So yes I take it VERY personally.
Quoting lga1965:

PTSD....it exists. I think you are taking this too personally. I am discussing what happens to men IN battle, almost being shot out of the sky as my Dh was over North Vietnam. Or having a friend in a bunker in Saigon killed right next to you, as happened to my brother. The POW's are permanently damaged.
Some lose heart and soul.
So your hubby didn't. I am very happy for you both.
Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

First of all, Vietnam is a MUCH different war than today's wars.

My father is a Vietnam Vet and he doesn't talk about his time over there... But he still has a heart and soul.

My husband is ramping up for his 4th deployment soon as yes he has been in dangerous life or death situations.

Quoting lga1965:

I didn't say that about ALL military. But we knew too many POW's and army men who were in Vietnam who lost it.
Was your hubby a POW or did he nearly get killed while in action ?
Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I'll be honest, Your reply just makes me angry...

My husband has not lost his heart or soul as you imply. He also has not lost his humanity. To make such an assumption about so many people is just ignorant. Are some affected more by war than others? Absolutely. But that does NOT mean they lost their heart, soul, or humanity.

Quoting lga1965:

I don't think war is good for anyone's soul or humanity. Who would be happy about causing death and destruction to people who probably have nothing to do with the politics involved. They won't recover from that. They certainly don't "look more alive". In better shape...physically ,maybe,but what about their minds ?

War sucks. If I had received a draft notice in the 1960's and could have been sent to Southeast Asia, I would have gone to Canada. It was not a legitimate war. War kills heart and soul. We knew Air Force flyers who never recovered. Physically they looked fine.

\

Communication is a two way street.  Don't expect me to listen to you if you refuse to listen to me.  We will never move forward until we all listen to EACH OTHER!!

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM

OK, look, maybe it comes from growing up in a military family but it baffles the hell out of me how some people seem shocked that WAR changes people.  The men and women who sign on the dotted line KNOW what they are signing up for.  Some of you need to STOP acting like our military fighting forces go into war thinking it will be the same as when, as kids, they played "war" with their friends. 

lifeforchrist
by on May. 17, 2013 at 1:48 PM

the whties of their eyes brighten up alot which might be due from being in very good shape at that time. The amount of exercise they get probably puts them in the best health.

Quoting purpleducky:

Anyone else notice that the eyes change drastically during?

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on May. 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

OK, look, maybe it comes from growing up in a military family but it baffles the hell out of me how some people seem shocked that WAR changes people.  The men and women who sign on the dotted line KNOW what they are signing up for.  Some of you need to STOP acting like our military fighting forces go into war thinking it will be the same as when, as kids, they played "war" with their friends. 

agreed...

lifeforchrist
by on May. 17, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I think this is powerful. ANd am thankful for all these men.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)