Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

man accused of tricking ex into abortion

Posted by   + Show Post

what is everyone's opinion on this??

TAMPA -- 

Federal investigators said the son of a Lutz fertility doctor tricked his ex-girlfriend into taking a drug that induced an abortion.

John Welden, 28, was denied bail at a hearing Wednesday on a first-degree murder charge.

Investigators said Remee Lee, 26, had wanted to carry their baby to term even though the couple was no longer together.  Welden took Lee to his father's fertility clinic, where the couple learned the fetus was six weeks along.

Prosecutors say Welden told Lee to take amoxicillin tablets, saying his father wanted her to do so for the baby's sake.

Court documents allege Welden actually gave Lee Cytotec, a drug that causes women to go into labor.

A few days later, Lee lost the pregnancy.

Now Welden, who worked as a manager at his father's office, is facing murder charges. He faces life in prison if convicted.

Welden's family refused to comment about the case.  Neither did Lee's lawyer, who also filed a civil suit in federal court alleging battery and emotional distress.

Lee's attorney did say they may add more people to the civil suit who they believe had liability in the death of the fetus.

by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Replies (101-108):
romalove
by Roma on May. 22, 2013 at 6:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting marinequeen:

Why is a baby a fetus when it is not wanted, but when it is wanted it becomes a baby--you can't have it both ways.

An embryo is an embryo.

A fetus is a fetus.

A baby is a baby.

If someone is pregnant with an embryo or fetus, the law gives them the right to abort within certain parameters if they so choose.

If someone else gives a woman medication with the intention of forcing them into an abortion, that would be an assault on the woman, even if the intention was to harm the embryo or fetus.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 22, 2013 at 8:29 AM
I can agree with you there.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I know that. It didn't state that in the article. The entire story sounds fishy.

Quoting LauraKW:

Doctors do give out patient information if the patient has signed a HIPPA release giving permission for the doctor to speak to that specific individual. Most people will sign the release form listing their spouse or significant other in case of emergency. It isn't uncommon at all.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Take a deep breath. If my dh said he talked to my doctor, bells would go off. Related or not. Doctors do NOT give out patient info without permission and if I were pregnant? I would definitely want to ask question regarding the side effects.

I have plenty of compassion for people but this woman really wasn't thinking.

Quoting karlie2:

Ok. Her doctor is her boyfriends father. The boyfriend said - Hey I talked to YOUR DOCTOR and YOUR DOCTOR said you need to take antibotics. Its believable because her doctor is also his father.

So she was supposed to call the doctor and say I have a prescription from YOU and YOU know I'm pregnant is it ok to take the prescription that YOU my doctor wrote for me?

She may be naive but you are utterly lacking in compassion. Do you put on steel toed boots to kick people when they're down?

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

He is a criminal. She is not just trusting but stupid. Anyone who is pregnant and takes prescription drugs without speaking to a doctor is a moron.

Quoting babyspots17:

Which really makes no difference since the girl never actually had an infection and the boyfriend forged the script then changed to labels.  I would like to see the articles that make her look stupid?  Naive and overly trusting yes but stupid?   Seems to me you are blaming her for this guy being evil. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

And it completely unethical and a violation for the "doctor" to tell the boyfriend her medical info and give him the script.

There is a lot missing and everything I am reading is just making her look more and more stupid.

Quoting babyspots17:

She did go to a doctor an ob/gyn who happened to be her boyfriends father.  The boyfriend told her a culture came back with a bacteria infection so his dad wrote her a script and he picked it up for her.  This article is lacking alot of info. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

If it is true, he should be punished.

She is a complete and utter idiot for taking pills while pregnant without going to a doctor.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM
They hand the forms out in every doctor's office, clinic, and hospital I have ever visited. Some people fill them out, some people don't. I'm not sure what your point is about insurance. Even if she was recently on her parent's insurance policy, that doesn't automatically grant them access to her medical records. Nor does it preclude her from giving another person - and only that person - access. I have no statistics to back it up but I will go out on a limb and say it isn't uncommon for a pregnant woman to grant the father access to her records.

Quoting illogicalkat:

They don't just hand those forms to patients, though. At least not at any clinic or hospital that I've ever visited. And it's highly unlikely that a young, unmarried couple would sign releases, especially when this woman would just  have gotten off her parents' insurance.

Quoting LauraKW:

Doctors do give out patient information if the patient has signed a HIPPA release giving permission for the doctor to speak to that specific individual. Most people will sign the release form listing their spouse or significant other in case of emergency. It isn't uncommon at all.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Take a deep breath. If my dh said he talked to my doctor, bells would go off. Related or not. Doctors do NOT give out patient info without permission and if I were pregnant? I would definitely want to ask question regarding the side effects.

Quoting karlie2:

Ok. Her doctor is her boyfriends father. The boyfriend said - Hey I talked to YOUR DOCTOR and YOUR DOCTOR said you need to take antibotics. Its believable because her doctor is also his father.

So she was supposed to call the doctor and say I have a prescription from YOU and YOU know I'm pregnant is it ok to take the prescription that YOU my doctor wrote for me?

She may be naive but you are utterly lacking in compassion. Do you put on steel toed boots to kick people when they're down?

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

He is a criminal. She is not just trusting but stupid. Anyone who is pregnant and takes prescription drugs without speaking to a doctor is a moron.

Quoting babyspots17:

Which really makes no difference since the girl never actually had an infection and the boyfriend forged the script then changed to labels.  I would like to see the articles that make her look stupid?  Naive and overly trusting yes but stupid?   Seems to me you are blaming her for this guy being evil. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

And it completely unethical and a violation for the "doctor" to tell the boyfriend her medical info and give him the script.

There is a lot missing and everything I am reading is just making her look more and more stupid.

Quoting babyspots17:

She did go to a doctor an ob/gyn who happened to be her boyfriends father.  The boyfriend told her a culture came back with a bacteria infection so his dad wrote her a script and he picked it up for her.  This article is lacking alot of info. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

She is a complete and utter idiot for taking pills while pregnant without going to a doctor.

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on May. 22, 2013 at 9:11 AM

This.  This would not be the first time a person was charged with murder of a fetus. And I have to say, if someone killed my six week old fetus, it most definitely would be murder.  Here is a list of state law in reguards to how to define the killing (outside of abortion) for a fetus. 

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/fetal-homicide-state-laws.aspx

Quoting Ziva65:

I don't quite understand this. Implications for who?

Most states have laws against fetal (even an embryo) homicide- it can be aggravated assault to first degree murder. From what I have read, it doesn't have to be viable outside the womb; even if the mom didn't want the baby, it wouldn't matter. A medical procedure, with consent, of course doesn't qualify. If proven though, and if in the right state, it could easily be murder for him. Plus, it's likely proven he had intent. I'm no attorney, that's just my take on it.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Im afraid of the implications in charging him with murder in a six week old fetus.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Right- I know. That's why I said it. It's certainly not the first time.

I meant "implications for who" in response to the poster who was getting at "abortion" etc. There is a clear difference. Some states don't even define the age of the fetus, simply "any human in utero"- and someone can be charged with murder.

Quoting TimetoMomUp:

This.  This would not be the first time a person was charged with murder of a fetus. And I have to say, if someone killed my six week old fetus, it most definitely would be murder.  Here is a list of state law in reguards to how to define the killing (outside of abortion) for a fetus. 

Quoting Ziva65:

Most states have laws against fetal (even an embryo) homicide- it can be aggravated assault to first degree murder. From what I have read, it doesn't have to be viable outside the womb; even if the mom didn't want the baby, it wouldn't matter. A medical procedure, with consent, of course doesn't qualify. If proven though, and if in the right state, it could easily be murder for him. Plus, it's likely proven he had intent. I'm no attorney, that's just my take on it.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Im afraid of the implications in charging him with murder in a six week old fetus.

SentRegards
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
It is fishy. I heard they broke up before the pregnancy too.

While hes been in jail shes been saying that she misses him even though she shouldn't be.

It really sounds like she was trying to keep him by keeping the baby or trying to get the child support since he probably makes good money and he didn't want anything to do with her

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I know that. It didn't state that in the article. The entire story sounds fishy.

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting karlie2:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting babyspots17:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting babyspots17:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on May. 22, 2013 at 10:22 AM

:-)  Sorry for all of the typos too.  I am not skilled at holding a sleeping baby and typing.  lol

Quoting Ziva65:

I meant "implications for who" in response to the poster who was getting at "abortion" etc. There is a clear difference. Some states don't even define the age of the fetus, simply "any human in utero"- and someone can be charged with murder.

Quoting TimetoMomUp:

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Ziva65
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM

no big deal- I should have a qualifying statement like that on all my posts... :)

Quoting TimetoMomUp:

:-)  Sorry for all of the typos too.  I am not skilled at holding a sleeping baby and typing.  lol

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting TimetoMomUp:

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN