Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

man accused of tricking ex into abortion

Posted by   + Show Post

what is everyone's opinion on this??

TAMPA -- 

Federal investigators said the son of a Lutz fertility doctor tricked his ex-girlfriend into taking a drug that induced an abortion.

John Welden, 28, was denied bail at a hearing Wednesday on a first-degree murder charge.

Investigators said Remee Lee, 26, had wanted to carry their baby to term even though the couple was no longer together.  Welden took Lee to his father's fertility clinic, where the couple learned the fetus was six weeks along.

Prosecutors say Welden told Lee to take amoxicillin tablets, saying his father wanted her to do so for the baby's sake.

Court documents allege Welden actually gave Lee Cytotec, a drug that causes women to go into labor.

A few days later, Lee lost the pregnancy.

Now Welden, who worked as a manager at his father's office, is facing murder charges. He faces life in prison if convicted.

Welden's family refused to comment about the case.  Neither did Lee's lawyer, who also filed a civil suit in federal court alleging battery and emotional distress.

Lee's attorney did say they may add more people to the civil suit who they believe had liability in the death of the fetus.

by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this
So he faked his day's signature and then covered up the label with an amoxicillin label?

Disgusting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ziva65
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't quite understand this. Implications for who?

Most states have laws against fetal (even an embryo) homicide- it can be aggravated assault to first degree murder. From what I have read, it doesn't have to be viable outside the womb; even if the mom didn't want the baby, it wouldn't matter. A medical procedure, with consent, of course doesn't qualify. If proven though, and if in the right state, it could easily be murder for him. Plus, it's likely proven he had intent. I'm no attorney, that's just my take on it.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Im afraid of the implications in charging him with murder in a six week old fetus.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM
2 moms liked this

How could you be the son of a ob/gyn...and NOT know to use some type of contraception? Idiot.

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Wtf if he gave her that pill without her knowledge then he certainly should be charged.If he did not want to be charged with murder than he should have thought about that possibility before sneaking that pill into her system.Anybody with a lick of common sense could see that a possible conclusion.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
If it is true, he should be punished.

She is a complete and utter idiot for taking pills while pregnant without going to a doctor.
MelanieJK
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Isn't the Pro-Choice logic (and abortion law logic) that a fetus this age isn't a life,    it's just a minor part of the womans body?      It wouldn't be murder if he cut off some "other" part of her body.    It's just a little bunch of cells that aren't needed or visible...      what would they charge him with if he cut off her big toe.    Not murder.  

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM
5 moms liked this
total double standard. Abortion when it's unwanted, murder when it is wanted? I don't think so. Make it one or the other and quit redefining it as the "need" arises.
momto3B
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:06 PM
2 moms liked this

As horrible as this situation is for the mother, can you even imagine what her life and the child's life would have been like with a such a selfish sick bastard for a father?  I think she dodged a bullet. 

rfurlongg
by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Good point.

Quoting kailu1835:

total double standard. Abortion when it's unwanted, murder when it is wanted? I don't think so. Make it one or the other and quit redefining it as the "need" arises.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM

She did go to a doctor an ob/gyn who happened to be her boyfriends father.  The boyfriend told her a culture came back with a bacteria infection so his dad wrote her a script and he picked it up for her.  This article is lacking alot of info. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

If it is true, he should be punished.

She is a complete and utter idiot for taking pills while pregnant without going to a doctor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)