Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

man accused of tricking ex into abortion

Posted by   + Show Post

what is everyone's opinion on this??

TAMPA -- 

Federal investigators said the son of a Lutz fertility doctor tricked his ex-girlfriend into taking a drug that induced an abortion.

John Welden, 28, was denied bail at a hearing Wednesday on a first-degree murder charge.

Investigators said Remee Lee, 26, had wanted to carry their baby to term even though the couple was no longer together.  Welden took Lee to his father's fertility clinic, where the couple learned the fetus was six weeks along.

Prosecutors say Welden told Lee to take amoxicillin tablets, saying his father wanted her to do so for the baby's sake.

Court documents allege Welden actually gave Lee Cytotec, a drug that causes women to go into labor.

A few days later, Lee lost the pregnancy.

Now Welden, who worked as a manager at his father's office, is facing murder charges. He faces life in prison if convicted.

Welden's family refused to comment about the case.  Neither did Lee's lawyer, who also filed a civil suit in federal court alleging battery and emotional distress.

Lee's attorney did say they may add more people to the civil suit who they believe had liability in the death of the fetus.

by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Replies (21-30):
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM

There has been a law for a few years now in most states that if an unborn fetus is unwillingly killed on purpose it can be considered murder. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Im afraid of the implications in charging him with murder in a six week old fetus.

I agree.

I would like to know more about this.  I may have to google a bit after work.

I don't quite understand why she was told to take the antibiotic and why she would do so so willingly.

As for this man..............I do hope he is indeed punished for his actions.  But I don't know that 'murder' is the way to go forward with this.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on May. 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM
4 moms liked this
I think what he did is despicable, but this is definitely cause for concern...

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Im afraid of the implications in charging him with murder in a six week old fetus.
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM
6 moms liked this
Your mom's stupid.

However you might feel about it, I don't like how the law has the possibility of abuse when deciding if a six week old fetus has the same rights as a viable person. As kailu said, it's either a fetus that can be aborted or a fully protected citizen. There is no justice switching back and forth swaying with the mob mentality on each case. The lives of poor pregnant women will be even more stressful with catty friends and vengeful crackhead neighbors always willing to call CPS and screw with people's lives.
This is a case of aggravated assault and I would add intent to kill because he had no idea what the drug and labor would do to her. He definitely showed depraved indifference to human life. I hope he goes to jail and I know these laws exist in several states but I think they're bad law in general.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Seriously? What a stupid statement.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM

She must have really trusted this guy to take the prescription at his word instead of discussing it with a physician. This guy really needs to be punished if it can be proven that he did this... Such a horrible thing to do to somebody....

Debmomto2girls
by Debbie on May. 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM
And it completely unethical and a violation for the "doctor" to tell the boyfriend her medical info and give him the script.

There is a lot missing and everything I am reading is just making her look more and more stupid.

Quoting babyspots17:

She did go to a doctor an ob/gyn who happened to be her boyfriends father.  The boyfriend told her a culture came back with a bacteria infection so his dad wrote her a script and he picked it up for her.  This article is lacking alot of info. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

If it is true, he should be punished.

She is a complete and utter idiot for taking pills while pregnant without going to a doctor.

MrsSamMerlotte
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM
I was thinking the same thing

Quoting AdrianneHill:

MrsSamMerlotte
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Why is it a stupid statement?

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Seriously? What a stupid statement.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 17, 2013 at 12:48 PM
While horrific, legally a 6 week old fetus can not be murdered. She is better off pursuing a civil case.
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM
He shouldn't be charged with murder.

Quoting MelanieJK:

Isn't the Pro-Choice logic (and abortion law logic) that a fetus this age isn't a life,    it's just a minor part of the womans body?      It wouldn't be murder if he cut off some "other" part of her body.    It's just a little bunch of cells that aren't needed or visible...      what would they charge him with if he cut off her big toe.    Not murder.  

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Which really makes no difference since the girl never actually had an infection and the boyfriend forged the script then changed to labels.  I would like to see the articles that make her look stupid?  Naive and overly trusting yes but stupid?   Seems to me you are blaming her for this guy being evil. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

And it completely unethical and a violation for the "doctor" to tell the boyfriend her medical info and give him the script.

There is a lot missing and everything I am reading is just making her look more and more stupid.

Quoting babyspots17:

She did go to a doctor an ob/gyn who happened to be her boyfriends father.  The boyfriend told her a culture came back with a bacteria infection so his dad wrote her a script and he picked it up for her.  This article is lacking alot of info. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

If it is true, he should be punished.

She is a complete and utter idiot for taking pills while pregnant without going to a doctor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured