Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

man accused of tricking ex into abortion

Posted by   + Show Post

what is everyone's opinion on this??

TAMPA -- 

Federal investigators said the son of a Lutz fertility doctor tricked his ex-girlfriend into taking a drug that induced an abortion.

John Welden, 28, was denied bail at a hearing Wednesday on a first-degree murder charge.

Investigators said Remee Lee, 26, had wanted to carry their baby to term even though the couple was no longer together.  Welden took Lee to his father's fertility clinic, where the couple learned the fetus was six weeks along.

Prosecutors say Welden told Lee to take amoxicillin tablets, saying his father wanted her to do so for the baby's sake.

Court documents allege Welden actually gave Lee Cytotec, a drug that causes women to go into labor.

A few days later, Lee lost the pregnancy.

Now Welden, who worked as a manager at his father's office, is facing murder charges. He faces life in prison if convicted.

Welden's family refused to comment about the case.  Neither did Lee's lawyer, who also filed a civil suit in federal court alleging battery and emotional distress.

Lee's attorney did say they may add more people to the civil suit who they believe had liability in the death of the fetus.

by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Replies (31-40):
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Not necessarily true.   Look up Unborn victims of Violence Act.

Quoting LauraKW:

While horrific, legally a 6 week old fetus can not be murdered. She is better off pursuing a civil case.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM
That doesn't apply in all circumstances as it deals more with acts on federal properties. Also, if the state has a fetal homicide law the state law applies - the federal govt would not prosecute. The fetus in this case does not qualify under FL law.

Quoting babyspots17:

Not necessarily true.   Look up Unborn victims of Violence Act.

Quoting LauraKW:

While horrific, legally a 6 week old fetus can not be murdered. She is better off pursuing a civil case.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM
He is a criminal. She is not just trusting but stupid. Anyone who is pregnant and takes prescription drugs without speaking to a doctor is a moron.

Quoting babyspots17:

Which really makes no difference since the girl never actually had an infection and the boyfriend forged the script then changed to labels.  I would like to see the articles that make her look stupid?  Naive and overly trusting yes but stupid?   Seems to me you are blaming her for this guy being evil. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

And it completely unethical and a violation for the "doctor" to tell the boyfriend her medical info and give him the script.

There is a lot missing and everything I am reading is just making her look more and more stupid.

Quoting babyspots17:

She did go to a doctor an ob/gyn who happened to be her boyfriends father.  The boyfriend told her a culture came back with a bacteria infection so his dad wrote her a script and he picked it up for her.  This article is lacking alot of info. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

If it is true, he should be punished.

She is a complete and utter idiot for taking pills while pregnant without going to a doctor.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM
3 moms liked this

Good point. I'm pro choice, though i do think what he did was wrong i  honestly don't think this guy should be charged with murder for 6 week old fetus. To me it's a slippery slope. 

Quoting kailu1835:

total double standard. Abortion when it's unwanted, murder when it is wanted? I don't think so. Make it one or the other and quit redefining it as the "need" arises.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM
5 moms liked this

Uh uh, nope, no way.  Either a 6 week old fetus IS a life that can be murdered or it is NOT a life that can be murdered.  One or hte other.  I am pro-choice but am SICK of some people deciding that life is based in whether or not the baby is wanted by mom and dad.  Society needs to make that decision and then stick with it.  If a 6 week old fetus being killed is murder in this case, it is murder in ANY case where death is deliberate.   Likewise, if it is NOT murder in EVERY case where death is deliberate, it is NOT murder in this case. 

\

Communication is a two way street.  Don't expect me to listen to you if you refuse to listen to me.  We will never move forward until we all listen to EACH OTHER!!

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Im afraid of the implications in charging him with murder in a six week old fetus.

Me too!

ashellbell
by shellbark on May. 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Eh, this is a super gray area. Murder is rather steep for a six week old fetus. Negligence of some kind?
PestPatti
by on May. 17, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Its not a stupid statement, Florida has fetal homicide laws.  But for whatever reason the man was charged under the Federal statue.  

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Seriously? What a stupid statement.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Im afraid of the implications in charging him with murder in a six week old fetus.

jehosoba84
by Jenn on May. 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM

What if this were *your* baby someone killed? I know you wouldn't take random Rx drugs, so maybe by assault/etc. You wouldn't feel that it was murder? 

Quoting ashellbell:

Eh, this is a super gray area. Murder is rather steep for a six week old fetus. Negligence of some kind?

ashellbell
by shellbark on May. 17, 2013 at 5:47 PM
2 moms liked this
At 6 weeks pregnant? No. I'd be heartbroken but I couldn't justify prosecuting him for murder.

Quoting jehosoba84:

What if this were *your* baby someone killed? I know you wouldn't take random Rx drugs, so maybe by assault/etc. You wouldn't feel that it was murder? 

Quoting ashellbell:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN