Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

man accused of tricking ex into abortion

Posted by   + Show Post

what is everyone's opinion on this??

TAMPA -- 

Federal investigators said the son of a Lutz fertility doctor tricked his ex-girlfriend into taking a drug that induced an abortion.

John Welden, 28, was denied bail at a hearing Wednesday on a first-degree murder charge.

Investigators said Remee Lee, 26, had wanted to carry their baby to term even though the couple was no longer together.  Welden took Lee to his father's fertility clinic, where the couple learned the fetus was six weeks along.

Prosecutors say Welden told Lee to take amoxicillin tablets, saying his father wanted her to do so for the baby's sake.

Court documents allege Welden actually gave Lee Cytotec, a drug that causes women to go into labor.

A few days later, Lee lost the pregnancy.

Now Welden, who worked as a manager at his father's office, is facing murder charges. He faces life in prison if convicted.

Welden's family refused to comment about the case.  Neither did Lee's lawyer, who also filed a civil suit in federal court alleging battery and emotional distress.

Lee's attorney did say they may add more people to the civil suit who they believe had liability in the death of the fetus.

by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Replies (41-50):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I agree with you. She probably trusted him and had no idea he would do something like this. We don't suspect those we trust/love to do something like this to us. 

Horrible. What a horrible thing to do. 

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Why would she have any reason to suspect the man she once dated and was having a CHILD with would abort her baby? She probably trusted him, and I don't see that as any fault of hers.

Quoting FromAtoZ:
Quoting AdrianneHill:
Im afraid of the implications in charging him with murder in a six week old fetus.

I agree.

I would like to know more about this.  I may have to google a bit after work.

I don't quite understand why she was told to take the antibiotic and why she would do so so willingly.

As for this man..............I do hope he is indeed punished for his actions.  But I don't know that 'murder' is the way to go forward with this.

Talee
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM

This is wrong...awful.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the thing lacking here is consent. She didn't consent to this. I don't think this was murder since this was a 6 week fetus, so I would rather have him charged with causing her bodily injury for the drugs he gave her which caused the abortion. 

But this is the double edged sword when it comes to personhood laws. This is part of the slippery slope. 

Quoting kailu1835:
total double standard. Abortion when it's unwanted, murder when it is wanted? I don't think so. Make it one or the other and quit redefining it as the "need" arises.
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I know you aren't talking to me but I personally would not feel that way. I'd feel it would be a horrific assualt on my person. Even if this was done to me I would never want the person to be charged with murder. That is a slippery slope I would never tread down. 

Quoting jehosoba84:

What if this were *your* baby someone killed? I know you wouldn't take random Rx drugs, so maybe by assault/etc. You wouldn't feel that it was murder? 

Quoting ashellbell:

Eh, this is a super gray area. Murder is rather steep for a six week old fetus. Negligence of some kind?
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Yeah this. I would never go down that road. I would be devistated but I would never personally open that door. 

Quoting ashellbell:
At 6 weeks pregnant? No. I'd be heartbroken but I couldn't justify prosecuting him for murder.
Quoting jehosoba84:

What if this were *your* baby someone killed? I know you wouldn't take random Rx drugs, so maybe by assault/etc. You wouldn't feel that it was murder? 

Quoting ashellbell:
Eh, this is a super gray area. Murder is rather steep for a six week old fetus. Negligence of some kind?
Farmlady09
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry, but if I had been that woman and ~ just for the purposes of this thread since I don't take meds ~ I wouldn't have gone to the courts. I know too much about herbals and this guy would have paid in ways he never even imagined ... and since the fda doesn't study or recognize herbal medicine, let him try and prove that in court.

ashellbell
by shellbark on May. 17, 2013 at 6:10 PM
If they charge this man with murder, this opens the door for them to start prosecuting women who can't prove they didn't cause their own miscarriage. No viable life was killed.
ashellbell
by shellbark on May. 17, 2013 at 6:11 PM
**reminder to self: don't ever get on farmlady's bad side**

Quoting Farmlady09:

I'm sorry, but if I had been that woman and ~ just for the purposes of this thread since I don't take meds ~ I wouldn't have gone to the courts. I know too much about herbals and this guy would have paid in ways he never even imagined ... and since the fda doesn't study or recognize herbal medicine, let him try and prove that in court.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Just what i was thinking

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Im afraid of the implications in charging him with murder in a six week old fetus.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

From every account I've read about this, the woman had every intention of carrying her pregnancy to term. Is a woman NOT allowed to choose birth just to protect a woman's right to abort?

Sorry, but this situation is EXACTLY why I think men should also have a choice. Right now a man only has a choice of deciding whether he will become a criminal by not paying child support ... or become a criminal the way this man has (and no, I do not condone what he did at all. He should be strung up imo).

A man should have the same time frame that a woman does to about to decide whether or not to walk away from the pregnancy, the child, and any further rights OR responsibilities ~ without forcing the woman in any way (and taking away a woman's right to force a man).

Both men AND women have a choice of whether or not to have sex, and both have a choice of whether or not to use bc. Both know that bc can fail. Right now the law only gives a woman a right to decide what to do as far as parenting a child ~ but it takes a man to help create that child, and every man should have the same choice a woman does. Women should no more be legally allowed to force men into parenthood than men should women.

Change the law, and this type of situtation won't be making headlines.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)