Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Marines & Umbrellas?

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Jes
  • 387 Replies
2 moms liked this

There are quite a few social media pages filled with angry Marines right now. Why? All because of an umbrella.

According to Marine Corps rules (regulation MCO P1020.34F, to be precise), male Marines are not permitted to carry umbrellas while in uniform.

There are apparently no exceptions to the rule, not even for the commander in chief, without the permission of the Commandant of the Marine Corps.

According to The Marine Corps Uniform Regulations, "No officer or official shall issue instructions which conflict with, alter, or amend any provision without the approval of the Commandant of the Marine Corps."

Do you think the President could have handled a little drizzle or did he need to make 2 Marines break their uniform code?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM
17 moms liked this
I can tell you personally my husband was pissed off.

His words "they are Marines not valets or butlers. He has plenty of assistants to do that shit."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM
4 moms liked this

Is anyone sure the Commandant didn't approve the umbrella holding?  

I must admit that as soon as I saw it on the news this morning I knew someone would be bitching about it here.  

katy_kay08
by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Marines holding umbrellas 'extremely rare'

(CNN) – It's not a sight you'll see very often: two Marines holding umbrellas above President Barack Obama and Turkey's prime minister, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

After sprinkles turned into a steady shower of rain midway through his Rose Garden press conference, Obama called over two Marines to hold the umbrellas aloft.

Regulations prohibit Marines from using umbrellas while in uniform. One reason: it makes it hard to salute.

According to Marine Corps spokesman Capt. Greg Wolf, the sight of uniformed Marines holding umbrellas is "extremely rare" and only happened because the president needed it.

And, of course, Obama is the commander-in-chief. If he orders Marines to hold umbrellas, they hold them, even if they can't properly salute.

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:58 PM
10 moms liked this

lol this nit picking of every thing the President does, says, wear, eats etc is getting childish and old.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure my father wasn't thrilled to see this... Once a Marine... always a Marine...

katy_kay08
by on May. 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dc/2013/05/when-marines-hold-umbrellas

Here is some background: There are usually four Marines detailed to the White House at any given time. They volunteer for what is considered the exclusive duty. Their main duty is to act as (mostly ceremonial) guards outside the West Wing lobby, where they open and close the door for White House officials.

They work in 30-minute shifts for as long as the president is working in the West Wing, finishing when he retires to his private quarters. They are familiar sight to people who visit the White House and visible to tourists outside the gates on the Pennsylvania Avenue.

They aim to be solemn an unflinching. Colleagues lauded a Marine who didn’t react when a Christmas tree feel next to him in 2006 as example for successors.

The Marines work while the President is at work in the West Wing, and finish he retires to his private quarters. 

Attending events like Obama’s Rose Garden presser with Erdogan Thursday is another part of the Marines’ duties.

Neither the White House press office, nor a Marine Corp spokesman, Capt. Gregg Wolf, could immediatly cite another example of Marine’s holding up umbrellas for a president and visiting dignitary.

But Wolf said it is “extremely rare.” 

That's because male Marines normally aren’t allowed to handle umbrellas, which inhibit saluting, while in uniform, Wolf said.

But the Marines who helped out Obama Thursday need not worry. They were allowed to handle the umbrellas because the President requested it.

Female Marines, interestingly, can wield umbrellas, Wolf told the Daily News.

Here’s the order: "3035. UMBRELLAS (Female Marines). Female Marines may carry an all-black, plain standard or collapsible umbrella at their option during inclement weather with the service and dress uniforms. It will be carried in the left hand so that the hand salute can be properly rendered. Umbrellas may not be used/carried in formation nor will they be carried with the utility uniform.”

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 17, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Obama asked them to do it on the spot when it started raining so I'm pretty sure the Commandant wasn't consulted... LOL!

Quoting katy_kay08:

Is anyone sure the Commandant didn't approve the umbrella holding?  

I must admit that as soon as I saw it on the news this morning I knew someone would be bitching about it here.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaycersmom
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Why not move inside if its raining i doubt everyone sitting there and the camera people want to get wet. I can see just finishing since they were half way through but they have loads of assistants that couldve done that.
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM
I'm not nit/picking I just posted because I had to listen to my husband and a bunch of Marines complain about this yesterday! LOL!

Quoting trippyhippy:

lol this nit picking of every thing the President does, says, wear, eats etc is getting childish and old.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 17, 2013 at 1:07 PM
2 moms liked this
They really are the "cockiest" branch...
One of the few as they say.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

I'm sure my father wasn't thrilled to see this... Once a Marine... always a Marine...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)